Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2022, 11:17 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yeah, your degree in basketweaving is surely going to pay off.

You might want to actually learn what jobs actually pay a decent salary and are projected to be in high demand before thinking a random degree and student loans debt is your key to financial independence.
My goodness is your degree in basket weaving? How much student debt are you in for that one?
My degree is in biology and wildlife and fisheries sciences with a minor in business management and accounting (no student loans). I have worked all my adult life taking one year after the birth of my first child, 6 weeks leave after the birth of my second and I was on lay off for a period of 6 weeks at one point. So I'm good with understanding finances and independence. But if you noticed I said training as well. One does not need a degree to make money and be able to support themselves.

Again, its a choice. Most all of my female friends, at least my age or younger, either have a good degree or a job. Some of my female friends have taken time off to have kids and spent some time as a SAHM, others have not and some have not yet reentered the workforce. Even my mother at age 50 went to work and eventually opened her own business so she was no longer financially dependent on my father.

Old 05-10-2022, 11:22 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
No one is going to ban stay at home mothers and stay at home fathers.

Clearly you never heard of alimony.
Why do you keep talking about banning?
Surely your not very familiar of alimony (its called spousal support now). And speaking of such, on the fliip side of this, if a man (or woman) has a spouse who works, or has the ability to work and earn, they will not be in a position of having to provide support for a dependent, disadvantaged ex spouse. I hear so much complaing about paying support, and she took the house and part of my this and my that. LOL.

Old 05-10-2022, 11:32 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Anyways. I really think that the vast, sane majority of people in America, just want to be let to live life on their own terms as they please. We get pizzed off when anybody else seems to be trying to stop us from doing that. Hardly matters if your definition of happily ever after looks like a white picket fence pastel rancher and a couple of kids playing in the yard, or a trans-poly-gay-Leather-disco-deviant-orgy (that's what liberals call, "threatening us with a good time" btw)
I agree that everybody should live the kind of life they want as long as they are not hurting anybody else.

However, there is ample evidence that people on the left frown upon traditional marriage and especially male/female sex roles. In my opinion, it's a rather extraordinary claim to say that virtually all societies since the dawn of civilization got it wrong about sex roles and relationships and only people on the radical left are getting it right today.

Old 05-10-2022, 11:47 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I'm fine with that until the government starts rewarding single women with Perpetual welfare for 15 years to raise the kids they had out of wedlock with dominant males that's where I have a problem.

If we're going to keep rewarding people for bad behavior we might as well have an authoritarian culture like China where neither sex is allowed to mess around in this manner... maybe it would be healthy to start stigmatizing this Behavior again since we know government is going to keep giving handouts away.
Funny anecdote. Yesterday morning I was in line at Quickchek behind a happy young ?19ish? couple holding hands looking at each other with love goggles.

Lets just say they were both aesthetically challenged. They were with their dating peer and looked happy. All hope is not lost. Reminded me of this thread.

Old 05-10-2022, 11:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
It is clear that we all have very different 'realities' specific to this topic.

My three sons and their peers are not at all like the males characterized by the OP.

Maybe it is his world.

My oldest is a game junkie and always has been. It is what it is. He had girlfriends and good friends growing up and into his young adulthood. He met a lovely, smart woman and is married and just celebrated the birth of his first child.

I don't see any of the problems many of you seem to think exist.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:11 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
Part of the problem are the very socially inept celibates who worship every woman on social media, feeding the attention seekers who live for "likes" on their daily selfies. They inflate the egos of these women who have nothing else to offer except a bubble butt and a set a pair of breasts. Now they enter the dating pool with an inflated sense of worth and entitlement due to these loser dudes who put them on a pedestal. But that won't happen, so expect these women to only date the top 10-20% of guys who are just as shallow and superficial as they are. Forget the dating apps and social media. Get out and meet someone in person. Take courses in things that may increase your chances to meeting someone; dance lessons, cooking classes, fitness classes, art courses, or whatever. Meet people with similar interests in a social setting instead of meat market websites where you are judged in just .3 seconds by a profile pic.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:21 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Part of the problem are the very socially inept celibates who worship every woman on social media, feeding the attention seekers who live for "likes" on their daily selfies. They inflate the egos of these women who have nothing else to offer except a bubble butt and a set a pair of breasts. Now they enter the dating pool with an inflated sense of worth and entitlement due to these loser dudes who put them on a pedestal. But that won't happen, so expect these women to only date the top 10-20% of guys who are just as shallow and superficial as they are. Forget the dating apps and social media. Get out and meet someone in person. Take courses in things that may increase your chances to meeting someone; dance lessons, cooking classes, fitness classes, art courses, or whatever. Meet people with similar interests in a social setting instead of meat market websites where you are judged in just .3 seconds by a profile pic.

The valedictorian and class president of the elite college I work for graduated a few years ago with degrees in neuroscience and biology, and a minor in linguistics. She's currently paying her way through med school through her influencer thirst trap account. It's quite literally one of the most intelligent things you can do to monetize your personal brand as second stream of income.

I'd say the same thing about men (or women!) who have an income stream off of Twitch or playing Magic competitively.

But ultimately, yes, engaging in your hobbies and meeting people that way not only helps you be seen as more than an avatar to swipe left or right on, but also helps folks see the gender they are romantically interested in as a three dimensional main character of their own life.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:54 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Also, any male introvert has some difficulties. Because the male almost always has to take the initiative. With computer games and the internet, that exacerbates introverted tendencies. You don't have to actually interact with anyone.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:59 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,964,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I agree that everybody should live the kind of life they want as long as they are not hurting anybody else.

However, there is ample evidence that people on the left frown upon traditional marriage and especially male/female sex roles. In my opinion, it's a rather extraordinary claim to say that virtually all societies since the dawn of civilization got it wrong about sex roles and relationships and only people on the radical left are getting it right today.
So many invalid generalizations and assumptions on CD. I have been a life long liberal. Started my college education at UC Berkeley, dropped out, then finished my degree in political science at UCLA. Voted for Bobby Kennedy and Bernie Sanders. Always treated women as people, as equals, and they did the same with me. Got married at 26, and our first child was born 10 months later. My wife was a stay at home Mom with 3 kids for 15 years, then went back to work because she was bored. I would have preferred her to stay at home, but it was her choice. I had the suburban home with 3 kids and a dog and a white picket fence. I retired at 62 and have 6 grandkids and have been married for 49 years. How much more traditional could I be?

Old 05-10-2022, 01:00 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Many pages back, someone made an interesting point about learning from peers. I think there may be something to that.

Of my group of 3 friends, I got married in my 30s, one got married in his 40s and the 3rd is still single. Two of us had no brothers and one had a distant, rather weird brother. None of my college roommates were real active. I learned more from a female friend than from my male friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies