Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 07:58 PM

39,336 posts, read 27,718,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Most "college grads" these days can stick that piece of paper they "earned" (yeah right) to their forehead and use in an emergency to wipe their ars with it, when they forget to buy toilet paper, cause that's really all it's worth to most. Buddy, you need to find other women to date. Even if you had your degree, do you think a life with someone so superficial would be fulfilling? You served in the military, you served in Iraq, your life experience FAR exceeds anything these stuck up, worthless, gold digging you know whats could ever dream to experience. Find yourself a real woman bro!
compare apples and oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 08:13 PM

229 posts, read 232,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
This is kinda a rant but anyway.. So Im a 29 single white male average looks 5'7 brown hair and eyes. Im orginally from Boston and just moved to Dallas because Boston was just too expensive to live. I was in the military been to Iraq twice and saved all my money for a house. So I bought one just outside the Dallas area and have been trying the dating scene. At first it was tough cuz I dont know anyone here but lately Ive had some success. Now most of these women are college educated and the dates go fine. But once we get to the part when they ask where I went to school. I explain to them I dropped out and joined the military everything seems to fall apart and they tell me they want someone like-minded with the same goals. I dont get it. I own my own house, my own car (Acura TL) not cheap, and have no debt besides my house. Not to brag but I have a 401k another one with Edward Jones both about 20k and another 20k in the bank and somehow because I dont have a degree Im not gonna be successful. Im a police officer and make around 60k a year which is pretty good in dallas. Now at first I thought this was just one girl but it has happened to the last three girls I dated. They all want a guy with a degree which I think is overrated but thats just me, I chose a different route. A degree is a great accomplishment but I dont think you need one to be successful. I think Im in better shape than most of the people my age. Anyways whine over.. Think Im overreacting.
Just with your military background and the life experiences that you have ,you are way ahead of most college grads. just from reading your post I can tell that you have common sense and thats something you can't learn in any college.

Don't get me wrong! Its good to have a college degree behind you,but that doesn't make the person. I had a girlfriend years ago that frowned on the fact that I didn't have any college. People should judge you for who you are and not what you have. I am a successful person...because of my hard work and common sense.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:21 PM

5,140 posts, read 4,500,429 times
I don't understand all this judgment and resentment of women who prefer a man who has completed college. Everyone is entitled to his or her preference. Some women care about formal education and some do not. People are different. If a woman prefers a man with a college education, why does it matter to anyone else?

To the OP, in all honesty, you have been bringing a lot of unnecessary grief on yourself by going after the wrong women. Stop going after the college-educated women who want a college-educated man. Seek out the ones who want what you have to offer.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,779,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
compare apples and oranges.
Um, many universities admit, "life experience" far exceeds anything they can teach. On the job experience is far more valuable to perspective employers. Self made people are far more successful then anyone who went to school, got a degree and now truly believes the world owes them something!

Ask anyone older then 40, what they value more. Some crap they did to learn how to pass a test 20 years ago, while drinking and partying their way through the BS on mom and dad's money, or the true life experiences that have seasoned them?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,989,956 times
Quote:
[blah blah blah]
how about my points, sport?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:29 PM

39,336 posts, read 27,718,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I don't understand all this judgment and resentment of women who prefer a man who has completed college. Everyone is entitled to his or her preference. Some women care about formal education and some do not. People are different. If a woman prefers a man with a college education, why does it matter to anyone else?

To the OP, in all honesty, you have been bringing a lot of unnecessary grief on yourself by going after the wrong women. Stop going after the college-educated women who want a college-educated man. Seek out the ones who want what you have to offer.
Great post. very fair and balanced! =)

Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,572,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11222blue View Post
Just with your military background and the life experiences that you have ,you are way ahead of most college grads. just from reading your post I can tell that you have common sense and thats something you can't learn in any college.

Don't get me wrong! Its good to have a college degree behind you,but that doesn't make the person. I had a girlfriend years ago that frowned on the fact that I didn't have any college. People should judge you for who you are and not what you have. I am a successful person...because of my hard work and common sense.
No one is saying that people that do not have college degrees are not (or can not) be successful or good people. But why aren't women allowed to have a preference?

Men have MANY deal breakers regarding women that they do or do not find desirable, so why aren't women allowed to have deal breakers?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:45 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,572,159 times
Quote:
Um, many universities admit, "life experience" far exceeds anything they can teach. On the job experience is far more valuable to perspective employers. Self made people are far more successful then anyone who went to school, got a degree and now truly believes the world owes them something!

Ask anyone older then 40, what they value more. Some crap they did to learn how to pass a test 20 years ago, while drinking and partying their way through the BS on mom and dad's money, or the true life experiences that have seasoned them?
If this is the view that a particular man has about a college education then he most likely would not respect the hard work and sacrifice involved in earning those degrees.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:47 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,779,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
No one is saying that people that do not have college degrees are not (or can not) be successful or good people. But why aren't women allowed to have a preference?

Men have MANY deal breakers regarding women that they do or do not find desirable, so why aren't women allowed to have deal breakers?
Of the ten most successful couples I know, in relationships, NONE of those couples have college degrees. As in either partner. College is great for some, a total rip-off and waste of time for others. I think setting it as a relationship guide is a huge mistake.

Of the ten most successful people I know financially, only three have college degrees. All three were extremely ambitious, creative, hard working and they started their own businesses.

College is for those who need an aid, a helping hand, or want to blend in with the sheeple of society. It is not so much for the individual thinker. Now that is a broad brush, as college can be for these types who need a start in science, medicine, psychology, etc, but the great ones used their early education as a mere tool to get where THEY wanted to go.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:51 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,569,881 times
Meh, I work with Ph.D.'s on a regular basis. Many of them don't have an ounce of common sense. It's never mattered to me if a guy has a college degree or not. I would never want to be with someone who is defined by their degree or where they went to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships