Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2022, 07:47 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
"Democrats as a whole" ... you disagree?

Are you going on record as stating that the D party platform is not pro-abortion?
Correct. Most Dems are pro-CHOICE.

You are the only one using the term pro-abortion. Good luck finding anybody in real life who is pro-abortion.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:49 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Lots of men don’t pay their child support or abandon the relationship when a pregnancy occurs. That’s one reason women abort.
Perhaps women need to be more selective in choosing their unprotected sex partners. Actions have consequences. Just ask anyone who drives while intoxicated and kills someone else. Abortion kills. No getting around that fact.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:53 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Of that 51%, 95% are the result of voluntary participation in unprotected sex. HOW do people NOT understand that an extremely high percentage of unintended pregnancies are VOLUNTARILY SELF-INFLICTED outcomes? And then they want to kill a human life on top of that because what they CHOSE for themselves isn't convenient? That's beyond depraved.

The other 5% consists of a combination of the failure of correctly used contraception methods and rape (which of course is not voluntary participation).

If we could get the unintended pregnancy due to voluntary unprotected sex rate down to even 50% of unintended pregnancies, that would reduce the total number of unintended pregnancies by 90% (5%+5%=10% of the previous total).
You know that the link to the study you posted (Many unintended pregnancies end in abortion. Specifically, 40% of unintended pregnancies, excluding miscarriages, end in abortion, and 95% of abortions result from unintended pregnancies (Finer & Zolna, 2011) never said 95% of pregnancies are the result of voluntary participation in unprotected sex, right?
From various studies we know that most unplanned pregnancies are due to either not using BC at all, incorrect or inconsistent use of BC or BC failure. And I'm pretty sure all those are considered unintended pregnancies, not just no BC. I'm still not sure why you think this is so important.
The original study that article quoted did say: But given the nation’s increasingly high unintended pregnancy rate and the fact that 11% of the population at risk does not use birth control [26], reducing the unintended pregnancy rate requires that we focus on increasing and improving contraceptive use among women and couples who want to avoid pregnancy.

A later study by Finer & Zolna stated (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4011100/):
We defined an unintended pregnancy as one that was either mistimed or unwanted....
The total number of unintended pregnancies was obtained by summing unintended pregnancies ending in birth, miscarriage, and abortion. This total was then divided by the population of women of reproductive age (15–44 years) to determine an overall unintended pregnancy rate.

Again, no where did Finer & Zolna state 95% of unintended pregnancies were due to not using BC.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Going to have to disagree. Fetal homicide laws contradict that. Homicide is the act of a person killing another person.
Disagree or agree, that is what the law says.
State fetal homicide laws do not contradict that.
Legal personhood is derived from the Constitution and the Fourteenth Amendment, which affords equal protection to “[a]ll persons born or naturalized in the United States.”

Old 04-15-2022, 07:59 AM

23,641 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Correct. Most Dems are pro-CHOICE.

You are the only one using the term pro-abortion. Good luck finding anybody in real life who is pro-abortion.
No they aren't. Please prove that most dems were "pro-choice" about masks and the vaccine.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
IF that is true, then please explain to us why voters in Colorado and Mississippi refused to grant unborn babies full human rights beginning from the moment of conception?
They will never attempt to answer that. The question has been asked many times and no poster claiming a fetus is a baby or a person has even attempted an answer as far as I know.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You know that the link to the study you posted (Many unintended pregnancies end in abortion. Specifically, 40% of unintended pregnancies, excluding miscarriages, end in abortion, and 95% of abortions result from unintended pregnancies (Finer & Zolna, 2011) never said 95% of pregnancies are the result of voluntary participation in unprotected sex, right?
Here you go...

Quote:
Updated figures...

Quote:
"Forty-three percent of unintended pregnancies are due to inconsistent or incorrect contraceptive use, and another 52% are due to non-use (Sonfield, Hasstedt, & Gold, 2014)."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4416399/

Still true that 95% of all unintended pregnancies are due to lack of use of any birth control whatsoever (52%), or the incorrect/inconsistent use of birth control (43%).
i.e... unprotected sex due to either the non-use of birth control or the irresponsibly negligent and therefore incorrect use of such.

Do you need to be reminded that 52 + 43 = 95?

Old 04-15-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I asked as it’s a discussion board. I do have conservatives friends and like liberals they don’t all think alike. Agreed better sex education would go a long way. In reading the sex Ed threads here, our conservatives posters seem to disagree. Lol Why the need for group conservative think? Hard to control free thinkers? Passing judgment that one who has a different path is taking the easy out. Abortion is not an easy out.
I guess I'm more middle of the road conservative. I am all for choice and sex ed, free BC, etc. But most of my conservative (and mostly religious) friends and family are staunchly anti choice and most likely dont favor better sex ed or other free reproductive services.
It appalls me that most republican representatives are so backwards concerning reproductive rights.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Perhaps women need to be more selective in choosing their unprotected sex partners. Actions have consequences. Just ask anyone who drives while intoxicated and kills someone else. Abortion kills. No getting around that fact.
There you go putting it on women. Perhaps men should be more selective in choosing their unprotected sex partners and take responsibility for their own reproduction. Men that get a woman pregnant are just as "guilty" as the woman. It takes two. Dont depend on the other person to be responsible for your reproduction.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Why don't you prove what masks and vaccines have to do with abortion. I'll wait.

Try to stay on topic.
It has to do with "bodily autonomy," which Democrats love to assert as a concept without thinking through the actual consequences. It's clear Democrats as a whole are against bodily autonomy. Mask mandates... vaccine mandates... etc. Then all of the sudden the issue of abortion comes up and it's suddenly "my body, my choice." Hypocrites.

Too bad they don't consider the fact that abortion completely takes away another human life's ability to even make a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies