Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:59 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,862,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
the teacher's unions work. the teachers, um, they don't work as much.

700 NYC teachers are paid to do nothing - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090622/ap_on_re_us/us_rubber_rooms - broken link)
The teaching union does little for me! I substitute for the city of New York and pay union dues but the UFT doesn't do anything for us! We don't want them to take our dues out of our pay. Our brave union does not fight for us. We don't receive vacation pay, medical or dental benefits, sick time or pensions yet many of us like my self earned our master's degree in education and are New York state certified teachers. Shame on you UFT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,178,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Was in my car listening to Love Line with Dr. Drew when this guy called saying he had a year left of college before he could become a teacher and he wanted to know How long would it take pot to clear his system to pass the mandatory drug test. He wanted to know this so that he could continue to smoke pot up until that point, pass the drug test, and then start up again. He even asked if they drug test teachers in California. They told him he sounded like he was heavily addicted to pot and needed to get help to quit right away ESPECIALLY if he was going to be responsible for a group of school children.
Some CEO's use drugs, some cops, some architects, some priests, some Amtrack drivers, some doctors, some lawyers, some truck drivers, some grocers, ......

Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,567,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Some CEO's use drugs, some cops, some architects, some priests, some Amtrack drivers, some doctors, some lawters, some truck drivers, some grocers, ......
Doesn't make it right and is even worse when they're responsible for the lives of children

Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
so rules from 100 years ago are an argument for teachers unions? I am pretty sure most of those rules have been changed. now the unions do nothing but harm.
Ya, American workers don't need any protection anymore...they're doing so well...

Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,246,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Some CEO's use drugs, some cops, some architects, some priests, some Amtrack drivers, some doctors, some lawters, some truck drivers, some grocers, ......
And if thats the case they should not be allowed to receive public money for pay or be allowed to influence our children. But the actual point is simple. The union would do all that it can to shield such people from being held accountable. That is whats wrong with how (some) unions operate. Too often they protect the bad guy.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,203,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
IMO, public education is a dismal failure, concentrating more on extracurriculars than formal studies. It's time to allow public monies for private schools (vouchers) since it's quite evident that public education is out of control. One has only to read the article.

When the public education fails, allow competition from the private sector to compete for the public monies.
Lol. What makes you think you think a private school is going to give a better education, just because it's private?

Are you looking for a guaranteed feeder school?

Or is it that you just dont want to pay school taxes?

What do you think is going to happen to the kids who *dont* transfer to private schools, who are left behind in unfunded schools? Or, let me put it in a way you might understand better: what do you think will happen to your PROPERTY VALUES if you allow your local public schools to fail, rather than fighting for them to succeed?

Crimewise, what will become of your town/neighborhood -- and consider your own personal safety, let alone your property values -- if you let your public schools fail?

P.S.: As a cruel fact of nature, private schools accessed by public school kids via voucher are going to cease their roles as feeder schools, sooner rather than later.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,246,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Lol. What makes you think you think a private school is going to give a better education, just because it's private?

Are you looking for a guaranteed feeder school?

Or is it that you just dont want to pay school taxes?

What do you think is going to happen to the kids who *dont* transfer to private schools, who are left behind in unfunded schools? Or, let me put it in a way you might understand better: what do you think will happen to your PROPERTY VALUES if you allow your local public schools to fail, rather than fighting for them to succeed?

Crimewise, what will happen to your town/neighborhood, if you let your public schools fail?

P.S.: As a cruel fact of nature, private schools accessed by public school kids via voucher are going to cease their roles as feeder schools, sooner rather than later.
The fact that private schools will fire a poor performing teacher because they are a business that will fail if its teachers don't deliver .

Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Doesn't make it right and is even worse when they're responsible for the lives of children
If a CEO uses drugs and DRIVES he endangers children, if he does drugs and is a parent he endangers children. If a doctor uses drugs and treats/operates on children he endangers them...and on and on....

And unions do NOT protect drug users....not any more than the CEO who protects his coke-snortin' buddies on the board. Or the cops who have that "wall" thing going....or the doctors who close ranks to protect their own. Unions have nothing to gain by protecting drug users.....

Old 06-23-2009, 09:13 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,343,008 times
Quote:
I'd be for that as well. When my wife has taken her pain pills she will not drive anywhere for any reason. Her spinal pain is so great that dimerol (sp?) and tylox barely help the pain at all. She's gone back to Lortab because she has less side effects compared to the other two. Little 5 foot tall lady taking Lortab 7.5
Sorry your wife is in such pain.

Is it lumbar pain? Did she have vertebrae fused? (Not a good idea)

You don't need to answer, I am just curious because I was able to help a couple of scientists who had severe lumbar pain.

Back in the 60's I pretty much had the Physician's Desk Reference memorized.

I'm not that up to date on prescription drugs now - but my sister is a professional child-drugger for the public school system!

If the school has you on Ritalin, and you add pot, what's the result?

Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The fact that private schools will fire a poor performing teacher because they are a business that will fail if its teachers don't deliver .
Oh for pete's sake , schools, businesses , corporations have always had their "protectees"....just because it's a private school doesn't mean they have such lofty standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies