Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 01:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Imagine if a man said," She expects me to take out the trash and do household maintenance and those 'husband things'."
Well, there are men who have no clue about household maintenance and they really don’t have to. In this case, though, they better be able to afford the professionals for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 01:03 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
I don't quite understand the big hoopla on this thread... You'd think some women don't need to clean their places or eat when they're alone..
I think the objection is to the implication that housework is women's work, not just stuff that needs to get done when you're a grown up. There is a certain sense of satisfaction looking a a pile of clean laundry or a freshly tidied room, but that doesn't have anything to do with gender. I felt the same way yesterday after working in the yard (which I am apparently not supposed to do because I am a fine lady.)

Old 08-16-2010, 01:10 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I sadly heard a beautiful gal at church today say she is getting divorced.
"He expects me to cook and clean and do those wife things"
She just might be a victim of Bravo's Real Housewife's franchise. The women in those reality shows are just editing-room cutouts who mingle with humans.

Someone needs to tell that beautiful gal that life isn't a soap opera.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:11 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't quite understand the big hoopla on this thread... You'd think some women don't need to clean their places or eat when they're alone...
Applying that logic, the reverse is true: Men who live alone have to do that for themselves, don't they? So why stop when they get married?

Bottom line is I don't have to clean whiskers out of the sink, pee off the toilet rim (can you tell that my wasband had bad aim?), someone else's laundry, in short someone else's mess. I also don't come home to a wrecked house after I've spent time cleaning it. Likewise, if I want a bowl of Lucky Charms for dinner, I don't have anyone up in my face pizzing, moaning, and whining about how he wants a "REAL MEAL." Right. Talk to the hand, pal.

I am very, very careful about cooking dinner for my guy. Once in a while, if I feel like cooking in general (meaning I'd do it for myself, anyway) I'll do it, but I've found that he, like every single flippin' man I've ever known in my 43 years on this planet, then comes to expect it--which is why I'm currently in boycott mode right now. I told him my cooking is done for the season and to check back after the Equinox. He knows that if he wants a woman who is going to cook, he is free to go find someone else, because that is just not me. Never has been, never will be. I don't try to change him, he shouldn't try to change me, and fortunately, he doesn't.

As for cleaning, he has his house, I have my apartment, it works. Heck, I know married people like that, with his and hers houses.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think the objection is to the implication that housework is women's work, not just stuff that needs to get done when you're a grown up.
You know, I've gotten worked up over division of housework sometimes myself. It's funny how everything is a matter of perspective and many times we don't see the forest for the trees. It seems like a big deal when you're married, but then almost all of this work (and the rest is the stuff you just may not do when you're alone) is all yours when you get divorced, plus all the manly stuff you either have to find a way of doing, or pay quite a bit of money to have somebody else do it for you.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:14 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Applying that logic, the reverse is true: Men who live alone have to do that for themselves, don't they? So why stop when they get married?

Bottom line is I don't have to clean whiskers out of the sink, pee off the toilet rim (can you tell that my wasband had bad aim?), someone else's laundry, in short someone else's mess. I also don't come home to a wrecked house after I've spent time cleaning it. Likewise, if I want a bowl of Lucky Charms for dinner, I don't have anyone up in my face pizzing, moaning, and whining about how he wants a "REAL MEAL." Right. Talk to the hand, pal.

I am very, very careful about cooking dinner for my guy. Once in a while, if I feel like cooking in general (meaning I'd do it for myself, anyway) I'll do it, but I've found that he, like every single flippin' man I've ever known in my 43 years on this planet, then comes to expect it--which is why I'm currently in boycott mode right now. I told him my cooking is done for the season and to check back after the Equinox. He knows that if he wants a woman who is going to cook, he is free to go find someone else, because that is just not me. Never has been, never will be. I don't try to change him, he shouldn't try to change me, and fortunately, he doesn't.

As for cleaning, he has his house, I have my apartment, it works. Heck, I know married people like that, with his and hers houses.
whatever you wont do another women will...so keep that attitude and I hope it works for you.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Heck, I know married people like that, with his and hers houses.
Oh, I totally agree with this one - it's a recipe for a happy marriage!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think the objection is to the implication that housework is women's work, not just stuff that needs to get done when you're a grown up. There is a certain sense of satisfaction looking a a pile of clean laundry or a freshly tidied room, but that doesn't have anything to do with gender. I felt the same way yesterday after working in the yard (which I am apparently not supposed to do because I am a fine lady.)
Heh, likewise, there is a certain blinding rage that comes from looking at a formerly tidied room that someone has cavalierly come home and trashed with his clutter, the mud on the bottom of his shoes, and his inability to hang a jacket in a closet.

Okay, I have work to do and this thread is aggravating me entirely too much. I need to step away, make some money, and avoid a stroke.

You gals know I adore you.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
whatever you wont do another women will...so keep that attitude and I hope it works for you.
Ah, yes, the implied threat of another woman "stealing your man."

Please. I wouldn't want a man who expects that kind of indentured servitude from a woman. If a man wants that, as Spinx put it so well, he's a pig. Other women can have the pigs of this world. I've got better things to do. I'm not that desperate for a man's company.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Heh, likewise, there is a certain blinding rage that comes from looking at a formerly tidied room that someone has cavalierly come home and trashed with his clutter, the mud on the bottom of his shoes, and his inability to hang a jacket in a closet.
Of course, had it been seeds thrown by the birds, it'd be fine, Avienne, wouldn't it?!

Quote:
Okay, I have work to do and this thread is aggravating me entirely too much. I need to step away, make some money, and avoid a stroke.

You gals know I adore you.
Please, don't crock on me now! You know I love ya, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships