Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 09:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Over the years? Hundreds. NOT THAT IT MATTERS!!!!!

These days, I can tell a good teacher by one simple statement they offer up: "If I had kids now, I would homeschool them."

Multiple teachers >40 years old have told me that. THEY don't even believe that what they are doing is worthwhile. I understand from your posts that accepting whatever drivel government gives us is what we should do. Even if it's garbage. Carry on with the blind and relenting obedience and celebration of government. Who cares if kids can't read.
Public school teachers are the professional demographic with the most children attending private school. We all get that.

That doesn't equate to "public school teachers don't care if your child can read".

I will admit that part of my partiality toward public school is I live in an EXCELLENT school district, that challenged my kids and the teachers shepherded them to success. Very caring, very dedicated teachers, caring, dedicated principals, a caring, dedicated school board. So there's that.

I do realize that the media (and forums like this one) seem to fall all over themselves trying to ferret out and highlight examples of bad public schools.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:16 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Public school teachers are the professional demographic with the most children attending private school. We all get that.

That doesn't equate to "public school teachers don't care if your child can read".
They aren't saying: I'd put my kids in private school.

They are saying: I'd HOMESCHOOL my kids.

Why? To get them OUT of the school system.

Kudos in your attempt to move the goal post, though.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:17 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

Quote:
They aren't saying: I'd put my kids in private school.

They are saying: I'd HOMESCHOOL my kids.

Why? To get them OUT of the school system.

Kudos in your attempt to move the goal post, though.
I don't know who your friends are, and what they're saying.

What I do know, statistically, is what I posted.

And . . . what teachers are actually doing. Enrolling their kids in private schools.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:18 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
A high SAT accompanied by a low history of academic performance.
Academic ability != Academic performance != Academic success

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"it sure seems like the teachers union members have done a bang up job pumping out illiterate kids"

Yet my previos state would AUTOMATICALLY give "teachers" a RAISE when they got their Masters degree WITHOUT improving their students GPAs.
And we as a country spend more for education than any other country. Shows where the money goes down the bureaucratic rabbit hole.

Trump tried to get merit pay for teachers happening, and school choice, but the democrats and teacher unions……

Quote:

I will admit that part of my partiality toward public school is I live in an EXCELLENT school district, that challenged my kids and the teachers shepherded them to success. Very caring, very dedicated teachers, caring, dedicated principals, a caring, dedicated school board. So there's that.

I do realize that the media (and forums like this one) seem to fall all over themselves trying to ferret out and highlight examples of bad public schools.

How many years ago was this?

Are you basing all of your posts supporting the public/private school system based on what schools were like 30 - 40 years ago?

Not. Even. Close. To what's going on today.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
How many years ago was this?

Are you basing all of your posts supporting the public/private school system based on what schools were like 30 - 40 years ago?

Not. Even. Close. To what's going on today.
I'm talking about today. Really, really excellent public school district.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
I’m tired of all this bashing of college students, book banning and trashing the liberal arts. As a retired school librarian it saddens me that it might just keep getting worse. I once sported a bumper sticker. “We still read”.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=2104520a4c90
Here is the link to the underlying study of 12,330 people aged 16-74 between 2012-2017 in all 3141 counties and DC. It relied on small area estimation models to arrive at conclusions.

https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/piaac/

As you are probably aware, the US Navy contracted with J. Peter Kincaid in the early 70’s to standardize reading levels and correspond them to grade levels. This led to the US military to change the presentation of their training materials to appeal to the greatest audience of enlisted people. The outcome became known as the Flesch- Kincaid Readability test.

News and media have long targeted their audiences by literacy level. The Reader’s Digest was, for many decades, the best selling consumer magazine in the US This was no accident because it appealed to the lowest literacy level in terms of # words in a sentence and # syllables per word because long words/ sentences are harder to read. It also purposely kept articles very short to hold reader’s attention span.

Now days, it too often seems as though many don’t read beyond a headline and tend to be more attracted to sensational headlines. News that used to be buried on page 5 of local news, may now become an international sensation, in a blink of an eye. Readers don’t often seem to distinguish between raw numbers and rates.

I struggle with small samplings of the public to determine anything.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I don't know who your friends are, and what they're saying.

What I do know, statistically, is what I posted.

And . . . what teachers are actually doing. Enrolling their kids in private schools.
These are people that I know. When education comes up, that's what they say.

I can see this idea upsets you tremendously.

Why are you so hellbent on proving my PERSONAL STATEMENTS wrong?

Creepy. Weird.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:21 AM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
No it doesn't. A high SAT accompanied by a low history of academic performance is the death nell.

If you've got BOTH high SAT and history of academic success, yes, that's a good indicator that the student will be successful in college.
So you are now arguing that colleges should keep the SAT.

The SAT is factually the #1 predictor of college success. Statistics deniers that don't get math can hyperfocus on the exceptions, but that is for silly people pushing an agenda that they can't do in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies