Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 02:26 PM

3,327 posts, read 1,961,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Yes, let’s do bike lanes on freeways, so men in tights can paddle there. Very democratic and progressive.
No kidding. And considering the road rage out there no way are commuters going to bike to work.

As usual, fuzzy headed democrats are out of touch with reality. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 02:44 PM

1,134 posts, read 404,672 times
Very difficult to do in some cities, like Los Angeles. In many busy areas of the city they'd have to remove a car lane to make room for a new or extended bike lane. A nightmare for drivers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a future statement from Buttigieg: "Folks, it's time for everyone to ride bicycles to work. We're giving you an extra lane."

Old 01-28-2022, 02:50 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,425 times
Zero traffic deaths???... Buttigieg has been sniffing too many unicorn farts.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:59 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,072,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
so he creates 3 things that will cause more people to break the law....and then cameras to catch them doing it
The only thing that could cause me to break the law is me.

So, a slower speed limit will cause people to speed?

A cop who lived 3 blocks from me was shot graveyard dead by a crook that he stopped for a missing brake light. I think cameras to notify people of missing lights would be just fine. The purpose is to correct the missing light. There is no need to fine people.

IMO red light cameras would also be a blessing. The nays always said the cameras could not prove who was driving. The owner of the car is responsible for who drives it. Let the owner pay. I'd be OK with a $500 fine for running a red light.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:59 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,003,655 times
Mayor Pete's primary concern is to have all transportation systems be Equitable.

WTF does that mean???

Are you kidding me??? With bridges falling down, railroads being vandalized, container ships backed-up, and airport problems with 5G networks, 'Pothole' Pete has his priorities completely screwed up!

Old 01-28-2022, 03:10 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,072,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Mayor Pete's primary concern is to have all transportation systems be Equitable.

WTF does that mean???

Are you kidding me??? With bridges falling down, railroads being vandalized, container ships backed-up, and airport problems with 5G networks, 'Pothole' Pete has his priorities completely screwed up!
IDK. But the last time my community didn't have the money to pay the interest on the stadium bonds, the used toll road money. I think toll road money should be spent on roads. Just my .02.

But I think he is talking about all forms of getting where people where they need to be. My town favors drivers over mass transit. There is no bus service where I live. I would need to drive 5 or so miles to a park and ride lot to get downtown.

Many subdivisions were built without sidewalks so kids cannot walk to school. The schools has to provide transportation to those who live 2 miles or more from the school. Kids 3 blocks away can't walk because of no sidewalks. Then the idiot drivers try to run the walking kids into the ditches. SO we pay for more school buses. It is hard for the ISDs to get drivers.

There are ways other than cars to get where one needs to be. Houston had street cars when I was a kid. Worked great. And buses. Anybody could access a bus by walking a few blocks. No more.

Old 01-28-2022, 03:27 PM

118 posts, read 77,729 times
Drivers and pedestrians alike would benefit from looking up from their phones at least at intersections. And though illegal here, many cars have murdered out black windows all around (other than the windshield) that you can't even see the driver. It's amazing how much info you can ascertain regarding intentions when you can make eye contact.

Cameras work best in a police state. We already got rid of red light cameras which studies showed were almost always accompanied by yellow light timing reductions to maximize revenue. Rest assured speed cameras will be tuned for revenue first and safety second...I don't doubt lobbyists from the street camera industry already have their grubby fingerprints all over these types of proposals.

Old 01-28-2022, 04:43 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
The AP is the valid source...

I guess it was when you actually read the entire article.

Lower Speed Limits - Check
Using Speed Cameras - Check
Pushing Public Transportation - Check

Is the AP still a valid source for you?
Yes it is still valid because the complete sentences are:

Over the next two years, he said, his department will provide guidance as well as $5 billion in grants to states to spur lower speed limits and embrace safer road design such as dedicated bike and bus lanes, better lighting and crosswalks.

The strategy recommends pilot programs to study and promote greater use of speed cameras, which the department says could provide more equitable enforcement than police traffic stops.

With the goal being...
“Today we commit that our goal is this: zero. Our goal is zero deaths” from traffic, he said Thursday in announcing the national road safety strategy.

Not a bad goal to work towards with safety being the emphasis and the localities being the decider of what works best for them..

Last edited by VA Yankee; 01-28-2022 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-28-2022, 04:45 PM

6,016 posts, read 2,838,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Yes it is because the complete sentences are:

grants to states to spur lower speed limits and embrace safer road design such as dedicated bike and bus lanes, better lighting and crosswalks.

The strategy recommends pilot programs to study and promote greater use of speed cameras, which the department says could provide more equitable enforcement than police traffic stops.

With the goal being...
“Today we commit that our goal is this: zero. Our goal is zero deaths” from traffic, he said Thursday in announcing the national road safety strategy.

Not a bad goal to work towards with safety being the emphasis and the localities being the decider of what works best for them..
And with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and texting and driving being the main reasons for traffic accidents, what does adding bike lanes or lowering speed limits have to do with lowering traffic fatalities?

Nothing Secretary Buttigieg has proposed will actually solve the problem.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:06 PM

9,322 posts, read 16,659,735 times
Is anyone that Biden chose for his administration qualified or experienced to do the job for which they were appointed and paid $220K a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies