Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 08:47 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I'll vote for that. But getting the feds out of state business will be tough. It would be easier for the states to tell the feds to KMA by not taking their money. States, schools and locals love that federal money.

They can't figure out that by the time their own citizens's tax money gets back to them, the fed agencies and bureaucrat overhead have a lot of it.
Problem there is the feds money is the states money which is ultimately the money of the individual taxpayer. what should happen is allowing the states to opt out and quit funding the feds redistributions schemes.
Not likely to happen…voluntarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 08:54 AM

588 posts, read 225,457 times
Let’s fix the potholes and crappy roads before introducing red light and speed cameras.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:04 AM

6,038 posts, read 2,854,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The lowering of the speed limits should start in Las Vegas/Sinless City. I lived there for 22 years, 45MPH on all the major avenues and if you find someone even driving 50MPH on these wide avenues, you're hallucinating!

So many of these major avenues are 3 lanes in each direction with a lane in the middle. Try crossing one of these streets some time, and see if you can get across all 7 lanes without getting hit!
If they don't care about they speed limit now, why would they care about it if it's lowered?

Ultimately, one's own character and morals dictate if they follow the law. It's up to the people to decide whether they will follow the law.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:57 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
If they don't care about they speed limit now, why would they care about it if it's lowered?

Ultimately, one's own character and morals dictate if they follow the law. It's up to the people to decide whether they will follow the law.
AT 45MPH, they drive 50-60MPH, lower it to 35MPH and they'll drive 40-50 MPH!

Old 01-29-2022, 06:59 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Secretary Buttigieg Vows More Bike Lanes, Bus Lanes, Lower Speed Limits, and Enhanced Speed Cameras

Did he say anything about roads, bridges, airports etc.? Or were the bike lanes and speed cameras it?

Old 01-29-2022, 07:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
My little town must be reading his thoughts. It is making the town bike friendly, eliminating car lanes, adding bike lanes, etc. You see about one bike riding in the bike lanes per month. We have two bikes shops in town and I suspect the owners are on the committees.
Same with my town. A couple years ago a four-lane street was reduced to two lanes for 6 blocks to make way for bike lanes. More to come: https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/ci...bb0687c22.html

Old 01-29-2022, 11:56 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How many are for non-crimes like drug possession?
In certain parts of town, this is the main reason why cops pull people over...They are on the look out for DRUGS!!

Ive been in a car that was stopped by police they asked where we had been and where we are going, they believed we had drugs in the car, they asked the driver to allow them to search, she said absolutely NOT...the cops then started intimidating and threatening her with arrest and jail time if she did not allow the search...naturally they used the most pathetic excuse..."If you dont have any drugs, what are you worried about"? LOL

The driver refused to give in though and eventually they let us go on our way, but it took about 45 minutes, the girl was distraught from the intimidation. I say if police are allowed to intimidate and threaten citizens, well, citizens should be allowed to do the same thing to the police!

Had I known what I do today, I would have asked those cops if they had their bibles and crosses with them, (looking for those EVIL drugs). LOL

Old 01-30-2022, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1978 View Post
Let’s fix the potholes and crappy roads before introducing red light and speed cameras.
But the big problem is that in my town they want you to vote YES to increase the city sales tax for street maintenance by 50%, if you want the potholes fixed faster and the bad streets repaved faster.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
In certain parts of town, this is the main reason why cops pull people over...They are on the look out for DRUGS!!

Ive been in a car that was stopped by police they asked where we had been and where we are going, they believed we had drugs in the car, they asked the driver to allow them to search, she said absolutely NOT...the cops then started intimidating and threatening her with arrest and jail time if she did not allow the search...naturally they used the most pathetic excuse..."If you dont have any drugs, what are you worried about"? LOL

The driver refused to give in though and eventually they let us go on our way, but it took about 45 minutes, the girl was distraught from the intimidation. I say if police are allowed to intimidate and threaten citizens, well, citizens should be allowed to do the same thing to the police!

Had I known what I do today, I would have asked those cops if they had their bibles and crosses with them, (looking for those EVIL drugs). LOL
If I knew full well that there were no drugs or nothing else illegal in my car, then I'd let them search it.

Old 01-30-2022, 03:38 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
How many potholes will be fixed? Instead of speed cameras how about devices to change lights based on traffic condition so cars don't sit and idle and/or have to accelerate all the time.

Pandering to base and attempting to show he's working.

Pffffftttttttttt
This!

I sometimes work well into the wee hours of the early mornings. I am talking about working all night and up to about 4am. Countless times, no one is on the road, but the stupid light turns red as soon as I approach it.

And I sit there, for absolutely no reason at all.

I won't lie, I have run many of them, after checking to see if any cops are around or hiding. I'm not going to be controlled by a 'machine' when I can think for myself, 'Gee, I'm literally the only person on this entire road, in both directions, and there's no one coming left or right, on the other road. But the light says I must sit here, so I must obey.'

Hell with that.

Also, what I've noticed while driving 42,000 miles over the last 2 years, mainly on city streets, is that the main reason there are speeders, and those who run red lights (not meaning at 4 in the morning when they're the only ones around), is because people are already driving too slow.

Example where I live: A lot of roads are 45mph. Do the people go 45mph? NO! They go 35, or even 30. And you hit every. single. damn. red. light. because of them. And the lights last forever. The slowing down and more stopping is WHY so many are speeding and running lights. They are sick of it. Of course some people speed just because, but that's not the majority - you can see people getting irritated at that one white car (it's always a white car - what is it with white car drivers), puttering along at 30mph on a 45mph road, holding up a long line of cars behind them, hitting every red light, taking their sweet damn time going when the light finally turns green....if you look at the people behind you, in front of you, you can see them getting worked up.

I drive every day, all day long. I pay attention to not just the road, not just the cars, but the people in them. You can get a good idea of what a person is about to do by watching the driver of the car - it has saved me from many accidents, because I can see that numbnuts is about to do something stupid, but I got a second or 2 headstart in avoiding it because I watch the driver.

How about we start giving tickets to those who are going well under the speed limit and holding up cars? How about we start getting serious about the morons who are on their cell phones? They are everywhere! Young and old, alike. Every. Where! If the cops were to ride along with ME, they could make a ton of money ticketing all the people I see on their dumb phones while driving. Not talking - texting - while they drive.

That's what causes accidents, not some speed limit that this idiot thinks is 'too high'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies