Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 07:47 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,815,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Definitely a problem with responsibility on many levels, but we still don't know all the facts.

g) He wasn't psychotic before the killings. The Risperdal was prescribed for some other reason (bipolar disorder, etc). He was definitely in a pre-psychotic state when he began the massacre. At least that's the belief of psychiatrists who profile mass murderers.

Someone else on this thread said it: he was not psychotic, he was a psychopath. The former has lost touch with reality, the latter is not out of touch with reality at all and is capable of planning ahead. (Probably why Jared Loughner of the Tucson massacre is deemed legally insane...he apparently falls into the former category.)

h) He was taking xanax according to his friend ( on and off for six months) which is hardly consistant.. so that is a problem. He friend said that he 'shook'

“He was quite shaky when you met him. He was a tragic figure. And now when I talk about him, knowing what he did, he is in many ways a monster.”

I thought he was the loneliest person I’ve ever seen in my entire life,” Astaire said. “He was an odd child, didn’t quite fit into his skin.

Simon Astaire has known Rodger since he was a boy and has remained in contact with parents Chin and Peter Rodger following Friday’s attacks, which left six others dead and 13 injured.

Rodger visited numerous therapists during his childhood. His parents were hopeful that therapy and medication could resolve their son’s inability to make friends and his resulting rage.
“I understand he was on Xanax for about six months,” Astaire said, with Rodger refusing to take medication on previous occasions.

Parents of Santa Barbara Killer So Distraught 'Their Speech Is Stuttered' - ABC News

( I will have to continue because this site is slow)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 07:53 PM

J)
UCSB mass shooter Elliot Rodger hadn’t been seen by a psychiatrist since 2012 (though he had been treated by psychologists) but RadarOnline.com has learned exclusively his parents, Hungar Ganes art director Peter Rodger and ex-wife Chin now recognize their troubled son should have been in intensive treatment for his mental health issues.
Elliots 141 page manifesto mentions in 2012 that he had been treated by psychiatrist Dr. Charles Sophy and refused to take medication that was prescribed to him.

Virgin Murderer Elliott Rodger Hadn’t Seen Psychiatrist In 2 Years | Radar Online

k)
Quote:
Someone else on this thread said it: he was not psychotic, he was a psychopath. The former has lost touch with reality, the latter is not out of touch with reality at all and is capable of planning ahead. (Probably why Jared Loughner of the Tucson massacre is deemed legally insane...he apparently falls into the former category.)
“Before moving from L.A. to Santa Barbara, he had been seeing a mental health professional for years, and his parents got a team of doctors for him to continue to see after his move. Their hearts break for the victims and their families.”
There was a reluctance to let Rodger move to Santa Barbara, but he was insistent, the source says.

He thought that moving to Santa Barbara would make him happy, and his parents obliged. At first Elliot did really well academically in school at Santa Barbara City College (a community college about 30 minutes from the University of California Santa Barbara campus), but he had a hard time fitting in with the party scene. With that, Elliot became more isolated, and his grades began to suffer.”

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...-hunger-games/

Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,899,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
Audrey Hepburn wouldn't fit all of this criteria. She often was very thin, her signature look was cropped, short hair, and I don't think she could be accused of having an abundance of curves.
Hence the danger of women using her as a beauty role model She had an above-average face and surely would have had men interested in her regardless of fame. Sometimes women do well with men despite not being attractive according to my (reasonable, I hope) formula.

Also, I don't think I am moving "goal posts," just clarifying that deep down most men want what most women want, sex and intimacy in a satisfying long-term relationship. Even Elliot Rodger probably wanted that.

FYI, some lonely men in those online groups are arguably good-looking and not crazy. Gripes about women do not make a man garbage.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,218,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
He thought that moving to Santa Barbara would make him happy, and his parents obliged. At first Elliot did really well academically in school at Santa Barbara City College (a community college about 30 minutes from the University of California Santa Barbara campus), but he had a hard time fitting in with the party scene. With that, Elliot became more isolated, and his grades began to suffer.â€

Virgin Murderer Elliott Rodger Hadn’t Seen Psychiatrist In 2 Years | Radar Online

I watched one of those vids, which brought me to the #yesallwomen news report and one tweet hit me. “I've spent 19 yrs (sic) teaching my daughter how not to be raped. How long have spent teaching your son not to rape? #yesallwomen.â€

That's very powerful and really speaks to our culture, which remains male need centric in the sexual arena.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Hence the danger of women using her as a beauty role model She had an above-average face and surely would have had men interested in her regardless of fame. Sometimes women do well with men despite not being attractive according to my (reasonable, I hope) formula.
What does that mean?

Quote:
Also, I don't think I am moving "goal posts," just clarifying that deep down most men want what most women want, sex and intimacy in a satisfying long-term relationship. Even Elliot Rodger probably wanted that.

FYI, some lonely men in those online groups are arguably good-looking and not crazy. Gripes about women do not make a man garbage.
I would rather my daughter be a lesbian than come within a hundred miles of PUA or the kinds of men who use the language you do. Sorry, but that's my honest position.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I watched one of those vids, which brought me to the #yesallwomen news report and one tweet hit me. “I've spent 19 yrs (sic) teaching my daughter how not to be raped. How long have spent teaching your son not to rape? #yesallwomen.”

That's very powerful and really speaks to our culture, which remains male need centric in the sexual arena.
Indeed. I bet going to a community college hurt his ego as well.

I wanted to point out that a psychiatrist actually saw his manifesto first and then phoned his parents before the shooting ( 9 or 13 minutes before it happened) so that would mean that he was seeing someone who was a psychiatrist.

( I will find the link in a minute, I think it's on ABC and I will post it-- I just lost and will edit)

So, if he was a psychopath, and he was prescribed Xanax ( if that wasn't a lie to his friend) and was taking it on and off ( which is really wrong) and then he shook. So, I find that odd..

Overtly, while all this is going on.. his dad gets on TV and says he has no idea.. That could be true because he isolated even more when attending college. That was probably when he got involved in PUA. ( I don't know the dates and I hadn't read this information until now) but I did say in a post awhile back, I was surprised he was in college because I didn't see his grades being very good.

His personality was non-existent ( I think) the only time he talked was in the videos. So, he went from ( for example) to being a recovering alcoholic ( no expression, no emotion) to vigor from these forums, and then making videos of himself with a secret to talk about. And then he exploded. I really kind of see him as very lifeless before the videos, and here is picture. (I will edit that in a minute too) It's like the videos woke him but that could be from pure isolation as well. ( Also.. Nothing wrong with a community college but I am surprised he didn't complain about it) I will look for that link from ABC and picture and edit.

Elliot Rodger fired more than 50 gunshots, reloading several times in his deadly Isla Vista rampage that killed six students and injured more than a dozen, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown told supervisors this week.The shots were fired in less than eight minutes, claiming three lives after Rodger fatally stabbed his two roommates and their friend at his apartment.

“We believe during his brief rampage, Elliot Rodger fired more than 50 rounds of ammunition, changing magazines more than five times during the shooting spree," Brown told Santa Barbara County supervisors Tuesday.
Rodger, 22, died at his own hand, slumped behind the wheel of his smashed BMW with three semiautomatic handguns and 410 rounds of ammunition at his side, Brown said.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...604-story.html

Rodger stopped seeing Sophy last year after the doctor prescribed human anti-psychotic medication. “I refused to take it,” he wrote, “and I never saw Dr. Sophey again after that.”
But the psychiatrist was not the only Hollywood figure to whom the killer’s father, an assistant director on The Hunger Games, turned for help. He also approached his friend Dale Launer, a writer and director of several films about relationships, to try to teach his son some tips with women, according to the manifesto. Launer

may have enjoyed on-screen success with such sensitive plots as Blind Date and Love Potion No 9, but there was no breakthrough with Elliot Rodger. “He wanted to help me overcome my troubles because he is a so-called expert with women,” Rodger noted. “In truth, there is nothing men like Dale can really do to help me attract girls and lose my virginity. They can’t mind-control girls to be attracted to me.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/05...-flipping-out/

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-27-2014 at 08:33 PM..

Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,899,234 times
I suspect most men under 35 or 40 would use the language I do if they were being honest (and smart enough to know those terms, heh). That's a reflection on today's dating scene.

By "danger," I mean that women often copy unappealing trends from hyped big names and also build each other up. Not speaking to anyone in particular, but hun, short hair (or that dress) doesn't work on you because physically the rest of you isn't good enough. I guess there was less risk of that prior to the rise of big media, extreme style diversity, and adult singledom and when skinniness was associated with death and tight clothes with trashiness (women weren't showing off being skinny).

Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I suspect most men under 35 or 40 would use the language I do if they were being honest (and smart enough to know those terms, heh). That's a reflection on today's dating scene.
In your circles, perhaps. You are assuming most men are as miserable, but that is not what I see. I see a minority who are miserable. My male friends, a majority who are 40 and under, are not miserable. They are pretty well off and most are married with young families. Before that life was a big party to be honest.

Quote:
By "danger," I mean that women often copy unappealing trends from hyped big names and also build each other up. Not speaking to anyone in particular, but hun, short hair (or that dress) doesn't work on you because physically the rest of you isn't good enough. I guess there was less risk of that prior to the rise of big media, extreme style diversity, and adult singledom and when skinniness was associated with death and tight clothes with trashiness (women weren't showing off being skinny).
The rest isn't good enough for who? The state of being good enough is relative, so you have to define good enough for who first. Style and looks today are pretty eclectic and what is attractive to one group or culture or subculture is going to vary.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 PM

L) I also said he was sadistic.. and referred him to as the joker ( picture of joker standing over batman wanting to consume him) that was deleted ( probably because it was rather large and of Heath Ledger)

A black BMW came out of nowhere, the car window down. The man inside – Elliot Rodger– had a “smirky, grimacy smile” across his face, deKock said.

Santa Barbara Killer Elliot Rodger Smiled Before Shooting, Survivor Says - ABC News

I would have to say he was on the psychotic side ( or psychopathic as someone else stated) side but refused to take his meds.

But this all psychotherapy for psychotherapists

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-27-2014 at 09:30 PM..

Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,743,448 times
Quote:
Gripes about women do not make a man garbage.
I don't believe it. Also, I believe there is such a thing as evil, and the men in those groups are, in my view, evil.

There's a BIG difference between someone saying, "My wife is driving me crazy" or "my husband is driving me crazy," and "women are @#$## and they're the reason I'm miserable and lonely."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology