Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2022, 08:07 AM

1,866 posts, read 934,288 times

Advertisements

Leftists don't want children to read any pre-1980 literature because it's all racist, sexist, bigoted, and patriarchal.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
Leftists don't want children to read any pre-1980 literature because it's all racist, sexist, bigoted, and patriarchal.
Do you realize that librarians are OVERWHELMINGLY liberal?

And librarians, by and large, will put their very bodies between a book and a book banner.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:14 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Do you realize that librarians are OVERWHELMINGLY liberal?

And librarians, by and large, will put their very bodies between a book and a book banner.
LOL!

You've never met the "Decolonize Your Library" crowd.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:18 AM

1,866 posts, read 934,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
LOL!

Those are the same people that are busy trying to remove historical monuments across U.S. cities.

At first they came for the Confederate monuments.
Then Columbus.
Then Teddy Roosevelt.
Now Jefferson, Lincoln and Washington.

Maybe MLK wasn't woke enough, and they'll eventually remove his statues too?

Old 01-29-2022, 08:20 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
I’m tired of all this bashing of college students, book banning and trashing the liberal arts. As a retired school librarian it saddens me that it might just keep getting worse. I once sported a bumper sticker. “We still read”.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=2104520a4c90
Yeah? I was a history major in college. I'll trash the liberal arts all day, every day.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:22 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Fast food pays better than teachers here. Subs make $80 a day. My daughter has her teaching certificate but works home health care because the pay is much better.
"Fast food pays better than teachers here."
And where is "here"?

And provide ALL the benefits of each, including vacation time and holidays off.

"Teacher salaries vary quite a bit based on the state the teacher teaches in"

" For example, a report by the American Federation of Teachers reported average salaries on the national level to be $51,009 US Dollars (USD) in 2006-2007. Teachers in the state of California had an average salary of $63,640 USD, 125% of the national average. At the other end of the spectrum, teachers in South Dakota had an average salary of $35,378 USD, 69% of the national average. Of course, these numbers also reflect the cost of living in their relative states: the three highest-salaried states, California, Connecticut, and New Jersey, are also three of the most expensive to live in, while the three lowest-salaried states, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Utah, are three of the cheapest states to live in.

"But when compared to even some high-paying professions at their starting grades, salaries do not appear too terribly low: a starting lawyer has an average salary of $57,013 USD, and a lawyer who had been working less than five years has an average salary of $64,063 USD. And when compared with other professions, teaching fares even slightly better: the average editor makes $53,143 USD, the average gardener makes $31,000 USD,"

https://www.practicaladultinsights.c...ccupations.htm

Old 01-29-2022, 08:22 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
Those are the same people that are busy trying to remove historical monuments across U.S. cities.

At first they came for the Confederate monuments.
Then Columbus.
Then Teddy Roosevelt.
Now Jefferson, Lincoln and Washington.

Maybe MLK wasn't woke enough, and they'll eventually remove his statues too?
Wokesters killed his dream, though.

According to woke doctrine everyone is to be judged *soley* by the color of their skin, the content of their character is ignored and tossed away.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:27 AM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
The left is killing standardized testing in the name of equity. This covers up failing schools and enables idiocracy and the dumbing down of our society.

The average black senior in high school has the same reading level as the average white 8th grader. Then we are supposedly to blame black underperformance in careers on racists out to get people instead of crappy liberal run schools and less academics at home.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:28 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
LOL!

I think that's "decolonize your bookshelf", not library.

And librarians are VERY torn about that movement, and tend to favor informing the public about selections that have some objectionable content, rather than removing them.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The left is killing standardized testing in the name of equity. This covers up failing schools and enables idiocracy and the dumbing down of our society.
The movement away from standardized testing is many fold.

First, standardized testing within schools forces "teaching to the test", which gives students the skills to look through a few answers and by process of elimination, arrive at what is likely the correct answer. That's a skill NO ONE needs to have. You won't need that skill in life, ever. So it's a huge waste of time, and doesn't encourage critical thinking, and it stresses children out. Waste of time that could be used to create scientific models, read good literature, write creatively, etc.

Colleges are moving from standardized testing for admissions because they're finding scoring well on a standardized test isn't the best indication of success in college. Guess what IS the best indicator of success in college? Of course. Success in high school. Students who score very high on SATs but perform poorly in the high school classroom are the ones who will limp through their first semester and end up flunking out in their second semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies