Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 200 39.76%
No 254 50.50%
Unsure 49 9.74%
Voters: 503. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 05:35 PM

8,972 posts, read 11,853,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
While the Republicans have put a stop to U.S. support of Ukraine, European countries appear to be doubling down. Not only increasing their own support of Ukraine, but increasing their support of their own military. I think that's a wise move. U.S. is an unreliable partner in such matters.
Most republicans support Ukraine. MAGA republicans support Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 05:54 PM

51,704 posts, read 25,999,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Most republicans support Ukraine. MAGA republicans support Russia.
Maybe so, but those "most Republicans" are backing the MAGA Republicans, otherwise they'd figure out how to fund Ukraine.

On Jan. 20, 2025, if Trump is the one with his hand on the Bible, solemnly swearing to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States" Ukraine is in a world of hurt.

And the neighboring nations aren't far behind.

MAGA blocking funding has been a sobering realization for all involved.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Maybe so, but those "most Republicans" are backing the MAGA Republicans, otherwise they'd figure out how to fund Ukraine.

On Jan. 20, 2025, if Trump is the one with his hand on the Bible, solemnly swearing to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States" Ukraine is in a world of hurt.

And the neighboring nations aren't far behind.

MAGA blocking funding has been a sobering realization for all involved.
The one person holding the House hostage is House Speaker Mike Johnson who is beholden to Donald Trump and who has received campaign donations from Russian nationals. He has been refusing to put the matter to a vote. If he allows a vote to happen, there are enough republicans who want to help Ukraine to push the bill through.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:10 PM

5,105 posts, read 2,783,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I never thought I would see the day Russia--Reagan's "Evil Empire"--would invade Ukraine.
I never thought I would see the day Ukraine beat back the Russian invasion.

and

I never EVER thought I would see the day the party of Reagan handed Ukraine back to the soviets on a silver platter.
??? I don't get it. If Ukraine beat back the Russian invasion there is no danger. Therefore, how can the party of Reagan hand Ukraine back? And who are the soviets???

Old 03-19-2024, 06:12 PM

5,255 posts, read 3,840,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
??? I don't get it. If Ukraine beat back the Russian invasion there is no danger. Therefore, how can the party of Reagan hand Ukraine back? And who are the soviets???
Forget it.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Russia continue to stagger under the weight of sanctions.
Russian national debt, last measured in Jun, 23, was 20.1T rubles. 10 years ago the debt was 4.9T and in 2021, just before the war began, it was 16.1T rubles. LINK

In 2022, the GDP of Russia was $2.244T, but even with huge government spending it has decreased to $1.862T. LINK
Most consumer items are no longer manufactured in Russia.
On Feb 12, the interest rate was raised to 16%

Putin has levied draconian “windfall taxes” on basically anything that moves. Many thought last year’s record $1.25T ruble on Gazprom and certain other Russian state owned businesses was a one-time occurrence, but Putin has only doubled down and ordered more windfall taxes in the months since, raising trillions from the Russian businesses that are left. LINK to article from Yale

This is not an economy that is "booming".

Old 03-19-2024, 08:24 PM

408 posts, read 186,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats_overlander View Post
The goal of the US and the masters who run this colony (US is a colony at this point) is to genocide Slavic people and to clear Ukrainian lands for big ag corporations and mass migration from the Southern countries and Israel.

So apparently Putin and Bidon are on the same side?

Old 03-19-2024, 08:26 PM

1,693 posts, read 900,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Looks like the other NATO European are stepping up and picking up the slack a bit at least financially, even though they can only do so much. Their reasoning is to stop Putin in Ukraine before he advances to their countries.

As other posts mention about France/Macron. It's funny/ironic how they are now doing more for this war than Germany/Scholtz. A big change from about 80-85 years ago or even 20 years ago when they didn't want to go war with Iraq.
I can understand Germany taking a stronger stance. Of all European countries their economy has been hurt the most since the conflict and faces the bleakest prospects if it continues for too long. A defeated Russia would be a better deal for them since Russia would have to make greater concessions on oil/gas deals to the Germans. A successful Russia (which they have been thus far on the economic end) has far more bargaining power.

Regarding France. I sense they are mad about Africa, and are trying to get Russia back. I'm not sure why. They knew when they supplied weapons and intel in the conflict that some form of payback was coming. Macron needs to be focused on his own country with their myriad of problems. France is burning down in protest yet he feels the need to save someone else and lecture the world. Can't make this stuff up.

Either way, I doubt the Europeans are really any different then us Americans. Absolutely no troops. Whatever politician makes the call to send troops (excluding the sneaky ways they try to get around the problem) are going to face an election backlash. People are wising up. If Russia is struggling so much in the Ukraine, how can they then invade a NATO country.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:30 PM

1,693 posts, read 900,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The current reality is, Europe is beginning to pick up a lot of the slack in weapons that the us was doing, but its slow-in a way this is bad for Russia because a LOT of these countries are starting to realize that the US is no longer a reliable ally due to MAGA influences. And are about to send their military spending way up.

Ukraine has lost some ground in the last couple months, but the Russians have gained it at what can only be considered unsustainable losses. Just taking Avdiivka? They lost about as many folks there as they did during a decade of fighting in Afghanistan.
The problem with the numbers (and this goes for the Soviet - Afghanistan War) as well, is they are often overinflated. We will honestly never the know the true number it is reasonable to believe numbers coming out of the most Western sources are overblown.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:47 AM

24,898 posts, read 9,651,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Russia continue to stagger under the weight of sanctions.
The Economist begs to differ.

Quote:
Russia’s economy once again defies the doomsayers
Quote:
In the two years following Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, Russia’s economy has repeatedly defied the doomsayers. A financial collapse, widely predicted in the spring of 2022, never came to pass. The economy fell into recession, but it was less severe than expected and passed quickly.
https://www.economist.com/finance-an...utm_id=1861422

Quote:
Russia outsmarts Western sanctions—and China is paying attention
https://www.economist.com/finance-an...utm_id=1861422

So clearly people are not reading multiple sources. Oh wait, let me guess, the Economist is "Putin propaganda."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies