Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 08:43 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
No it doesn't at all. So do they stop at Cameron or do we go down the line until everyone with any gripe real or imagined is satisfied?
I don't know, this isn't my hill to defend. But I'm okay with honoring our commitment to have a country where all men (and women) feel like they were create equally.

Does change both you in general, or is it that you assign a morale score to every situation and believe that if it doesn't meet a certain minimum it's not worth pursuing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 08:51 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,760,274 times
Where does it end?

Old 01-29-2021, 09:24 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
The more I think and read about this, the more I realize how much name changing could be ahead if people now feel the Cameron name needs to be expunged because it’s trained.
Not that anyone cares, but that was supposed to be “tainted” not “trained,” and it’s too late to edit, but I couldn’t just leave it there. Stupid autocorrect.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:51 AM

4,263 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Over the decades, the City either ignored Oberlin or made decisions that accelerated its deterioration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
What do you think the city should have done differently?
The City annexed the Oberlin community but provided very few City services (water, sewer, etc). Of course, Oberlin was not the only African-American neighborhood to be treated that way. In general the City conspired with banks and developers to redline those neighborhoods and keep them second-class areas.

When the City authorized construction of Cameron Village (oops, the Village District) the streets around Oberlin were redesigned. In the process the Oberlin community was split and some of the homes were taken by eminent domain. You can bet that no white folks' homes were taken in that project. Same story when Wade Ave as we know it today was built in the mid-1960s. (Residents of Hayti in Durham had the same thing happen to them when the Durham Freeway was built.)

Then the City began to rezone parts of the community as O&I, with little or no input from the residential land owners. In some respects, Oberlin was one of the first Raleigh neighborhoods to be gentrified -- although nobody thought of it that way back then, and certainly nobody in power was concerned about the impact on the African-American property owners. It's my understanding that only four houses and two churches have been designed Raleigh Historic Landmarks. Heck, if this was Mordecai (from which black folks were essentially ejected) there would be a zoning overlay and the whole area would have been declared historic. Nor has the City has shown interest in resolving the issues around the 3-acre Oberlin cemetery.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:31 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodsonRamseur View Post
Careful or what?

Just be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
The man owned slaves. Not sure that the number of slaves that he owned makes any difference...

Thank you... Bo posts his fair share of odd and polarizing statements considering he is a Realtor who is pretty recognizable. Kinda reckless if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
... do we rename Raleigh "The City"?

Let's do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Where does it end?

It ends when it ends. Just relax and watch.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
In some respects, Oberlin was one of the first Raleigh neighborhoods to be gentrified -- although nobody thought of it that way back then, and certainly nobody in power was concerned about the impact on the African-American property owners. It's my understanding that only four houses and two churches have been designed Raleigh Historic Landmarks. Heck, if this was Mordecai (from which black folks were essentially ejected) there would be a zoning overlay and the whole area would have been declared historic.
While I’m all for preservation and am all too aware of the potential negative impacts of gentrification, I question whether the city should have designated the area a historic district, certainly not without the residents advocating for and supporting the idea. If they did and weren’t listened to, then that’s certainly a problem, but I wouldn’t assume everyone would have wanted that as it usually limits what property owners can do with their property. There have been other historically black neighborhoods in the area that have rejected the idea, and residents should really be the ones making that decision.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:54 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
I mean you're free to pursue that if you want if you feel so strongly about it. Cameron Village is privately-owned property and the decision was privately made by the owner.
You missed the sarcasm font.

I should have labeled my thread to what Lancer commented: "Where does it end"?

Old 01-29-2021, 10:54 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
So if Regency decided they wanted to change the name of one of their shopping centers because they found the current name to be unacceptable and/or a liability, who should have stopped them?

Old 01-29-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
So if Regency decided they wanted to change the name of one of their shopping centers because they found the current name to be unacceptable and/or a liability, who should have stopped them?
I don’t think anyone so far has said they should have been stopped from doing so.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:09 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
No, just 7 pages of griping about a business decision made to reflect the changing times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary