Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 04:31 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Same with my town. A couple years ago a four-lane street was reduced to two lanes for 6 blocks to make way for bike lanes. More to come: https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/ci...bb0687c22.html
They were going to reduce a 4 lane road to 3 lane...main artery through town... They got their asses chewed by me among others and instead increased it to 5 lanes. It was the state though that said they'd never fund such a project... reducing the lanes on an already busy road for something that rarely get used. The more they do stuff like this the more I will speed. I detest the nanny state whether it says I have to wear a mask, can't smoke pot, or have to drive like a snail with forced road obstructions to slow everything down.

I'm sorry I know it's taboo to ride a bike in the sidewalk but why have sidewalks and bike lanes? Just widen the sidewalk a foot and make them non motor vehicle pedestrian lanes. Most bikers don't like using bike lanes they get full of rocks from vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 06:02 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If I knew full well that there were no drugs or nothing else illegal in my car, then I'd let them search it.
What about a cavity search?

Old 01-30-2022, 06:14 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
They were going to reduce a 4 lane road to 3 lane...main artery through town... They got their asses chewed by me among others and instead increased it to 5 lanes. It was the state though that said they'd never fund such a project... reducing the lanes on an already busy road for something that rarely get used. The more they do stuff like this the more I will speed. I detest the nanny state whether it says I have to wear a mask, can't smoke pot, or have to drive like a snail with forced road obstructions to slow everything down.

I'm sorry I know it's taboo to ride a bike in the sidewalk but why have sidewalks and bike lanes? Just widen the sidewalk a foot and make them non motor vehicle pedestrian lanes. Most bikers don't like using bike lanes they get full of rocks from vehicles.
A lot of what you're talking about is embodied in the requirements to receive federal/state money-incorporate multi-modal into your road plans. Which means, mostly, bike lanes and sidewalks.

This isn't new, it's been going on for almost thirty years. At the beginning it wasn't necessarily a requirement but you'd go to the top of the request pile and get more money. Now it's required.

https://www.marylandmatters.org/2021...n-nice-bridge/

https://www.somdnews.com/independent...7cd80d6e9.html

Old 01-30-2022, 06:24 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,303,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post

Don't go blocking bike lanes when Sean Avery is around. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Xi...DSjGaEDdMYKfPE

Old 01-30-2022, 06:47 AM

1,701 posts, read 614,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-speed-limits/

From the article: "Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg vowed Thursday to stem rising traffic fatalities by imposing a host of fresh restrictions on everyday drivers while boosting those who choose to walk or use bicycles.

To that end he seeks more dedicated bus and bike lanes to get people out of their cars, retimed signals to favor pedestrians, enhanced speed cameras, greater traffic law enforcement and lower speed limits as part of the plan.

Buttigieg told the Associated Press new federal data being released next week will show another increase in traffic fatalities through the third quarter of 2021.

He believes the third-quarter numbers were expected to point to another sizable increase in deaths compared with the same period in 2020, adding to a half-year traffic death total of 20,160 that already was the highest half-year figure since 2006.

“It doesn’t look good, and I continue to be extremely concerned about the trend,†Buttigieg said in a phone interview with AP ahead of the strategy’s release on Thursday.

It urges pilot programs to study and promote greater use of speed cameras, which the department says could provide more equitable enforcement than police traffic stops."

So, reducing freedom of the average American in the name of safety..... Where have we heard that before?

How many of these traffic fatalities are cause by people under the influence of alcohol and drugs, or were texting and driving? We should be addressing those things, none of which would be solved by adding bicycle lanes everywhere. And get ready for these new and improved speeding cameras, where I'm sure if you're a mile over the limit, you'll get a nice fine in the mail..... 1984 style.

Another completely disengaged democrat. Traffic accidents can actually go up when speed limits are reduced. From my experience on the crazy roads, what is needed is to reduce distracted driving mostly from cell phones these days and reduce the aggressive driver/speeding. It’s not the speed limits that are the problem it’s the overly aggressive driver, and of course driving under the influence.

I never thought I would say this, but I am warming up to the idea of speed cameras. Something has to be done about the aggressive drivers and the cops just watch them go by or are completely non existent. I live near the most deadly stretch of highway in the nation and between aggressive drivers, distracted drivers and drivers under the influence it is a scary proposition to drive.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:53 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-speed-limits/

From the article: "Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg vowed Thursday to stem rising traffic fatalities by imposing a host of fresh restrictions on everyday drivers while boosting those who choose to walk or use bicycles.

To that end he seeks more dedicated bus and bike lanes to get people out of their cars, retimed signals to favor pedestrians, enhanced speed cameras, greater traffic law enforcement and lower speed limits as part of the plan.

{snip}
The nation is in dire need of ten of thousands of truck drivers, thousands of airline pilots, and the trains are being robbed in California, so much so, that Union Pacific is threatening to stop providing service. And our dumb asses Biden admin and the idiots in Congress are wasting money on silly stuff.

We will have empty store shelves, but plenty of new bike paths, speeding tickets by mail, etc...

Wanted: 80,000 truck drivers to help fix the supply chain

(CNN)The trucking industry is short 80,000 drivers, a record high, Chris Spear, President and CEO of the American Trucking Associations, tells CNN.

Truck drivers move 71% of the US economy's goods, but represent just 4% of the vehicles on the roads, said Spear.

The US is facing a serious shortage of airline pilots

(CNN) — The national security of the United States relies on a healthy airline industry. That requires modern reliable airplanes -- and highly skilled pilots to operate them.
However, the United States has a shortage of pilots right now, particularly at the regional airline levels.
According to the Federal Aviation Administration, there were about 827,000 pilots in America in 1987. Over the past three decades, that number has decreased by 30%.

Union Pacific threatens to leave LA, citing rampant cargo theft

The images are stunning. They show thousands of busted shipping boxes littering the Union Pacific (UP) tracks leading to Downtown Los Angeles.

If the current situation continues, UP says it may stop operating in LA County altogether.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
Another completely disengaged democrat. Traffic accidents can actually go up when speed limits are reduced. From my experience on the crazy roads, what is needed is to reduce distracted driving mostly from cell phones these days and reduce the aggressive driver/speeding. It’s not the speed limits that are the problem it’s the overly aggressive driver, and of course driving under the influence.

I never thought I would say this, but I am warming up to the idea of speed cameras. Something has to be done about the aggressive drivers and the cops just watch them go by or are completely non existent. I live near the most deadly stretch of highway in the nation and between aggressive drivers, distracted drivers and drivers under the influence it is a scary proposition to drive.
Everyone will know where the cameras are at, so the speeders will still speed where there are no cameras. And the people who want to speed will not have legible or legitimate plates on their cars, or no plates at all. When the general flow of traffic is 12-15 miles over the speed limit, it's not going to be one person, where the camera zooms in to snap a photo. It's going to be hundreds of cars zooming by, and those cameras will not be able to tilt/zoom/snap photos, and give them all tickets. I don't see that happening.

Besides, it's not the people driving fast that are the cause of accidents, it's people rubbernecking, looking at their phones and drifting into the wrong lane, ignoring their blind spots, and generally not paying attention and making sudden changes in direction without notice, who cause the majority of accidents.

Speeding ticket cameras are about useless. Red light cameras, now that... would be very useful.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This!

I sometimes work well into the wee hours of the early mornings. I am talking about working all night and up to about 4am. Countless times, no one is on the road, but the stupid light turns red as soon as I approach it.

And I sit there, for absolutely no reason at all.

I won't lie, I have run many of them, after checking to see if any cops are around or hiding. I'm not going to be controlled by a 'machine' when I can think for myself, 'Gee, I'm literally the only person on this entire road, in both directions, and there's no one coming left or right, on the other road. But the light says I must sit here, so I must obey.'

Hell with that.

Also, what I've noticed while driving 42,000 miles over the last 2 years, mainly on city streets, is that the main reason there are speeders, and those who run red lights (not meaning at 4 in the morning when they're the only ones around), is because people are already driving too slow.

Example where I live: A lot of roads are 45mph. Do the people go 45mph? NO! They go 35, or even 30. And you hit every. single. damn. red. light. because of them. And the lights last forever. The slowing down and more stopping is WHY so many are speeding and running lights. They are sick of it. Of course some people speed just because, but that's not the majority - you can see people getting irritated at that one white car (it's always a white car - what is it with white car drivers), puttering along at 30mph on a 45mph road, holding up a long line of cars behind them, hitting every red light, taking their sweet damn time going when the light finally turns green....if you look at the people behind you, in front of you, you can see them getting worked up.

I drive every day, all day long. I pay attention to not just the road, not just the cars, but the people in them. You can get a good idea of what a person is about to do by watching the driver of the car - it has saved me from many accidents, because I can see that numbnuts is about to do something stupid, but I got a second or 2 headstart in avoiding it because I watch the driver.

How about we start giving tickets to those who are going well under the speed limit and holding up cars? How about we start getting serious about the morons who are on their cell phones? They are everywhere! Young and old, alike. Every. Where! If the cops were to ride along with ME, they could make a ton of money ticketing all the people I see on their dumb phones while driving. Not talking - texting - while they drive.

That's what causes accidents, not some speed limit that this idiot thinks is 'too high'.
Im about 98% sure this is done to increase fuel sales, I see the same thing done in my area, the lights often turn red, when there is no other cars at the intersecting street. We are really DUMB for sitting there like idiots for no reason. LOL

Also, in my area, there are many stretches of road, if you get stuck at one red light...you will get red lights at the next few intersections as well. (the traffic lights are timed to cycle this way).

Old 01-30-2022, 11:45 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,796,665 times
Another useless bureaucrat manufacturing yet another problem to waste taxpayer money on useless things to justify their useless bureaucracy.

Yet another solution looking for a problem.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im about 98% sure this is done to increase fuel sales, I see the same thing done in my area, the lights often turn red, when there is no other cars at the intersecting street. We are really DUMB for sitting there like idiots for no reason. LOL

Also, in my area, there are many stretches of road, if you get stuck at one red light...you will get red lights at the next few intersections as well. (the traffic lights are timed to cycle this way).
Yup, it's not rocket science. In this day of automation, they should be able to create lights that allow drivers to go thru each light without being stuck behind red lights. This is especially doable if they time the lights for the average driver to leave the green on 1st St, drive the speed limit, and make the next four lights with many seconds to spare.

Instead, we see a lot like you cite, you hit every red light for block after block. And it doesn't seem to matter because you catch red lights going north to south, and while driving parallel to you on 1st St going east to west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies