Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 12:06 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Yup, it's not rocket science. In this day of automation, they should be able to create lights that allow drivers to go thru each light without being stuck behind red lights. This is especially doable if they time the lights for the average driver to leave the green on 1st St, drive the speed limit, and make the next four lights with many seconds to spare.

Instead, we see a lot like you cite, you hit every red light for block after block. And it doesn't seem to matter because you catch red lights going north to south, and while driving parallel to you on 1st St going east to west.
There is a intersection by one of our stores...when the light for the truck stop across the street is green...the next light on the main street is red, (causing huge traffic build ups), if that light was set to be green at the same time as the previous intersection light, traffic would flow smoothly. We have argued to the DOT about this for years and they know it causes traffic, but will not change the way the lights cycle.

Someone needs to create SMART traffic control devices, that can sense traffic build up and cycle the lights accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 04:20 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im about 98% sure this is done to increase fuel sales, I see the same thing done in my area, the lights often turn red, when there is no other cars at the intersecting street. We are really DUMB for sitting there like idiots for no reason. LOL

Also, in my area, there are many stretches of road, if you get stuck at one red light...you will get red lights at the next few intersections as well. (the traffic lights are timed to cycle this way).
Yes! This is another thing that just ticks me off about the slow drivers - usually those who are too busy gawking at their phones to notice the 5 speed limit signs they just passed that said "45mph". If I get stuck behind one of those idiots, I will hit every single red light along the route I'm taking. If I can get around them, and speed up to the speed limit, I usually have green through many intersections. If no one is in my way, I can usually make all the lights, sometimes at yellow, and I laugh at the snails behind me who just got stuck sitting for 2 minutes, wasting their time.

But at night, why! Stop turning red the moment I approach the intersection. I was beginning to think my 2020 vehicle had a sensor on it sending signals to the light to turn red. It's so fricken annoying! I don't run them all, it depends on what area I'm in.

If I'm in downtown of the city, no way. Those cops love to hide, I've seen them hiding too many times. Plus, there's a chunk of lights that are 'photo enforced' according to the signs. So you sit there, like an idiot. The only damn car on the road.

In the suburb, I will wait for about 20 seconds, and then, forget it, I'm leaving, I don't care, this is stupid.

The first couple of times I drove way into the night in the suburbs. I was sitting in a turn lane waiting for the light to turn green for the turn. I went through 3 light cycles of those going straight, the cross traffic lights, and still that dumb turn lane signal stayed red. That's when I said, 'Nope, I'm not doing this. Give me a ticket, I'll explain in court how stupid this is.'

And that's when I started to just run them late, late at night when there's no one on the fricken road. Just me, but all the other lights go through their cycles, while me, the only car on the road, sits there through 3 of those cycles? How stupid are these people that they can't design it to detect traffic?

The people who think it's all speeders, are completely oblivious to reality. Some people speeding do cause accidents, and they will speed no matter what rules or cameras or speeds are posted. Some people 'speeding' aren't actually speeding, it just appears that way because so many idiots don't pay attention to the speed limit signs themselves, and they go 10-15 under, holding up everyone. Slow drivers also cause a lot of accidents.

(What gets me the most is that these people won't drive faster on the roads, but put them in a parking lot? Suddenly it's the Indy 500.)

And the worst offenders of all are those aholes on their stupid cell phones. You can see them looking down. They start drifting into the other lane, they were going 45, then suddenly slow way down to 30, you can see them on their phone if you look at them through their own rear view mirror.

I saw one girl...this hag...she kept slamming on her brakes about every 100 feet. When I finally passed her, she was on her laptop! It was in her lap, I could see the cover open, touching her steering wheel. WTactualH, lady?

I have a dash cam. Sometimes, these cell phone jerks tick me off so much, I've fantasized about driving to the police station, handing over my card from the camera, and telling them, "Here you go. Here's all the morons on their phones causing problem in traffic the last 30 minutes". Like I said before, they would make so much money if one of them road along with me, and saw just how many people are more engrossed in their dumb text messages than they are driving.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:21 AM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I saw one girl...this hag...she kept slamming on her brakes about every 100 feet. When I finally passed her, she was on her laptop! It was in her lap, I could see the cover open, touching her steering wheel. WTactualH, lady?
I saw this exact thing on my way home from work 5ish years ago. I was right alongside her and she had her laptop\tablet or whatever it was on her steering wheel. Traffic started moving...she started driving...traffic stopped and POW she rear ended the car in front of her at about 15-20mph doing significant damage to both vehicles.

It was one of those double turn lane things leading up to where you'd then turn onto the on-ramp to get on the interstate.

Not only did she create a mess for the guy she hit, she just added 15-30 minutes to the commutes of THOUSANDS of people that day.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:29 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Pretty serious trampling of the 10th Amendment, methinks.

They own the federal interstates, but not every other roadway in the US. Silly and ignorant proposed abuse of federal power.
Americans had to live with the abuse of federal power during the 55mph speed limit years.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Instead of speed cameras how about devices to change lights based on traffic condition so cars don't sit and idle and/or have to accelerate all the time.

Exactly. Whenever they say it's about safety, it's really about revenue generation. Note how many cities with red light cameras changed (shortened) the traffic light timing to get more drivers to "break the law".

Old 01-31-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
There's more money to had with speed cameras, none with an intelligent grid.

Politicians LOVE having more to play with
There's even more money to be had when underposted speed limits are combined with speed cameras.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Do you suppose Mayor Pete is even aware that speed limits were lowered to 55mph nationwide in the 1970s, and that the American people rejected them and finally got Congress to get rid of the new limits?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law

The National Maximum Speed Limit (NMSL) was a provision of the federal government of the United States 1974 Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act that effectively prohibited speed limits higher than 55 miles per hour (89 km/h). It was drafted in response to oil price spikes and supply disruptions during the 1973 oil crisis and remained the law until 1995.

While federal officials hoped gasoline consumption would fall by 2.2%, the actual savings were estimated at between 0.5% and 1%.

The law was widely disregarded by motorists nationwide, and some states opposed the law,[1][2] but many jurisdictions discovered it to be a major source of revenue.
For those who remember, the national 55mph speed limit was only supposed to last for 1 year in 1974.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"and lower speed limits"
Wasn't it clinton who tried that and put a 55MPH limit on ALL Interstates?

How long did that last?
That was Nixon. The 55 mph limit lasted from 1974-1995. And many states have not returned speed limits to pre-55 levels for revenue generation reasons.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:00 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
I live in Temecula California and they have been creating more and more bicycle lanes, small but effective, and more and more people are using them especially with Ebikes including me.
There are a lot of folk that drive only a few miles to work and in good weather, that's a waste IMO. A lot of people are fat and need some form of exercise to get their blood flowing, So it takes bit longer to get to work, your improving your cardiovascular. When the weather is bad I understand, but here?
The agenda 21 is being implemented through out the world, like it or not. the powers the be want it. you gave them that power. like that?

Old 01-31-2022, 12:13 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,716,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I live in Temecula California and they have been creating more and more bicycle lanes, small but effective, and more and more people are using them especially with Ebikes including me.
There are a lot of folk that drive only a few miles to work and in good weather, that's a waste IMO. A lot of people are fat and need some form of exercise to get their blood flowing, So it takes bit longer to get to work, your improving your cardiovascular. When the weather is bad I understand, but here?
The agenda 21 is being implemented through out the world, like it or not. the powers the be want it. you gave them that power. like that?
And do you see something wrong with your two statements?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies