Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 05:13 PM

19,223 posts, read 17,105,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
And with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and texting and driving being the main reasons for traffic accidents, what does adding bike lanes or lowering speed limits have to do with lowering traffic fatalities?

Nothing Secretary Buttigieg has proposed will actually solve the problem.
Road design does make a difference and when "better lighting and crosswalks. " are added where they were previously lacking safety for other than the vehicles improves.

But heck seeing "driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and texting and driving being the main reasons for traffic accidents," according to you why bother right. Safety isn't just for cars but others who travel in localities and the proposals are just that "proposals", the locality is choosing what's right for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Is anyone that Biden chose for his administration qualified or experienced to do the job for which they were appointed and paid $220K a year?
Not much different from his predecessor who was the wife of Mitch McConnell and the daughter of a Chinese shipping magnet, gotta love the nepotism and conflict of interest...

Old 01-28-2022, 05:28 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,808,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What no unicorn lanes or rainbow bridges?
Are you kidding? Have seen the bridges in South Bend, Indiana?
He didn't fix any potholes, but the bridges are simply fabulous.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:33 PM

6,038 posts, read 2,856,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Road design does make a difference and when "better lighting and crosswalks. " are added where they were previously lacking safety for other than the vehicles improves.

But heck seeing "driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and texting and driving being the main reasons for traffic accidents," according to you why bother right. Safety isn't just for cars but others who travel in localities and the proposals are just that "proposals", the locality is choosing what's right for them.
Yes, better designed crosswalks with better lighting benefit drivers and pedestrians, but that is a small portion of what Secretary Buttigieg is proposing.

None of the solutions presented by Secretary Buttigieg solve ANY of the main causes of traffic fatalities, because that is something the government cannot control (though they'll do their best to) . There is a risk for everything in life, especially once we step behind the wheel of a car. That's a risk we've all come to accept. Risk is a part of life. Risk mitigation has to be reasonable. Lowering speed limits isn't reasonable.

Why is the Federal Government dictating how local municipalities design their roadways, to begin with? It seems like government overreach, to me.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:37 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Pretty serious trampling of the 10th Amendment, methinks.

They own the federal interstates, but not every other roadway in the US. Silly and ignorant proposed abuse of federal power.
Well, he's a Democrat, so there's that. When did they ever let little things like laws stop them?

Real question-how did we end up with this big a moron as transportation secretary? Instead of addressing transportation issues, he wants people to play with toys? He's as much of an idiot as his boss.

Now, if you were concerned about highway safety and pollution-you'd promote a company with the worlds safest driver assistance system that happens to be the world leader in electric cars, and builds them with American workers.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, better designed crosswalks with better lighting benefit drivers and pedestrians, but that is a small portion of what Secretary Buttigieg is proposing.

None of the solutions presented by Secretary Buttigieg solve ANY of the main causes of traffic fatalities, because that is something the government cannot control (though they'll do their best to) . There is a risk for everything in life, especially once we step behind the wheel of a car. That's a risk we've all come to accept. Risk is a part of life. Risk mitigation has to be reasonable. Lowering speed limits isn't reasonable.

Why is the Federal Government dictating how local municipalities design their roadways, to begin with? It seems like government overreach, to me.
I agree that personal behaviors are one of the chief causes but it will take the courts to drive that point home, but I doubt people will get the message. Lowering speed limits can be as simple as reducing an intown street from 45 to 35 due to congestion and heavy pedestrian flow, I think everyone thinks of interstates and I don't see many people walking on I-95.

I don't think their dictating but offering ideas and funding because so many localities place little emphasis on road conditions , upkeep or improvements. Just travel I-95 through South Carolina it looks like a garbage dump from one end to the other with poor upkeep, cross the line into North Carolina and its 180 out, clean & maintained. Local roads are no different.

I work in a place that the running joke is "how many deaths does it take at an intersection to get a traffic light study" , the sad part is without these types of incentives more people may die till something like they mention is done...

1,225 posts, read 3,230,680 times
The speed camera plan wouldn't likely work.

Here in the Denver area, there are speed cameras set up randomly and moved around. I believe the threshold is that if you are going more than 10mph over the speed limit, they send you a ticket by mail with a picture of you and your license plate. It's a small fine. The problem is that the local news picked up on the legality (or lack thereof) of a municipality issuing a citation without having an officer serve the ticket. There are also several other factors that make the ticket worthless and unenforceable in Colorado. I have received a couple by mail and shredded them when they came in the mail. I'm not sure if anyone really pays the tickets, as they are merely a revenue scam.

Speed does not always kill. Americans actually drive slow compared to many other developed nations. Most Americans would pee their pants if they had to drive on the highways around Europe. Interestingly, even though European highways have higher speeds and people drive much faster (think the autobahn), their fatality rates are much lower. Unlike the U.S., European drivers are highly trained and obtaining a license is much more difficult. They also seem to be more aware of and more diligently observe common safety measures (they don't clog the passing lane, they tend to use blinkers, and leave more following distance).

If the U.S. wants to improve highway safety, let's start with better driver training and stricter licensing requirements. Not placing silly speed cameras around that may or may not even hold up to legal scrutiny if challenged in court.

Quote:
How does adding some bike lanes address traffic fatalities, when most accidents are caused by texting and driving, and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs?
Let alone when bicycle fatalities per mile traveled are much higher than autos-an order of magnitude or more. We should be mandating crash testing, automated emergency braking, mandatory equipment to stop bicycles from running red lights, and of course air bag on bicycles. If it saves just one life, right?

Old 01-28-2022, 05:58 PM

https://www.advocacyadvance.org/2021...-the-pandemic/

Quote:
Bicycle Accidents Increased During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Many cities throughout the United States reported increases in the number of bicycle accidents during the pandemic shutdown. The increase in bicycle accidents coincided with a steep decrease in the number of car accidents.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2772...97840745111227

Quote:
So we’ll compare risk at both the 6.2 billion and 21 billion miles traveled levels.

784 cyclists died in 2005 (p. 86). That would make the death rate of 0.37 to 1.26 deaths per 10 million miles.

33,041 motorists/passengers died (p. 86) from 3 trillion miles traveled (p. 15), making their death rate 0.11 per 10 million miles traveled.

So cyclists are either 3.4x or 11.5x as likely to die as motorists, per passenger mile. Neither conclusion is very happy.
Now, if we actually cared about saving lives due to accidents-we'd be banning bicycles and pushing them into far safer automobiles.

Buttboy lies, people die.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The only thing that could cause me to break the law is me.

So, a slower speed limit will cause people to speed?

A cop who lived 3 blocks from me was shot graveyard dead by a crook that he stopped for a missing brake light. I think cameras to notify people of missing lights would be just fine. The purpose is to correct the missing light. There is no need to fine people.

IMO red light cameras would also be a blessing. The nays always said the cameras could not prove who was driving. The owner of the car is responsible for who drives it. Let the owner pay. I'd be OK with a $500 fine for running a red light.
The thing is though, when cops pull people over for those kinds of things (like broken tail light, or directional flasher, license plate bulb, etc)...its not really about those minor things, they hope to discover more crimes, like an active warrant for the driver or passenger, under the influence, etc.

The broken lights is just the excuse to justify pulling them over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies