Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 09:22 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm talking about today. Really, really excellent public school district.
You have multiple children right now in the school system? That's what you are basing all of your opinions on?

Old 01-29-2022, 09:22 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
No, it isn't.

(we could go on like this all day)

Assembling your options, and then EXPLORING those options, and then choosing one is completely different from looking at the options and choosing one without any research or double checking your information, and hoping you've chosen correctly.

Which is what multiple choice testing is about. Picking. Without taking time to research the options.
What makes you think the vast majority of people actually explore those options? The high number of people in excessive credit card and student loan debt totally belie your assertion.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:23 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
These are people that I know. When education comes up, that's what they say.

I can see this idea upsets you tremendously.

Why are you so hellbent on proving my PERSONAL STATEMENTS wrong?

Creepy. Weird.
It doesn't upset me at all. I'm not the one yelling.

I'm enjoying this conversation a lot, actually. Because I'm very interested in public schools, and also the topic of literacy and the test that was used to determine the stat in the OP.

I keep hoping someone will come along and take me up on my invitations to take the demo test, and discuss that too.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:24 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What makes you think the vast majority of people actually explore those options? The high number of people in excessive credit card and student loan debt totally belie your assertion.
At this point, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

As always, having to research an answer, having to KNOW an answer, rather than pick one out of a provided list and hope it's right is preferable.

And that's not even up for debate. The reason multiple choice tests are given is it makes grading easy and cheap.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:25 AM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
But....equity!

If only a few can read at higher levels - that's racist!

Brandon said lower your expectations (and by implication standards, too!)

Gotta bring EVERYONE down for equity!
Check out the study in THIS link:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...uild-back.html

Old 01-29-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You have multiple children right now in the school system? That's what you are basing all of your opinions on?
I'm not going to tell you why I'm in the schools, and no, I don't have children right now in the public school system.

But I'm in there. And also, I'm very interested in and knowledgable about the school board. And keep up with the status of the local school's state rating.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:27 AM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
If this saddens you, and it should, wait until we get the results back on their critical thinking skills!
We already are! Look who's running the country. Big companies are hired unqualified equity hires and they can't even do the jobs. They don't last long in the positions because they move on and get paid more by a different company looking to hire a diversity hire. It's all about the bucks.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:27 AM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
https://slate.com/technology/2014/04...e-success.html

I think a lot of people falsely equate their worth as a human with things like academic performance and therefore test scores can cause hurt feelings that makes them deny the reality of SAT scores being strongly correlated to college success. In many cases the SAT has identified poor minorities for scholarships and admissions.

The statistics are extremely clear. Exceptions are exceptions not the overwhelming trend. Grade inflation is on the rise making grades less and less relevant.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:29 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
At this point, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

As always, having to research an answer, having to KNOW an answer, rather than pick one out of a provided list and hope it's right is preferable.

And that's no even up for debate. The reason multiple choice tests are given is it makes grading easy and cheap.
Give it a rest... People in high amounts of credit card and/or student loan debt did NOT research their options before taking on all that debt.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Give it a rest... People in high amounts of credit card and/or student loan debt did NOT research their options before taking on all that debt.
How in the world did this conversation turn around to people's financial decisions and credit card debt?

BTW, you're proving my point.

Multiple choice questions aren't the way to arrive at a good decision, and aren't the best way to demonstrate knowledge.

So, for that, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies