Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,527 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a really great recipe for Boston Baked Beans ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
Does anyone have a really great recipe for Boston Baked Beans ?
I made the one in this cookbook.

Amazon.com: The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World: Lynn Alley: Books

If you click on "search inside this book" the recipe is available as part of the excerpt. It was really really delicious.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:33 PM

324 posts, read 883,729 times
I was just on ParentsConnect found this recipe for Roasted Chicken with Rosemary, Lemon and Garlic that can be made in a crock pot. I would love to walk into the house after work to the smell of a roast chicken!

This recipe is the busy family's solution to a baked chicken, and the frugal family's answer to store-bought rotisserie chicken.
Dish Needs:

* 1 (2 to 3-pound) whole chicken
* 6 fresh rosemary sprigs, divided
* 1 lemon, cut into quarters
* 2 tablespoons bottled minced garlic, divided
* 2 tablespoons lemon pepper, divided
* cooking spray

Dish It Out:

1. 1. In the bottom of a 3 ½-quart or larger slow cooker, spray generously with cooking spray.
2. 2. Place 3 sprigs of the rosemary and 1 tablespoon of the garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker.

3. 3. Place remaining rosemary, garlic and the lemon quarters inside the cavity of the chicken.
4. 4. Sprinkle 1½ tablespoons of lemon pepper over top of chicken and place chicken into the slow cooker on the bed of rosemary and garlic, breast-side down.
5. 5. Sprinkle back with remaining lemon pepper.
6. 6. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear.

Dish Tips:

* Slow-roasting a chicken in a slow cooker infuses wonderful flavor into the meat that is so fall-off-the-bone tender, you don't need a knife to cut it up. Remove the meat with tongs from the slow cooker onto a serving plate, leaving the bones in the crock and serve the pan juices on the side.
* By placing the chicken breast-side down, you are guaranteed moist, tender breast meat.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:04 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,595 times
I tried a very easy one today. And I mean easy - it took about 3 minutes to prepare -- I was still out the door by 7 a.m.!. I saw a variation of this on the Internet. Mix together 1 can Campbell's golden mushroom soup and 1 bottle Italian dressing (I used the zesty variety). Put in crockpot with about 2 1/2 lbs chicken - I used breast tenderloins. The recipe said simply to cook all day at low, so I opted for 8 1/2 hours. It's served over boil-in-bag rice, and with microwave peas on the side. So very easy. I think I prefer the taste of the mushroom soup over the dressing (too pungent, too tangy for me), so next time I will try putting in 2 cans of the soup and maybe a 1/2 small bottle of the dressing, non-zesty variety. It's definitely edible.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:14 AM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,301 times
Crock Pot Shrimp Creole

melt 1/2 C butter in skillet add 1/3 C Flour and brown. Stirring often, add: 1 3/4 C sliced onion, 1 C green pepper, 1 C diced celery, and 1 1/2 Large shredded carrots. Cook for 5-10 minutes. Add to cooker.

Next add:
2 3/4 # can tomatoes
3/4 C H2O
1/2 t thyme
1 minced clove of garlic
pinch rosemary
1 T sugar
3 bay leaves
1 T worchestershire
1 T salt
1/8 t oregano

Stir well. (I usually mix all this up in a bowl first before hand. Rather the extra dishes than a possible mess) Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Add 2# Shrimp during last hour. Serve on Rice.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 AM

Plain 'ol Rice

Place 4 C uncooked rice into well greased (butter) crock pot with 10 C H2O or Broth of choice (I like chicken). 4 t salt.

Cook on HIGH 2-3 hours. Stir once in a while.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:22 AM

Tuna Noodle on Toast

2 (6 1/2 oz) cans tuna
2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 C milk
2 T parsley
10 oz thawed frozen veggie mix
10 oz cooked noodles

Cook LOW for 7-9 hours or HIGH 3-4

Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 AM

Peanut Butter Fudge Cake

Sift together:
1/2 C flour
1/4 C sugar
3/4 t baking powder

Add:
1/3 C milk
1 T oil
1/2 t vanilla

Mix until smooth.
Stir in 1/4 C peanut butter
Pour into crock pot

Mix (in separate bowl):
1/2 C sugar
3 T cocoa powder

Gradually stir in 1 C boiling H2O.

Pour into crock pot but DO NOT MIX.

Cook HIGH 2-3 hours. Done when pick test is clean.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:51 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
I tried a very easy one today. And I mean easy - it took about 3 minutes to prepare -- I was still out the door by 7 a.m.!. I saw a variation of this on the Internet. Mix together 1 can Campbell's golden mushroom soup and 1 bottle Italian dressing (I used the zesty variety). Put in crockpot with about 2 1/2 lbs chicken - I used breast tenderloins. The recipe said simply to cook all day at low, so I opted for 8 1/2 hours. It's served over boil-in-bag rice, and with microwave peas on the side. So very easy. I think I prefer the taste of the mushroom soup over the dressing (too pungent, too tangy for me), so next time I will try putting in 2 cans of the soup and maybe a 1/2 small bottle of the dressing, non-zesty variety. It's definitely edible.
I am saving this it looks so easy and yummy ..thanks!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:20 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,595 times
Sure, marye711! Let me know your thoughts, and if you try any variations. Next week I will be trying a Chicken Parisienne recipe I found. I will post it even though I haven't tried it, b/c it looks easy and tasty (the onyl 2 criteria for a crock pot!)

-6 skinless, boneless breast halves
-salt & pepper
-paprika to taste
-1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can cream mushroom soup
- 1 4.5 oz can mushrooms, drained
-1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- rice or noodles

Sprinkle chicken with flour, S & P, paprika. Put in crockpot. In bowl, mix wine, soup and mushrooms. In 2nd bowl, mix sour cream & flour. Stir sour cream mix into mushrooms & wine mix. Pour the whole thing over the chicken & add more paprika (to taste). Cook on low 6-8 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes