Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 08:54 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
know a guy, that we intro as thus: " he has launched more tonnage than any man alive......and his wife has shot it down" too much more and I end up doxxing him. anyone in the biz knows EXACTLY who he/they are. so yes. and no, 'rocket scientists' are not liberal for the simple fact that engines do not have feelings. hang out with them more. they are not politically driven.
It's ironic that you say I should hang out with rocket scientists more often.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:57 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you sure that's an unnecessary skill? Let me give an example...

A person has a multiple choice between:

A) Paying off high-interest debt as quickly as possible
B) Making only the minimum payment each time on high-interest debt
C) Defaulting on the debt and trashing their credit rating
I'm sure multiple choice answers are an unnecessary skill.

This isn't a multiple choice question where you pick an answer and go on.

This is realizing you have options, and researching them, and deciding to choose the one that works best in your situation.

You don't just go um, um, I pick B.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:57 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
Quote:
I absolutely 100% disagree with that, and here's why...

Sad but common story, this one from Detroit. A High School valedictorian, despite earning a stellar GPA her entire academic career, is struggling in remedial algebra at Michigan State, a class she'll need to pass to take the even higher-level math classes required for the degree she's pursuing in Biomedical Laboratory Science.

Detroit students settling into their first semester of college need massive remedial support
And, this of course, has led to the destructive woke campaign that math is racist - esp at the college level.

So, as the bar gets lowered for college entrance, the bar is being lowered even as we argue to abolish math proficiency at the college level - EVERYONE gets a degree in the name of equity.

Hooray! Equity thru mediocrity!

Zoooom....there goes the rest of the world whizzing by as the US sinks in world standings for the basics of reading, math, science.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Did you read it? The opinion piece quoted is not written by a librarian, but the librarian's writing includes this excerpt:

Decolonizing is not meant to exclude. When we talk about decolonizing a syllabus, or our libraries, publishing houses, or our professions, what we are talking about is decentering whiteness, and being more inclusive to voices of color and to voices that represent diverse perspectives.

THAT is a librarian for you. Bring on all the books, please, not just the ones written by a certain segment or espousing a specific idea.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:00 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm sure multiple choice answers are an unnecessary skill.

This isn't a multiple choice question where you pick an answer and go on.
Yes, it is, 100%.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:04 AM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
I have a close family member who works in admissions at a major Texas university.

After looking at the SAT for decades, they've determined that students who flunk out, and don't leave their dorm rooms, and drop classes so they fall below full time status, who linger and don't graduate, typically have SAT scores that are higher than expected, for that outcome.

Because SAT isn't an indicator of success, taken in the absence of other factors like high school performance.

Especially a caution is the student who scores very well on the SAT but is in the bottom quartile of their class. Something colleges used to think was fine - they set an SAT bar, and if you achieve that bar you are admitted regardless of high school performance.

And THAT was a huge mistake.

Again the statistics are clear. The best correlation to college success is the SAT . Colleges have an incentive to hyperfocus on the exceptions because that helps promote woke equity goals.

As a teacher for 20 years, I will tell you that the SAT highly correlates to academic ability putting hurt feelings aside.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is, 100%.
No, it isn't.

(we could go on like this all day)

Assembling your options, and then EXPLORING those options, and then choosing one is completely different from looking at the options and choosing one without any research or double checking your information, and hoping you've chosen correctly.

Which is what multiple choice testing is about. Picking. Without taking time to research the options.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:09 AM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
You calling Florida Gov Ron DeSantis (R) a leftist?
https://www.themiamihurricane.com/20...ng-in-florida/

Is this the end for standardized testing in Florida?

Governor Ron DeSantis is considering implementing plans to end standardized testing for students across Florida. These plans would specifically remove the Florida Standards Assessment (FSA) tests that have been in place since 1971.

I think you misread it or fell for propaganda talking points on MSNBC.

DeSantis isn't eliminating standardized testing. He is eliminating 1 huge end of the year standardized test in place of more frequent smaller standardized testing.

Also, he is doing it to work around common core.

https://flgov.com/2021/09/14/governo...ss-monitoring/

Old 01-29-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Again the statistics are clear. The best correlation to college success is the SAT . Colleges have an incentive to hyperfocus on the exceptions because that helps promote woke equity goals.

As a teacher for 20 years, I will tell you that the SAT highly correlates to academic ability putting hurt feelings aside.
No it doesn't. A high SAT accompanied by a low history of academic performance is the death nell.

If you've got BOTH high SAT and history of academic success, yes, that's a good indicator that the student will be successful in college.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:12 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Are you serious?

Schools that are excellent are QUICK to have marquis outside that say "A Texas Outstanding School". You'll find it splashed across the top of their webpages. Principals brag on their resumes of the academic success of the students while they were running the school.

Schools take great pride on the Great Schools website when 93% of the students of them are score passing or better on the STAAR test.

What you're judging, is what you're reading on biased media. Teachers here care a GREAT deal if their students can read. How many teachers do you actually know?
Over the years? Hundreds. NOT THAT IT MATTERS!!!!!

These days, I can tell a good teacher by one simple statement they offer up: "If I had kids now, I would homeschool them."

Multiple teachers >40 years old have told me that. THEY don't even believe that what they are doing is worthwhile. I understand from your posts that accepting whatever drivel government gives us is what we should do. Even if it's garbage. Carry on with the blind and relenting obedience and celebration of government. Who cares if kids can't read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies