Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
What women cannot seem to understand is that very good looking guys expect the world to revolve around them.
Even though I believe in the "equal looks" thing more than not, I've heard that the above, as you state, is true in that attractive women do not like a guy who looks into the mirrors they pass as often as they do!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Men remarry at greater rates because men don't do as well on their own. Women do. And men appear to be obsessed with women. I usually don't make generalizations about the genders, but it's just something I see every where, even with my own husband.
Not only is this your opinion, it's also projecting as well.

Men do just fine on their own. One reason women don't remarry is because...well to be frank there are lots of other younger women out there (self explanatory).

Quote:
Women seem to be way more important to men than men are to women.
Golly gosh , I had healthy intake of Schopenhauer's readings as a child to let me know otherwise.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Men do just fine on their own. One reason women don't remarry is because...well to be frank there are lots of other younger women out there (self explanatory).
Men do fine on their own...they can cook, shop, clean, do the dishes. Some will settle and some won't...hence, the single men.

Women don't remarry because the single/divorced/widowed, especially from middle age on, bond with each other fairly well, if they are minimally outgoing....doing the coffee thing and so on. I will grant you that women in a happy marriage that have kids may marginalize them (I've heard this complaint), so this makes for two big pools, from what I can see. But, nonetheless, the fellowship between women who don't have spouses appears to exist.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I can't even remember exactly what the o/p said. I've read so many posts about looks that when I see another, they all start screaming in my head til they all sort of run together. All I can say is it must be exhausting to put so much emphasis and importance on looks when they eventually fade away. I can only imagine all the missed opportunities it brings.
unless you tried to approach every single woman at a bar, club or wherever you go to socialize, you have missed out on opportunities also.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
What do the numbers mean, looks on a scale?

I'd say yes, most people are roughly evenly matched.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
not in the states, depending on which part of the country I see things like this

The northeast - Men date way, waaay, down
The West Coast (Socal) - People date up
The mid west - People date down in general here
The South - If they're not dating down they're about even.
The Heartland - You can date up really high here due to the lack of competition.
That doesn't make sense. If there are many people dating up there are also many people dating down too lol.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:

It is what it is and it has nothing to do with my or your opinion. Age differences at second marriage really don't differ that much from that of first marriage. Some men marry much younger, but they are in the minority so it makes no difference across the board. If you looked at the stats you will see that women entering second marriages do so at slower rates, which would put them in an older age bracket.

Beyond that, second marriages are at extreme risk for divorce. They are what skew divorce statistics. These men are divorced for a second time before they even reach 40. And the second marriage fact throws the whole "men not really wanting to get married" argument right out the window.

Quote:
Golly gosh , I had healthy intake of Schopenhauer's readings as a child to let me know otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Men do fine on their own...they can cook, shop, clean, do the dishes. Some will settle and some won't...hence, the single men.
Here's a quote and a couple of links. If you decide to review them you will see it's not a matter of my opinion.

"Never married women tend to manage their lives better than do single men. Studies suggest that single men are more depressed, report lower levels of well-being and life satisfaction and poorer health, and are more likely to commit suicide than single women. It may be that single women's greater ability to maintain close and supportive ties over their lifetime with family members, particularly siblings, and with friends, contributes to their greater overall well-being."

Singles/Never Married Persons - Psychosocial Characteristics Of The Never Married - Gender, Family, Women, and Particularly - JRank Articles

The Case for Marriage: Why Married People Are Happier, Healthier, and Better off Financially*|*PsychPage

Quote:
Women don't remarry because the single/divorced/widowed, especially from middle age on, bond with each other fairly well, if they are minimally outgoing....doing the coffee thing and so on. I will grant you that women in a happy marriage that have kids may marginalize them (I've heard this complaint), so this makes for two big pools, from what I can see. But, nonetheless, the fellowship between women who don't have spouses appears to exist.
It exists and there is no marginalization based on married or single. At least, I have never come across anything suggesting as much in the literature. It is well known that women bond with each other with greater ease and that's why they manage better when single.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:09 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
No, it's not my opinion. I've linked countless studies and you know it. Married men are always better off (physical, mental, emotional, and financial health). Better off than single, divorced, and widowed. You just can't stand that reality, but it is what it is.
It's relative I guess bc you hear it all the time. However, I'm single and there are other famous and non famous single men doing quite well physically, mentally, financially and emotionally. I'm 35 and I've ran the numbers and I'd be better off single rather than marrying someone that has children or a woman that makes a much lower income than myself. I also workout a lot and have lost a lot of weight and gained more muscle and muscle tone over the past year. It's hard to workout like I do with a marriage/marriage and children; not saying that you can't do it bc people do but I see more married couples with children that don't. I have some really good close friends and I've into my church and that alone plays a role in my emotional health. I can definitely see how a being married to a woman that makes as much or more than I do would help to improve me and her financially, but that woman is few and far between where I live my daily life.

So my point is that maybe those studies are starting to become less relevant in a world where there are more single people that are doing well.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:03 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Quote:
That's what I have noticed as well. Not only do people date others that are similar in looks, but also in education, culture, values, worldview, etc.
I agree, the package you present influences the type of person you will attract.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:11 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I agree, the package you present influences the type of person you will attract.
How? When you first meet someone you're a blank slate; excluding meeting through online dating sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships