Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 07:09 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
If you enjoyed it, more power to you. I just hope that your sons don't expect the women they date to be the same way. I will say that my wasband's mother was the stereotypical housewife, and she did much too much for her kids, which crippled them both as adults. The son (my wasband) was, well, you get the picture from my rants. Just helpless and entitled.
You know how I feel about this topic. I have 2 grown sons and believe me they cook and clean. Not always to my standards, but still. They both have girlfriends now and we are all together on weekends and do alot of cooking. Some of the posters would probably have a stroke seeing my sons cooking for the women. One of the girlfriends was telling me how my son would not let her help cook or wash dishes. I have no problem with her helping me tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
ill just call AAA
What if your cell is out of range or has a dead battery?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,552,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What will you do when you have a flat and a man is not there to do it for you. Women "our daughters" should be taught to check oil, jump start a car and change a tire as much as to cook and do basic domestic chores.
that is the most.....mom please teach me how to change a tire but dont teach me how to keep a clean house????

Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
ill use someone else's phone....and I think by then somebody would pull over and help me

Old 08-17-2010, 07:13 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,390,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
We both live in the house so we both need to take care of it and see it for what it is .....a dirty floor (sweep/mop it)...dirty clothes (load washing machine)....dirty dishes (load dishwasher)....hungry (cook/order take out).

When I got married, I had this crazy notion that marriage is supposed to be about helping each other, not an "assignment of duties".
Yes, I do agree with the above. Keeping the house clean should be a collective effort. I think the issue that I have personally is when a woman says that she doesn't need to do any of those things and her husband shouldn't say "shyt" about it.

You know what I learned from other men? When they say to their wifes: "Honey, I don't really care that much whether you cook or clean, it's your heart that matters", they are lying!!! Because guess what? When they are at the wife's girlfriend's house and she cooks a great homemade meal, the husband secretly thinks: "I wish my wife cooked like that for me". Or when he sees how neat and organized the house is, he thinks " I wish my wife kept the house so nice and neat".
It's worth mentioning that there are so many other qualities that are more important for a man, but if he had a choice between a woman he loves that cooks and a woman he loves and doesn't cook, I bet you, he would prefer the first situation.
So why not make your man happy???

On the other hand, when a woman is bending backwards for him, being a great housekeeper and doesn't get an ounce of appreciation, than he may as well shove it. And let's face it, 90% of the time it all comes down to sex. She would be so much more willing to cook a great meal after having multiple orgasms (suppose to walking around unsatisfied, waiting for him to leave so she can pull out her vibrator).

Old 08-17-2010, 07:15 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
There are guys on the roads, ya know! Nope, I'm not changing a tire, either. First of all, I can't, for the life of me! Second, even if I could, I still won't.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Why is it that after a large family gathering the men go and sit down and watch tv and the women clear the table and wash the dishes.....infuriates me to no end but i digress I'm getting off topic here.
Thats the way it has always been in my family. The women are always in the kitchen and the men sitting around. I use to be so disgusted at my exs family dinners. My ex MIL would put the food in her dhs plate, get his drink, fill his drink, reminded me of Edith Bunker, then it was "what do need, daddy, what can I get you, daddy." Gag. He is the kind of man that just wont eat unless a woman cooks and sits a plate in front of him.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Yes, I do agree with the above. Keeping the house clean should be a collective effort. I think the issue that I have personally is when a woman says that she doesn't need to do any of those things and her husband shouldn't say "shyt" about it.

You know what I learned from other men? When they say to their wifes: "Honey, I don't really care that much whether you cook or clean, it's your heart that matters", they are lying!!! Because guess what? When they are at the wife's girlfriend's house and she cooks a great homemade meal, the husband secretly thinks: "I wish my wife cooked like that for me". Or when he sees how neat and organized the house is, he thinks " I wish my wife kept the house so nice and neat".
It's worth mentioning that there are so many other qualities that are more important for a man, but if he had a choice between a woman he loves that cooks and a woman he loves and doesn't cook, I bet you, he would prefer the first situation.
So why not make your man happy???

On the other hand, when a woman is bending backwards for him, being a great housekeeper and doesn't get an ounce of appreciation, than he may as well shove it. And let's face it, 90% of the time it all comes down to sex. She would be so much more willing to cook a great meal after having multiple orgasms (suppose to walking around unsatisfied, waiting for him to leave so she can pull out her vibrator).
this is too funny but oh so true

Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
that is the most.....mom please teach me how to change a tire but dont teach me how to keep a clean house????

Well, I didnt say dont teach girls to cook and clean, I said in addition to.

Quote:
There are guys on the roads, ya know! Nope, I'm not changing a tire, either. First of all, I can't, for the life of me! Second, even if I could, I still won't.
I guess Im thinking of where I live in a rural area it may be hours before another car comes along. Now Sierra have you ever tried to change a tire? Ya know, cant never could. LOL. I admit there have been times I couldnt get the lug nuts off, because they put them on so tight and I just dont have the upper strength a man does.

I just think there are basic thing all people should know how to do and we should teach our children regardless of gender. I hate being dependant on someone else although I will take advantage if someone else is willing to do it for me.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,068,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I sadly heard a beautiful gal at church today say she is getting divorced.
"He expects me to cook and clean and do those wife things" I thought how sad, I just kept quiet because I really was astounded.
What do you think?
I think a lot of men don't understand that doing menial housework is a way of taking care of your woman/family. And then there are some men--boys really--who are just lazy, selfish, and unwilling to grow up and be men.

If my wife told me she didn't want to cook and clean or "do those wife things", then I'd learn to cook better and make the meals, live with a dirty house or clean it myself, and handle sh-t, like a man ought to. We'd re-arrange our lifestyle so she was happy with her roles and I was happy with mine.

I cooked and cleaned when I was single. Not very well, but I didn't have a partner then to help with everything else. So I can handle that stuff, no problem.

It might mean switching roles or reducing my out-of-the-house work load. It might mean less money coming in. Or it might just mean shouldering my fair share of the household burden if my wife is taking on an unfair load.

If you feel like your marriage is not 50/50, you're not going to be happy. I don't think you're being honest with yourself if you have to tell yourself stuff like: "it's a woman's duty" or "I care more about others, so I'll do this." That's just building yourself up on a martyr's pedestal: "Look at me, I sacrifice all of myself for the lazy men in my life, I'm better, love me!"

Quote:
I always worked full time, cooked,cleaned,kept the house moving along. Worked nights if I needed to. What I wanted was a happy home. Maybe I did more than my share but who is keeping a list?
Have we raised a generation of women who will never know the satisfaction of dying a little to oneself?
I think everybody's keeping that internal list, even if you try not to. It affects how you respond to your partner. If you're secretly resentful, you're not going to want to share your life with "that jerk". I've seen a lot of women who feel mistreated or overburdened at home and they internalize that hurt, taking refuge in religion, collectables, children, anything to get away from "that jerk" so they won't have to face up to the fact that they're needs are not being met in the relationship.

Better than swallowing your bitterness to keep the peace in a "happy home" is having it out with your spouse. Women are mentally strong, tough, and smart; they evolved these traits to live in a world dominated by large, prideful, aggressive men. They should stand up and complain when they feel mistreated. It might initially lead to a fight or many fights, because men are prideful and macho. However, a good man will feel good about taking care of his woman, and bad men should be forced to change or else lose their woman.

Sometimes it takes a lot of "vigerous communication" to get a man to realize that doing the laundry, helping with housework, or cooking is equal to defending his home, bringing in money, or any of the things men are hardwired to think of as taking care of his family/wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships