Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 06:52 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Because I'm not trespassing on vegetable farms and screaming bloody murder about the mistreatment of living plants and demanding laws to curb the consumption of cucumbers and seeking political solutions to place obstacles on farming and fishing and whaling. And I'm not organizing thugs to board tractors and stop the harvesting of vegetables.

So I don't have to stop anything, because I am not seeking to abrogate the rights of others. They are. So it is they who must stop and shut up. I am willing to allow them to eat whatever they want. They must do the same. It's called freedom.
Those are activists, not representative of the vast majority of vegans. It's like saying anyone who is a Christian spends their time marching outside abortion clinics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 09:03 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Those are activists, not representative of the vast majority of vegans. It's like saying anyone who is a Christian spends their time marching outside abortion clinics.
Activists can pull more sensible people into their insanity over time. We need to keep an eye on that and shut it down.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:28 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
My brother is hardcore vegan. I don’t know if he is a fanatic, but he is extreme, dogmatic, and IMO, a hypocrite. He and I got into a major, major fight because he decided to get (a) a cat that he fed a vegan diet to and (b) he lets outside.

I’m more of a cat fanatic that believes in keeping house cats indoors and using humanely sourced and sustainable meat and seafood for a cat’s diet, though I abstain from meat myself. So it was the perfect storm.

So I told him straight up he was not only a hypocrite but also an animal abuser. He wasn’t trying to hear two objective truths: (1) cats are obligate carnivores, and it’s nothing short of animal abuse to feed a cat non-meat products, and (2) vegan-fed cats aren’t going to just keep being vegan cats when you let them outside. The cat is guaranteed eating mice and birds and such, some of which could be endangered. So you’re basically contributing to part of the problem which caused you to be vegan to begin with. So, despite his veganism, he’s done a major disservice to animals in two ways.

That triggered him suffice it to say. We didn’t speak for months afterwards. We just don’t talk about that subject anymore and neither of us has apologized. For me, there’s nothing to apologize for. Though I did hear from his girlfriend that they started feeding the cat fish which makes me feel slightly better about the cat and a bit more vindicated.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:27 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Regardless one's food choices, I have a hard time understanding anyone's complete disregard for the possible suffering that led to their meal.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Regardless one's food choices, I have a hard time understanding anyone's complete disregard for the possible suffering that led to their meal.
Suffering leads to death of ALL meals. Life consumes life. And no life wants to end. Therefore suffering is not a real concern. We can minimize it, and should minimize it if it’s not too expensive. But we can’t eliminate it. Animals don’t worry about it as they attack, kill, and eat each other. Neither should we. Sure, kill animals with compassion and without gratuitous cruelty. But they have to die for us to eat, and that’s pretty much that.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:10 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Vegans do make a mess of celebrations. I do think vegan etiquette should automatically include that vegans always bring all their food to celebrations. It’s blatantly rude to expect the host of a celebration to cater to your personal culinary style.
What if they, the vegans, are the hosts of the party?

Would you think it rude of them not to include animal products for you to consume?

Old 02-15-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

Would you think it rude of them not to include animal products for you to consume?
Vegans should only invite other vegans to their parties. It’s abusive and rude to expect the general rational population to show up and be forced to entertain your virtue signaling fanaticism.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:50 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

Gosh no, and I would happily go to a vegan party and eat.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 02-16-2021 at 05:41 PM..

Old 02-16-2021, 07:44 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Quote:
Vegans should only invite other vegans to their parties. It’s abusive and rude to expect the general rational population to show up and be forced to entertain your virtue signaling fanaticism.
Abusive? How is your body or brain being abused? Maybe your taste buds/preferences aren’t being satisfied for one meal, but as the philosopher Mick Jagger noted, we can’t always get what we want. Truthfully, you have animal products at every meal? You never ever voluntarily had a meal that was vegan by default? Before I became a vegan I sometimes just wanted a veggie plate or something similar.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:48 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
In your case, it's not the vegans who are fanatic and extreme as per the thread title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology