Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Yep, 30 mins each, once a week!

This is where I live and work just around the corner from:
Oh, Australia... I figured it can't be the US...

Then how come you're with us on our time...? The rest from down under don't seem to manage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 07:30 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Then how come you're with us on our time...? The rest from down under don't seem to manage.
It’s 1:30pm Thursday here and I’ve just returned from lunch, what time is it where you are?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I was talking about "ignorance is bliss" type of happy-go-lucky.
Where ignorance is bliss, it is folly to be wise.

Think about it - up to a certain point of evolution, ignorance IS bliss. Out of sight, out of mind. Knowledge is a terrible burden, a dangerous distraction, and often leads to pride and arrogance.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
It’s 1:30pm Thursday here and I’ve just returned from lunch, what time is it where you are?
7:37 p.m., Wednesday.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Quote:
I am 30 years old and have no children. I don’t think I ever want children, or to own a home, because I would rather do without the responsibility of either. I like shopping sprees and being able to go on holidays whenever I please.

I have a very cushy job which includes massages every week and requires next to no really hard work.

I find that others often make me feel guilty for the life I lead. They make me feel lazy, irresponsible and immature because I have not chosen the same 2 kids, big house, mortgage, years in college to work a 12 hour a day job, that they have.

They tell me there “comes a time, when you have to settle down”.

Oh…?

I'd like to be introduced to whoever is making these rules for my life.

Is this just jealousy?
I haven't read the rest of the thread, but if that's what you want then go for it, I don't blame you one bit!

As far as the people making you feel guilty, I'd wager that it's a mix of jealousy, insecurity, and just pure confusion. Some people can't understand why someone wouldn't want the "2 kids, big house, mortgage, years in college to work a 12 hour a day job, that they have" and react negatively. As long as you can take care of yourself and be happy, I say go for it.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:00 PM

378 posts, read 1,063,698 times
Quote:
I am 30 years old and have no children. I don’t think I ever want children, or to own a home, because I would rather do without the responsibility of either. I like shopping sprees and being able to go on holidays whenever I please.

I have a very cushy job which includes massages every week and requires next to no really hard work.

I find that others often make me feel guilty for the life I lead. They make me feel lazy, irresponsible and immature because I have not chosen the same 2 kids, big house, mortgage, years in college to work a 12 hour a day job, that they have.

They tell me there “comes a time, when you have to settle down”.

Oh…?

I'd like to be introduced to whoever is making these rules for my life.

Is this just jealousy?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with continuing as you are if that is what makes you happy. You do not have to have kids or own a house. You can always change your mind if you want to even if you are old. There are always houses for sale and kids to adopt or foster. Do not feel pressured by anyone because only you know what is best for you.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Well, the secret to happiness in life is not caring what other people think of you. Knock yourself out.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This is the attitude that I just don't have a lot of respect for: valuing shopping/vacationing/indulgence above other things. I am sorry if you don't like what I said...but you asked for opinions and I gave mine.
I don't mean to insert myself, but I think I sort of see where both of you are coming from. I understand what you mean in that the totally irresponsible self-centered lifestyle is not appealing. However, I did not read her original post that way. Can I take off for a vacation tomorrow (or next week)? Sure. Can I run off to the mall and drop some cash? Absolutely. There's nothing really stopping me from doing any of those things, and I love that. However, that doesn't mean that I don't have responsibilities or live my life based upon indulgence. The pure reality is that things will always come ahead of myself (such as family, friends, at times I realize that do have to work). Really, in the end, it's the freedom to do anything I want that's so appealing. That doesn't mean that I don't care about anyone besides myself, it's just that I have more options than someone with children or even a husband.

Not that kids and a husband are a bad thing. Everyone is different, and it also depends on your stage in life. At some point I'd love to have kids, but right now I'd rather go to happy hour, and maybe Peru.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
There's nothing wrong with it. We're all going to die anyway.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, the secret to happiness in life is not caring what other people think of you. Knock yourself out.
One of the best sayings I have ever heard is “Be who you want to be, not who they want to see”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships