Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 05:59 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's an outline of the intended goal. It does not go into detail of HOW, with a few exceptions (tax breaks, opt-outs, etc) I'm not sure what was "introduced to congress" since there is nothing there to vote on.

Intended goal? No thanks! We've already seen how well that strategy worked as a war plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
You can still opt NOT to have insurance and as a result you pay a 2% fine under the Obama plan. Not so bad if you ask me, considering that 2% is far less than what insurance actually costs. AND considering that IF and WHEN the person becomes ill while uninsured then at least they would have paid into SOMETHING for what they will eventually get.
Are you totally sure of your statement above TM? Because, it is real easy to show how mistaken you are.

Say I got a 30 something. No employer healthcare. He can get (and I have previously PROVED THIS TO YOU), a "bare bones" policy for $150 (or less) per month.

Now, say that same 30 something does not want health insurance - and he is making say - 100K a year (lots are actually doing this TM) - suddenly, he is now getting fined 2% of his gross income - which is now more than the insurance premium.

Now - say the Feds assess a fine TM - how are they going to enforce the fine? No one knows - there is room in the Obamacare bill where the fine might result in a criminal charge - something I'm sure you are aware of.

Let people make up their own minds if they want insurance or not. Most will decide they want insurance TM - have faith in the American people (something you do not now have).

Old 08-03-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I talk about the Obama plan because I read it, understand it etc.
As have I, and many others have read it.

Now, again, read this legislation so that you might be able to talk as intelligently about this one as you do the other.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:19 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Are you totally sure of your statement above TM? Because, it is real easy to show how mistaken you are.

Say I got a 30 something. No employer healthcare. He can get (and I have previously PROVED THIS TO YOU), a "bare bones" policy for $150 (or less) per month.

Now, say that same 30 something does not want health insurance - and he is making say - 100K a year (lots are actually doing this TM) - suddenly, he is now getting fined 2% of his gross income - which is now more than the insurance premium.

Now - say the Feds assess a fine TM - how are they going to enforce the fine? No one knows - there is room in the Obamacare bill where the fine might result in a criminal charge - something I'm sure you are aware of.

Let people make up their own minds if they want insurance or not. Most will decide they want insurance TM - have faith in the American people (something you do not now have).

Then he has a choice. get the insurance or pay the fine...

If insurance is less than the fine.. then the wise thing to do would be to COMPLY with the law.

AND..not having car insurance AND not paying the fine (which in NY state was like $50 for every day you weren't insured!!) is indeed criminal.. just like not paying your taxes are etc.

He may not WANT to buy insurance.. but then he will not WANT to pay the bill when he gets hurt or sick because he didn't WANT insurance.. and then the rest of us are left holding his BAG he didn't WANT!!! GD..

I'm ALL FOR a mandate on insurance.. 100%

Old 08-03-2009, 06:25 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
MY rhetoric.

Pot MEET KETTLE

PLEASE.. and there is enough of YOUR rhetoric all over these boards.

I talk about the Obama plan because I read it, understand it etc.

Unlike the rest of you who just listen to "opinions" by people with agendas rather than reading it for yourself and forming your own opinion.

I'm tired of hearing about the lies spread and the mistruths about the current Obama plan.. it's absolutely RIDICULOUS.. ABSURD and downright disgusting!

But go on you continue with YOUR Rhetoric!!!
I read this sigline somewhere....

Its all about BALANCE NOT extremes People

Old 08-03-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I'm ALL FOR a mandate on insurance.. 100%
First off - we are not talking about car insurance (btw - you don't necessarily need car insurance TM - most states let you put up a CD for the financial minimums required). So, lets try to stay on topic -

I understand you are all for Mandated insurance. And, that is fine.

However, polls (recent) are showing that support among'st the American people for Obamacare is slipping - and slipping quite a bit actually. One of the reasons is - the mandate.

While most American agree that it is the ideal to have insurance - and most do btw - they are objecting to the GOVERNMENT telling them they have to do something or they will be penalized by that government.

They are objecting to the removal TM of a FREEDOM - and, I understand you cannot fathom people feeling this way but, it still is the case.

We can argue and argue about if a person should, or should not have insurance - heck, I believe they should. I can't understand those who can afford it not having insurance.

BUT, where you and I part ways is, I support the RIGHT and the FREEDOM of the American people to make their OWN decisions as to what is right for them - and not have the government tell them what is right for them. You think exactly the opposite.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Thank you.

For the record, while its not inexpensive, I don't consider $1,000 a month that bad either.

However, I have no idea how much others I paying - I don't generally get that nosey
If you don't know what health insurance is costing other people, how would you know whether we need a healthcare reform?
What do you base your opinions about the fairness of insurance companies on?
How would you compare the cost of private insurance vs. government plan?
Are you basing your opinion solely on what works for just you?

Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If you don't know what health insurance is costing other people, how would you know whether we need a healthcare reform?
What do you base your opinions about the fairness of insurance companies on?
How would you compare the cost of private insurance vs. government plan?
Are you basing your opinion solely on what works for just you?
Aren't YOU basing your opinion on personal/anecdotal experiences???

Old 08-03-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
It won't be any cheaper under Obamacare TM. You are only fooling yourself if you think it will be. Also, keep in mind that my policy has far more bells and whistles, of which you have previously criticized me for, that many would want.

So, your premium would, more than likely, be much less
You have no clue what insurance is costing people these days, do you?

Old 08-03-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Hey, if this post was talking about me, I just now came back to this website and am looking at this thread. This plan was complete and the Dems knew about it in June, and the Rs just were shy about putting it out in public? Link, please?

I dont see anything about this new R plan in the news online btw.
Exactly!

Where is loud-mouth Limbaugh about it? Is he still griping about Obama's birth certificate? Didn't any of the talking heads on Fox News think it was important enough to bring up? Was it upstaged on these shows by the death of Michael Jackson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies