Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,388,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Amen

A man should be motivated by the fact that eating at home is less expensive, better (you get to choose the menu, you're more comfortable, it's more intimate, etc.) and knowing how to cook is extremely useful in life. Same goes for all household tasks. They're grown-up men, aren't they? Do they need to be motivated (or talked into, or nagged) by another adult to do things like kids need it? That's so sad
Or perhaps they are just not motivated because they don't feel like going above and beyond for their partner, as they are not getting the same in return.

And you are absolutely right, eating at home offers a lot of benefits, it would be nice if more people realized it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I don't know about this source, Redisca. Feminists are a broad group of people.
Indeed they are, so I'm not sure about what you meant by "feminist logic", especially since (as far as I can tell) no one in this thread has seriously suggested that women shouldn't cook, clean or do laundry at all. That's not what it's about.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:08 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,555,632 times
Quote:
Or perhaps they are just not motivated because they don't feel like going above and beyond for their partner, as they are not getting the same in return.

And you are absolutely right, eating at home offers a lot of benefits, it would be nice if more people realized it.
Oh, I never said I refused to give the same in return. I expect to give and get (roughly) equally, that's why I say that the two of us should be doing household tasks and splitting all the (no matter how hard or pleasurable) work a nice and comfy home needs, irrespective of our chromosome setup. Sure, I'm better at some tasks and he's better at others, but both of us will eventually get to do everything, and therefore it never feels like you're not receiving what you're giving.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Indeed they are, so I'm not sure about what you meant by "feminist logic", especially since (as far as I can tell) no one in this thread has seriously suggested that women shouldn't cook, clean or do laundry at all. That's not what it's about.
Did you really read this thread then, because it seems to me that in many places the exact thing was suggested, or at least it was implied that cleaning and cooking and doing chores should no longer be part of woman's life and she should do it only if she wants to, like once in a while.

And somehow, my opinion of the fact that perhaps just perhaps men enjoy and want that in their partners is being ridiculed as an old fashioned nonsense by the feminist hysteria.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:15 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Did you really read this thread then, because it seems to me that in many places the exact thing was suggested, or at least it was implied that cleaning and cooking and doing chores should no longer be part of woman's life and she should do it only if she wants to, like once in a while.

And somehow, my opinion of the fact that perhaps just perhaps men enjoy and want that in their partners is being ridiculed as an old fashioned nonsense by the feminist hysteria.
Boy, you clean house quickly! Wanna come clean mine, too?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I do get Max's Mama's point.

I do get bigcats' and 2mares' points.

I get Max's Mama's posts because that's where we come from (her and I).

But our postulates don't always apply here. In fact, life here (in North Am) has forced me to start re-examining "the postulates".

People over there have their soul and emotions as their source. People over here rely more on mind and logic.

Neither is right or wrong, just like at one time having a warm Max's mama's shoulder to cry on is fine, - and at other times slicing it down with facts and logic is fine, too.

Nuala, I think I'm somewhere in the middle between my old world and my new world here in North America.

Ironically a person who is arguing with me on this thread also at some point enjoyed my sympathy about her marriage problems. Speaking of crying on a warm shoulder.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Boy, you clean house quickly! Wanna come clean mine, too?
I'm multi-tasking, it's not done yet.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
Quote:

That's not at all how I read it. Rather, people were saying that they shouldn't be expected to cook, clean and do chores just because they are women, while men shouldn't just put their feet up while their partner is putting in a second shift at home just because they are men; and that chores should be distributed reasonably and equitably between the spouses, since the both equally need food, clean shelter and clean clothing. I have no doubt that what men enjoy and want in their partners is someone who will do nice things for them and make their lives easier. I don't see what's wrong with women wanting and enjoying the same in their partners; why women should only enjoy giving and shun receiving. And men who want a "partner" who is actually little more than a Roomba vac with a vagina should be ridiculed. It's not "hysteria"; it's common sense.

Last edited by Redisca; 08-18-2010 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
The cleaning of the house is not only for the husband, it's for myself and my family. I'm guessing a woman who doesn't bother cleaning her house while in a relationship will live in a messy hole of a place if she had to live by herself.
Aw, ya got me . Perfect house just isn't a priority. I work in the real estate business and I've seen em all - too clean and sterile to "hoarders" horrors. I grew up with a mother who cleaned all day and complained about it. It is monotonous, never ending work and it sucks to always be worried about it. Yes some people like it but most don't, especially after a long day at work. It can turn people into unhappy bitter nags if everything has to be perfect but there is no time and they are exhausted. There's a concept of good enough and it has nothing to do with pleasing a man because they usually don't notice anyway.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Can we please stop using "feminist" as a put-down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships