Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 06:26 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,298,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
It's funny how Americans are so obsessed with "achievement" but when I look around all I see are trashy overweight people who have tattoos, use foul language, are crass and rude to each other and according to the statistics don't save any money, and are broke/or bankrupt.

You Americans live to work and have nothing deeper or meaningful to show for it.
No tattoos. I am generally polite but if need be I could make a sailor blush with my Texan language.

I am far from overweight. I am actually under threat of being hospitalized due to the weight I lost from my surgery if I don't gain it back by the 30th of this month and I have more than enough of my own hard earned money saved up.

I do not live to work. I live to serve and there is certainly a deeper meaning behind it and meaningful things to show for it.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:31 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,586,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
If that's all you see, you're hanging around in the wrong place.

"Americans face immediate financial concerns on a day-to-day basis, and these take priority over long-term retirement goals. In Bankrate's retirement savings poll, taken in mid-September, seven in 10 Americans (68 percent) said they are not able to reach their monthly retirement savings goal because of other financial responsibilities."

Two-thirds of Americans don't save enough (Page 1 of 3)

Also you might want to read: The Two Income Trap

Amazon.com: The Two Income Trap: Why Middle-Class Mothers and Fathers Are Going Broke (9780465090822): Elizabeth Warren, Amelia Warren Tyagi: Books

"The mother/daughter team of Elizabeth Warren and Amelia Warren Tyagi have written one scary book. What exactly makes this book so frightening? The fact that many of their conclusions are probably correct.
A friend who happens to be a CPA who counsels families in financial trouble told me about this book. She actually is warning her clients not to read it because it paints a fairly bleak and depressing picture. Naturally, after she told me this, I had to read it, even though she was correct, much of the information contained in it is depressing.

For one thing, in many ways the integration of women into the workplace and the rise of the two income family has not had the positive effect one might have hoped it would. Because so many families are now two income dependent they have become trapped and are more financially vulnerable than previous generations.

Many families use all of the income they receive from both husband and wife, and barely get by. As a result, any interruption of the income flow can result in disaster. One telling statistic: today's two-income family earns 75% more money than its single-income counterpart of a generation ago, but actually has less discretionary income once their fixed monthly bills are paid."

"This book describes two-income families competing ferociously with each other for homes in desirable school districts, driving home prices and property taxes to higher and higher levels, forcing many Americans to abandon their dreams of home ownership. All of this is done supposedly to benefit the children who, ironically, will be the first generation of Americans in history who will not be better off than their parents."

Old 01-14-2012, 06:32 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
It's funny how Americans are so obsessed with "achievement" but when I look around all I see are trashy overweight people who have tattoos, use foul language, are crass and rude to each other and according to the statistics don't save any money, and are broke/or bankrupt.

You Americans live to work and have nothing deeper or meaningful to show for it.
I'm a size 2, no tats, can curse like a sailor for the sake of amusement, am very polite, have a very nice savings and retirement.

I have very deep relationships with people, including family, friends and coworkers.

I don't really know anyone who lives to work, we work to live. I know a lot of really, really awesome people whom I adore. I like men. I like women. I know very few people like you describe.

I think many people here, and in the world in general are more like me, than fitting you description.

But nothing wil convince you of that. Honestly, I read your posts and just feel incredibly sad for you.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:39 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slanderous View Post
i love generalizing. It makes everyone so much angrier and opinionated.
lol!!!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,683,001 times
Lightbulb Well, On The Other Hand...

Quote:

It's funny how you sell all these cyber-wolf-tickets filled with 6th grade stereotypes about 'you Americans' when, at the end of the day, only you, your dog Zeke, your paperboy, and Glenda the Good Streetwalker Of The West, give a rat-fart how you feel about us

If you would bother to extricate your head from your hind-end for 30 seconds, and actually (gasp!) THINK before you speak/post, you would see that 'we Americans' are a hard-working, good-hearted bunch of people...we rally around each other in times of need, putting aside our various differences...and we generally DO care about each other...

In short, you might want to watch yourself with that 'you Americans' whifflepoof around here, because folks will tell you what time it is with the quickness, and won't bat an eyelash about sparing your little feelings... I try not to get caught up in the tide of 'if you don't like it here, LEAVE!', but frankly, your little hissy-fit means jack-nada-nothing to the majority of Americans

Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I know very few people like you describe.

I think many people here, and in the world in general are more like me, than fitting you description.

But nothing wil convince you of that.
Well you're a woman so you're sheltered from the harsh aspects of life and society. You don't see what I see because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Honestly, I read your posts and just feel incredibly sad for you.

Aww you feel sad for me... Awww isn't that nice... I mean, it's not that you REALLY care, its just that typical fake American pat you on the back while you look for an exit moment because you really don't care. Awww...

Old 01-14-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
.we rally around each other in times of need, putting aside our various differences...and we generally DO care about each other...
Not true. The West is a dog eat dog hyper competitive environment where once you're no longer usefully in this society they throw you away like old trash.

This is why age discrimination is very real in this country and why you all shove your elderly into "old foke homes"

Old 01-14-2012, 06:49 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Well you're a woman so you're sheltered from the harsh aspects of life and society. You don't see what I see because of that.

Aww you feel sad for me... Awww isn't that nice... I mean, it's not that you REALLY care, its just that typical fake American pat you on the back while you look for an exit moment because you really don't care. Awww...
As a woman, how in the heck am I sheltered from the harsh aspects of life and society?!!

My life has been strewn with the harsh facts of life, probably much worse than yours. I've lived through some absolutely horrific events. We're not talking can't get a date crap. We are talking life altering, horrible events.

And I DO feel sorry for you. You've created a world in your head where you can never be happy. You **** me off too.

I would still rather be me, than you.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:49 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,298,815 times
Quote:

I didn't know that reality had a gender bias!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:51 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,012,452 times
Quote:
Not true. The West is a dog eat dog hyper competitive environment where once you're no longer usefully in this society they throw you away like old trash.

This is why age discrimination is very real in this country and why you all shove your elderly into "old foke homes"
So true! And that it's seldom addressed and denied when it is makes it that much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.