Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 03:15 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
IMO, if you are truly an American, and you truly believe in FAIRNESS, you will contact your Congressional Representative(s) and DEMAND that this legislation at least be afforded fair hearings - The Democrats are trying desperately NOT to allow this by rushing through the Pelosi / Reid bills.

LET all sides be heard -
Where is Fox News? Are they too busy looking for Obama's Kenyan birth certificate or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 03:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This bill protects insurance companies which is what they want.
This legislation eliminated preexisting conditions. That is not "protecting the insurance companies".

Unlike the Dem plan - this bill allows YOU to decide 1) If you want insurance and 2) if you do, from whom. No mandates. No fines. Total and complete freedom of choice

This bill caps premiums from insurance companies - again, not "protecting the insurance company" as you suggest.

This bill allows insurance companies to market their plans across state lines, creating larger insurance pools, bringing down premiums

This bill, unlike the Democratic plan, allows taxpayers TO DEDUCT THE PREMIUMS and other health care costs - in pretax dollars - thereby making insurance MORE AFFORDABLE

I could go on and on - but I will not - for, you are of a mindset that the only entity / group who can decide what is best for you is the Government.

I'm sorry but, I think I make better choices for my life than the Government can.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
So - now you start the personal attacks once again - clearly because you have no legitimate argument against the proposed legislation.

This legislation eliminated preexisting conditions. That is not "protecting the insurance companies".

Unlike the Dem plan - this bill allows YOU to decide 1) If you want insurance and 2) if you do, from whom. No mandates. No fines. Total and complete freedom of choice

This bill caps premiums from insurance companies - again, not "protecting the insurance company" as you suggest.

This bill allows insurance companies to market their plans across state lines, creating larger insurance pools, bringing down premiums

This bill, unlike the Democratic plan, allows taxpayers TO DEDUCT THE PREMIUMS and other health care costs - in pretax dollars - thereby making insurance MORE AFFORDABLE

I could go on and on - but I will not - for, you are of a mindset that the only entity / group who can decide what is best for you is the Government.

I'm sorry but, I think I make better choices for my life than the Government can.
Quote:
the insurance industry has a long record of dishonesty and of ignoring laws and regulations in its remorseless pursuit of profits. Simply enacting a few new regulations—and shifting responsibility for enforcing them from the states to federal agencies that lack the funding to do the job well—is not a way to transform a notoriously untrustworthy industry into an honest one.
Quote:
In the existing environment, the insurers mainly compete to avoid covering the sickest 10 percent of the population that accounts for 70 percent of health care spending.
Quote:
Insurance company executives know they can ration care with impunity because independent analysts cannot review their secret practices. And state insurance regulators have inadequate staffs and budgets, so violations often go unnoticed by them. The challenge for regulators is compounded by state laws that do not require insurers to disclose enough information about business practices so the public and the regulators can gain a clear picture of how insurers really operate. Consequently, insurer practices that systematically deny people needed care are rarely exposed except in anecdotal media accounts. Even when illegal activity is caught, the fines that insurers pay to settle allegations represent a tiny fraction of their annual revenues and earnings.
http://hcfan.3cdn.net/48b73f19dac6bc9fa7_vzm6iijoh.pdf

The only way to keep insurance companies in line is to make them compete.

Quote:
A public insurance plan will hold down underlying health costs across the nation and keep private plans honest by competing with them.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:21 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Probably most. My brother-in-law had his non-group insurance premium go up to over $800/month because he got high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes. He was only 60 years old. This was in the mid 1990s. Imagine what it would cost today!
Actually from what I have read,something like 16 million make over $50,000 a year....

Old 08-03-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Actually from what I have read,something like 16 million make over $50,000 a year....
Well lets see what you have read!

Old 08-03-2009, 03:23 PM

jojajn - I have a very serious question that I hope you will answer honestly:

Do you believe that the Government can make better choices than you can in regards to issues that affect your day to day life? In other words, do you believe the Government knows more than you?

Old 08-03-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
The links to this info have been posted MANY, MANY times - and you have merely chosen to ignore the proof.

Its called the Ostrich syndrome jojajn

Old 08-03-2009, 03:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
And, it has been introduced into the Congress - of course the leftist media has not told you very much about it.

See for yourself:

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/GO...in;contentBody

http://www.house.gov/ryan/PCA/PCAsummary15p.pdf

It's a lot of nothing that leaves the Insurance Companies and Lawyers making the bulk of the money. It's single payer or nothing

Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Quote:
However, the Census Bureau report “Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2005,” puts the initial number of uninsured people living in the country at 46.577 million.

A closer look at that report reveals the Census data include 9.487 million people who are “not a citizen.” Subtracting the 10 million non-Americans, the number of uninsured Americans falls to roughly 37 million.
Quote:
according to the same Census report, there are 8.3 million uninsured people who make between $50,000 and $74,999 per year and 8.74 million who make more than $75,000 a year. That’s roughly 17 million people who ought to be able to “afford” health insurance because they make substantially more than the median household income of $46,32
Health Care Lie: '47 Million Uninsured Americans'

Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Figure 2.
The Distribution of the Uninsured and Total U.S. Population by Income
(As measured by the Federal Poverty Level) in 2004

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies