Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2021, 11:09 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
It's all those healthy things you eat. Just switch to eating a couple of Big Macs every day. They've gone up a little, but you could live indefinitely on Big Macs and spend less than $8 per day. If you are really into saving money, you can get 2 McDoubles for under $4.
I like the impossible whopper deals... $2 for at most $7 is what I'm willing to pay. I actually prefer them to the regular whoppers because they have a more charred taste to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Okay -- someone who regularly shops at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods is not likely ever to buy produce from the 99 cent store. There is no way.

And strawberries for a dollar.....what? WHERE? never.

Dollar tree has dollar bags of berries I buy for Vitamix smoothies. That level of antioxidant power (a bag of blueberries) for a buck is a steal in these times. That or costco sells 4lb bags of blueberries I buy.

If building back better entailed people actually working as opposed to the welfare state we have now where people aren't even seeking jobs because of the low pay relative to the inflation rate, it would probably be an improvement. You have to eliminate long term welfare first... you can't have people on section 8 for 15 years. That's not good policy, it's stupidity, pure stupidity.

Last edited by sholomar; 12-17-2021 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 11:16 AM

23,977 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If gov't imposes price controls, the result will be product shortages because sellers will not participate in a market where they cannot make what they deem as a reasonable profit. They'll just stop selling, the inventory will dry up, & empty shelves will result.

This is precisely what happened in Venezuela when the gov't tried to freeze prices.
Oh' I remember the last round of wage and price controls. We had no shortages where i lived. But the minute the controls were lifted, suppliers raised their prices as far and as fast as they could.

And it happened twice.

IIRC, it is also when reducing the pound of coffee to 14 ounces and making other products smaller in the old size packages, especially candy bars.

Old 12-17-2021, 11:45 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Quote:
If gov't imposes price controls, the result will be product shortages because sellers will not participate in a market where they cannot make what they deem as a reasonable profit. They'll just stop selling, the inventory will dry up, & empty shelves will result.

This is precisely what happened in Venezuela when the gov't tried to freeze prices.
EXCELLENT POINT! I did not think it through when I posted my comment. I was thinking back to the 70's. I don't recall shortages but I was a teen/20's so I may not have noticed. I remember buying my first house at 14% interest in like '81. Seemed normal to me as I had no benchmark. Lost my butt on it too.

Extrapolated out, it's not just price control. If sellers can't sell products affordably due to inflation, they stop carrying them, further exaberating the downward spiral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Phoenix is going to be in LA in a couple of months, this spring Phoenix will be too expensive to live in for anyone making 50 K, or under. Unless they all start sharing rooms. inflation in Phoenix is skyrocketing unless you are middle income, have no kids, good job, educated, lots of home equity, disposable income-America then you won't notice much difference.
Make that $100k.

You haven't lived until you have been stuck in rush hour traffic in Phoenix smog, in July! Probably 150 degrees between car engines and reflected heat off the concrete. Yikes! I'd say, "Gimme LA any day," except at least in Phoenix you can carry a gun to stop car jackers...

They don't call it the Valley of (the FACE of) the Sun fer nuttin' you know!

Old 12-17-2021, 01:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Just like with the unemployment rate, 4.6% is a lie. More like 25%. Maybe it's where I live (lot of retired folk) but it seems hardly anybody is working, except those with cushy govt jobs. Most are doing gig work, or on the dole, or selling dope or catalytic converters...

Let's compare notes. What's happening where you are?
In my desert community (on Earth) we see price increases, much like everywhere else. Our unemployment rate is a whopping 6.5% but much better than the 8.5% of a year ago and it has been dropping. Every place you go is desperate to hire and some businesses are struggling to stay open for regular hours due to staffing shortages. If someone wants to work, there are jobs waiting to be filled - two jobs if you want. Families have savings that they never had before because spending was down. A self-employed friend doing home improvement has to turn down jobs because so many folks are using the savings for home improvement projects. (That won't last forever.) Supply chain shortages are common. I was scheduled for a cholesterol blood test, but it was postponed until February because the lab can't get needed supplies. We know about empty grocery shelves. At the same time, COVID has not abated and, although we have a high vaccination rate, we have a high positive test count and hospitals are full. And, yes, it is mostly the unvaccinated in the hospitals but not entirely. This is not a good time to get sick. Indoor mask mandates are extended now into January. In spite of all of that, the stores are all full of Christmas shoppers and events are going on as planned. I honestly don't know anyone selling drugs or "on the dole". We have seen a modest increase in jobs created over the last year, almost entirely in the private service sector. The "cushy" government employment decreased 2.7% but that was largely teachers or school staff -- not so "cushy" after all. That underscores the serious problems as kids return to school. I know several people who have changed jobs and we hear stories of workers being seduced away by other employers after years of tenure. If you are an experienced manager and you can't find employees because the parent company entry level pay is too low, you start to look around and see other opportunities. This has always been a low cost of living community, but corporations are moving in with higher pay scales. We are seeing housing shortages and increased rents. Amazon just built a warehouse that is the largest in the city and visible miles away. They hired hundreds of workers and brought some in. Intel is hiring and Facebook is expanding its facility south of town. TV and film industry studios have moved into town. You see film crews in town and out in the desert.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:29 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I like the impossible whopper deals... $2 for at most $7 is what I'm willing to pay. I actually prefer them to the regular whoppers because they have a more charred taste to them.

Dollar tree has dollar bags of berries I buy for Vitamix smoothies. That level of antioxidant power (a bag of blueberries) for a buck is a steal in these times. That or costco sells 4lb bags of blueberries I buy.

If building back better entailed people actually working as opposed to the welfare state we have now where people aren't even seeking jobs because of the low pay relative to the inflation rate, it would probably be an improvement. You have to eliminate long term welfare first... you can't have people on section 8 for 15 years. That's not good policy, it's stupidity, pure stupidity.
The impossible whoppers are cooked on the same grill as the beef version. My granddaughter works in a BK. They put the beef and vegan ones side by side.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:43 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Quote:

...and half of Europe

Old 12-17-2021, 01:53 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The impossible whoppers are cooked on the same grill as the beef version. My granddaughter works in a BK. They put the beef and vegan ones side by side.
The charred taste is artificial flavoring. There are a lot of artificial ingredients in the Impossible Whopper and the Beyond Burgers you can buy in the supermarket.

It all depends on what you are willing to eat. But calling "plant based" burgers healthy is a matter of opinion.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:57 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The charred taste is artificial flavoring. There are a lot of artificial ingredients in the Impossible Whopper and the Beyond Burgers you can buy in the supermarket.

It all depends on what you are willing to eat. But calling "plant based" burgers healthy is a matter of opinion.
And they are not vegan being cooked in beef grease.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:10 PM

43,111 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

Quote:
And they are not vegan being cooked in beef grease.
Come on now. Don't make these people feel bad for being on the bandwagon of hip, trendy, "healthy" food now. Don't burst their instagram healthy bubbles

Old 12-17-2021, 05:10 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
It is amazing how deeply divided this country is on EVERYTHING. People who report higher prices are immediately shot down by other posters who scoff at the reports, or say everything is just fine where they are. Can we not agree on anything? Groceries are more expensive this year than they were last year. Anyone who denies this I'd like to know where they shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies