Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2023, 06:40 AM

52 posts, read 41,333 times

Advertisements

Welp. Looks like the beaver will need to find another spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 07:31 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,875,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina623728 View Post
Welp. Looks like the beaver will need to find another spot.
I don't think it's totally dead....they just haven't greased the right palms yet.

Old 12-12-2023, 12:42 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,760,872 times
Generally three things will happen from this point.

1. The town council can simply vote to approve this as is at their meeting as the PZB decision is just advisory in nature in NC.

2. The TC can vote to deny it

3. The applicant may make some additional concessions based on comments that were made by town staff leading up to the PZB presentation and vote, and on comments from the public and the PZB members during the hearing and debate. They can amend the conditions list and or the entire submission prior to the TC meeting. The TC can then vote to approve the revised proposal and conditions.

And with typical development the third option is the most likely outcome. Of course it remains to be seen if Buc-ee’s will pick up and go home again or if they are willing to give a bit this time. I have no idea what comments were made, what the town staff may have suggested (they often have the best idea of what might sway the council and the public and may have suggested things the applicant rejected during the pre-submittal phase, which often runs for months before the meetings).

Between these two proposals Buc-ees’s has likely spent at least half a million dollars all in. Whether that means anything to them I don’t know but they certainly seem closer this go round than last time.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:30 AM

5,880 posts, read 6,948,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Of course it remains to be seen if Buc-ee’s will pick up and go home again or if they are willing to give a bit this time. I have no idea what comments were made, what the town staff may have suggested (they often have the
If I were Mr. Buc-ee, I would certainly say F-U to Mebane and the surrounding area, if they get turned down again.

Of course, most of the people speaking up at the meeting are the ones opposed to the idea. Yes, it will probably impact those that spoke, but Buc-ees would be a greater benefit for the whole community. If they are smart, they will realize how many decent paying jobs it will create, along with tax base increase and approve the project.

Old 12-13-2023, 03:49 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,272 times
I visited the Florence, SC on I95 and traffic was quite insane trying to get back onto I95 north. But that says more about the municipality than Buc-ees, because the traffic pattern to get back on to I95 was setup like there would be very low cars per hour on that road, and clearly people are drawn to Buc-ee's I don't think it will just be commuters. I went out of my way to visit (about 10 miles outta my way).

Old 12-13-2023, 08:16 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,725,542 times
I agree 124%! If they vote it down it's their loss. I'll continue to go to the
one in Florence and let them have my money there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
but Buc-ees would be a greater benefit for the whole community. If they are smart, they will realize how many decent paying jobs it will create, along with tax base increase and approve the project.

Old 12-13-2023, 08:44 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,793 times
Build one in that odd pocket of land that's never been used in Crossroads at the wild intersection of 40 and US-1.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:23 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,987,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Build one in that odd pocket of land that's never been used in Crossroads at the wild intersection of 40 and US-1.
The part owned by the Martin family behind the plaza? There's no convenient access to it and NCDOT will be spending a pretty chunk of money to acquire much of it for the interchange rebuild. They don't want to be in that congested of an area anyway.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:36 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
The part owned by the Martin family behind the plaza? There's no convenient access to it and NCDOT will be spending a pretty chunk of money to acquire much of it for the interchange rebuild. They don't want to be in that congested of an area anyway.
Yeah, I was partly joking but there has to be somewhere around here that'd be viable for them to go that is willing to welcome them with open arms. They'll figure it out at some point I suppose.

Old 12-14-2023, 05:25 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Yeah, I was partly joking but there has to be somewhere around here that'd be viable for them to go that is willing to welcome them with open arms. They'll figure it out at some point I suppose.
Dorethea Dix land? Surely, they could carve out 30 acres which is just less than 10%.

State Farmers' Market Land?

Umstead Park at Exit 287 I40? Thousands of acres going to waste just for people to walk in the woods.

Cary Town Center? "Gert: Get me Tim Sweeney on the phone!!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary