Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2019, 09:08 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,930,657 times

Advertisements

I cannot decide if I should go back to the antique shop today and buy that piece I really like. I am trying to downsize, but I really like it so perhaps I will justify the purchase. I'm good at that. Haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 10:07 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
My lawn guy had a minor heart attack and while he was recuperating someone stole his trailer with all his equipment. Now I have to go mow my own yard today. Thankfully I didn't give my mower away when lawn guy starting doing my yard. However it is battery operated so it takes two days to do the yard because the battery only lasts 33 minutes. Oh and did I mention right now it is 88 degrees with 63% humidity for a feel like temperature of 98. :-( And as much as I would like to cut the grass in the early morning this stupid lawnmower instructions say to only cut your grass when it's dry.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My lawn guy had a minor heart attack and while he was recuperating someone stole his trailer with all his equipment. Now I have to go mow my own yard today. Thankfully I didn't give my mower away when lawn guy starting doing my yard. However it is battery operated so it takes two days to do the yard because the battery only lasts 33 minutes. Oh and did I mention right now it is 88 degrees with 63% humidity for a feel like temperature of 98. :-( And as much as I would like to cut the grass in the early morning this stupid lawnmower instructions say to only cut your grass when it's dry.
DANG it! All of this is pretty terrible. I don't know which part is worse, but I guess it's the guy having a heart attack, though the weather and the lawn mower drama sounds pretty bad too...

Old 10-28-2019, 04:14 PM

OK so I have mild drama myself.

I am nearly certain - since I am a sleuth - that it's my next door neighbors who are tattling to the HOA about stuff in my back yard. Which I find ironic on several levels. 1) They have a huge play house that overlooks my back yard, and their boys climb up in it and look into our yard and even talk to us sometimes from the play house - which I don't actually mind but I COULD mind it if you know what I mean. 2) Their dog regularly gets out of the fence somehow and runs around and actually heard me in our garage the other day unloading groceries and came running over and RAN INTO MY HOUSE AND PEED ON MY CARPET. This is clearly against many HOA and even city ordinances. Not to mention I don't want any dogs peeing on my carpet. 3) Which leads me to my most current pseudo drama:

We have security cameras that alert me when there is someone in our driveway, or at the front door, etc. Just this morning, as I relayed, I dragged a ladder out and adjusted the security camera on the driveway so that I didn't get a dang alert every single time someone drove up or down the street or walked their dog in the street or whatever. So after school yesterday AND today I got another notification that someone was in my driveway. I looked and it's...drum roll...the boys next door (owners of dog) and their friends. Apparently our driveway has more of a slope than theirs so they are playing on skate boards - in my driveway. In fact, earlier today I found a skateboard laying in my yard - clearly left there by boys yesterday. So here's my dilemma - look, I don't mind kids. But I feel like if there are four or five of them playing on skateboards in my driveway, one of them may hurt themselves - and then I'd be on the hook for an injury on my property most likely.

It sounds like I live in the hood. I actually don't. I live in a very nice neighborhood with very large lots and the homes are pretty far apart. Why are these boys playing in MY YARD? Now I sound like an old fart - "Get off my lawn!" But honestly...I am thinking this may be a problem. But I also don't want problems with my neighbors - which I sort of feel like I already have.

Grrrrr!

Old 10-28-2019, 05:51 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
^ I was thinking the same thing. If they'd snitch on your backyard, they'd sue you if their kid broke his arm and not even ask you to sign the cast.

My FWP is having to track down products sold in stores because the interwebs is putting some brick and mortar stores out of biz.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^ I was thinking the same thing. If they'd snitch on your backyard, they'd sue you if their kid broke his arm and not even ask you to sign the cast.

My FWP is having to track down products sold in stores because the interwebs is putting some brick and mortar stores out of biz.
I feel your pain about the brick and mortar stores. Though I do wonder how they manage to stay in business. For instance, why would I go around from store to store looking for a particular type of, say, lamp - when I can google it and find 400 which are exactly what I want?

It's a conundrum. Because sometimes I just want to touch and feel something before I buy it. And of course I would buy it at a brick and mortar store if I saw it there. I'm fair that way. But dang it.

There is no doubt in my mind that if one of these little darlings broke their arm in my driveway, their parents would be trying to sue me. So here is my plan:

I am going to go out there tomorrow when the kids are out there (because I am sure they will be), and tell them, "I don't want to sound like a mean neighbor, but please don't play in my yard." I am not going to say anything to them about them possibly getting hurt or anything like that. My husband also thinks I need to just confiscate any balls or skateboards or whatever that they leave in the yard and I am inclined to do so. I think it is enough to start though by just saying "Please don't play in my yard."

They will nearly certainly disregard this and continue to play in my yard. So the next day I will go over to their house and say to the parents, "I hate to bring this up, and I've already asked your boys to please stop playing in my yard, to no avail, so now I'm asking you - please don't allow your kids to play in our yard. I love kids but I don't feel comfortable with them playing in our yard. Thanks so much."

From what I can tell, if I do that, I'm covered legally since after that they will be trespassing and KNOWING they don't have my approval or permission to do so.

Sheeze. Drama! "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

Old 10-29-2019, 02:29 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Ok, we're back in the running.

Full price, cash offer.

I think that means we have to be out quicker... you know cause it is so easy to coordinate a 3000 mile cross pacific move with 2 90lb dogs. Plus, where were we going? My sister's house, who is still under mandatory fire evacuation.

Of course this gives me a lifetime of cred during arguments with my husband about why I think our list of things need to be done "now." Pfffft to "we have plenty of time, mellow out."

MY list of stuff is done, HIS is NOT.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-29-2019, 01:04 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I feel your pain about the brick and mortar stores. Though I do wonder how they manage to stay in business. For instance, why would I go around from store to store looking for a particular type of, say, lamp - when I can google it and find 400 which are exactly what I want?

It's a conundrum. Because sometimes I just want to touch and feel something before I buy it. And of course I would buy it at a brick and mortar store if I saw it there. I'm fair that way. But dang it.
Brick and mortar is more convenient when you don't want to wait for shipping. Not to mention the fun of browsing. Will future generations furrow their brows in wonder that we went to a place called a store and walked around and looked at things for sale? I hope we always have both online and stores. Options are better than only one way to get things, right?

About the kids. Can't they just deny you told them? Do you bring along a device to record yourself telling them or parents this? Openly recording looks odd. Surreptitious recording could seem creepy. Otherwise the traditional way to prove a communication would be a cease and desist letter via an attorney which marks you out as the bad neighbor in their minds and really steps up any tension. I hate that this kind of thing can seem necessary at times, but here we are.

I agree with keeping toys and skateboards. Speaking of, then you can sell them online.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:06 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, we're back in the running.

Full price, cash offer.

I think that means we have to be out quicker... you know cause it is so easy to coordinate a 3000 mile cross pacific move with 2 90lb dogs. Plus, where were we going? My sister's house, who is still under mandatory fire evacuation.

Of course this gives me a lifetime of cred during arguments with my husband about why I think our list of things need to be done "now." Pfffft to "we have plenty of time, mellow out."

MY list of stuff is done, HIS is NOT.
One of life's greatest satisfactions. Being right.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:50 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
One of life's greatest satisfactions. Being right.

We have the full 45 days, so my blood pressure is down a bit.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology