Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The only people I ever knew who flew that flag were racists and morons.
Where do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,047 posts, read 2,826,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I agree. I hope to defend the U.S. flag some day & would yank it out of the hands of a KKK hood who shouldn't even be allowed to touch the American flag anyway. Let them stick with the Confederate flag because it isn't American anyway.

Please provide the name of a slave ship that flew the official Confederate flag..or the Beauregard Flag. There are hundreds that were American flagged.

More Africans died during the "middle passage" than on plantations in the South.

If the weather was not so cold in the North there would still be slavery. They tried to make it work up there..but could not. They could not turn a profit so they abandoned it. They sold the Africans to the plantations in Virginia and North Carolina.

The North realized they could make great wealth if they went into the slave trade..they built ports, rum factories and slave ships. Insurance companies and banks supported the trade. New York was built on the trade.

Leave the South alone..the war is over. We will keep our flags..I can cite numerous Africans who wished they were never left the plantations. They said the only time they worked hard was when the yankee soldiers put a hoe in their hand. Read the Slave narratives.

The reason the KKK started was to prevent looting of homes and businesses by the Yankee soldiers. That was a long time ago. We do not support the KKK. We do not support slavery.
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage.../~ammem_c30G::

Last edited by DraggingCanoe; 01-19-2010 at 12:03 AM..

744 posts, read 1,210,028 times
If the conferderate flag flying over a memorial bothers you that bad, move to the north and shut up. We have had to many people trying to push their own beliefs without caring for others. People should be happy to see that flag flying because it would give them an opportunity to teach their kids about the past and where wrongs were righted but not try to erase history to where events may have a chance to occur again.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Where do you live?
I live in Florida, and grew up down here watching Rednecks drive around with that flag. They were all idiots and bigots who said ****** all the time.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:48 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
If the conferderate flag flying over a memorial bothers you that bad, move to the north and shut up. .
I don't have to shut anything up pal. This is America, and if I want to profess my dislike of that ugly flag, then I'll do just that. If you don't like freedom of speech, then maybe you get out.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:52 PM

981 posts, read 806,320 times
Quote:
My answer to that is : Horse-shyt.
My thoughts, exactly.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:01 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
I don't have to shut anything up pal. This is America, and if I want to profess my dislike of that ugly flag, then I'll do just that. If you don't like freedom of speech, then maybe you get out.
And yet you don't support someone else's right to fly the flag, typical liberal hypocrite.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:08 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Please provide the name of a slave ship that flew the official Confederate flag..or the Beauregard Flag. There are hundreds that were American flagged.

More Africans died during the "middle passage" than on plantations in the South.

If the weather was not so cold in the North there would still be slavery. They tried to make it work up there..but could not. They could not turn a profit so they abandoned it. They sold the Africans to the plantations in Virginia and North Carolina.

The North realized they could make great wealth if they went into the slave trade..they built ports, rum factories and slave ships. Insurance companies and banks supported the trade. New York was built on the trade.

Leave the South alone..the war is over. We will keep our flags..I can cite numerous Africans who wished they were never left the plantations. They said the only time they worked hard was when the yankee soldiers put a hoe in their hand. Read the Slave narratives.

The reason the KKK started was to prevent looting of homes and businesses by the Yankee soldiers. That was a long time ago. We do not support the KKK. We do not support slavery.
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=mesn&fileName=090/mesn090.db&recNum=42&itemLink=D?mesnbib:3:./temp/~ammem_c30G::
Nonsense & no American agrees with you except sub-Americans who's loyalty to the U.S. is questionable at best.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:23 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,620 times
My direct fraternal ancestor fought with the 3rd Tennessee Cavalry Regiment. He mustered 6 June 1861 and the unit surrendered 9 may 1865.

He never fought over slavery..he never owned a slave.. he worked on his father's farm near Knoxville.

He was 18 years old in 1861 and I am proud of him. Some of you don't get it and will never understand. The enlisted soldiers did not fight over slavery. The Yankees were coming to the pillage the South. That is why they fought.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
My direct fraternal ancestor fought with the 3rd Tennessee Cavalry Regiment. He mustered 6 June 1861 and the unit surrendered 9 may 1865.

He never fought over slavery..he never owned a slave.. he worked on his father's farm near Knoxville.

He was 18 years old in 1861 and I am proud of him. Some of you don't get it and will never understand. The enlisted soldiers did not fight over slavery. The Yankees were coming to the pillage the South. That is why they fought.
Disagree entirely. Confederates killed Americans just like Nazi & Japanese killed Americans. Now some Arabs kill Americans. The Confederates are not American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies