Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 AM

150 posts, read 305,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I also think that online dating has changed a lot of things. I never dated a complete stranger. The guys I dated were men I already knew. We both already knew that there was a mutual attraction. And it's not like we were going out to expensive restaurants every night. In the beginning, I doubt if there was ever a bill over $50. But like I said - we weren't strangers - we both knew we wanted to be there. Maybe things would probably have been different if we were complete strangers to each other. But like I said - I've always offered to pay.
Interesting post. Why do people who don't know each other go out on these big fancy dates? If you don't like each other the date is not just a waste of time but a waste of money as well. Every first date should be drinks or coffee or something simple. Because if you can't make it through that whats the point?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:39 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Swarthout View Post
Interesting post. Why do people who don't know each other go out on these big fancy dates? If you don't like each other the date is not just a waste of time but a waste of money as well. Every first date should be drinks or coffee or something simple. Because if you can't make it through that whats the point?
I totally agree. Plus, if I was going out with someone I didn't know at all - I'd rather do something low pressure. I wouldn't want to have to sit through an entire meal if it was obvious that we weren't going to hit it off! Actually - I think coffee or just a walk in the park or something would be ideal.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
I agree with this the millennial generalizations tend to be redundant after a while. I don't even think its a matter of the recession its just the mindset of if all this stuff is necessary at a given point in time .

It's not the idea of paying for a date that gets me hostile I could care less. In my eyes it going on a date and the fun times it entails are the important part and that can be accomplished with little to no money. But I like some guys and gals have run into the problem of some people linking money spent to level of affection.
No wonder the coupon calls for a stoning then.

That idea of linking cash to affection is horrible. If anything, I'd think that designing an evening out that includes hobbies that the girl would love would really show that you are really into her. If it's photography that she is really into, would snapping some awesome pics of nature be of more utlilty to her than dinner at a fancy chain restaurant?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
I also think that online dating has changed a lot of things. I never dated a complete stranger. The guys I dated were men I already knew. We both already knew that there was a mutual attraction. And it's not like we were going out to expensive restaurants every night. In the beginning, I doubt if there was ever a bill over $50. But like I said - we weren't strangers - we both knew we wanted to be there. Maybe things would probably have been different if we were complete strangers to each other. But like I said - I've always offered to pay. And when I was in college and my boyfriend and I were seeing other people - I usually flat out insisted that I paid my share on dates. But most of the time - we didn't really go out to eat on those dates anyway.
I definitely believe that for an online dating meetup, the couple should each pay their own way. They're basically strangers and there shouldn't be any obligations.

Some of the guys seem to be going straight to a gold-digger scenario, but if a man asks a woman out on a formal date (not an expensive date,) by saying that he wants to take her out, and then he whips out a calculator at the end of the evening to tell her what she owes, that's bad form. Like JustJulia always says, he's offering to host the evening and that comes with responsibilities. I don't ask people to come over to my house for dinner and expect them to bring their own food and drink because my invitation was just for the pleasure of my company.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I definitely believe that for an online dating meetup, the couple should each pay their own way. They're basically strangers and there shouldn't be any obligations.

Some of the guys seem to be going straight to a gold-digger scenario, but if a man asks a woman out on a formal date (not an expensive date,) by saying that he wants to take her out, and then he whips out a calculator at the end of the evening to tell her what she owes, that's bad form. Like JustJulia always says, he's offering to host the evening and that comes with responsibilities. I don't ask people to come over to my house for dinner and expect them to bring their own food and drink because my invitation was just for the pleasure of my company.
Really? I make them pay for their share before I let them in the door. And of course, I charge them for the cost of the food AND my labor.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:56 AM

601 posts, read 759,003 times
Then we return to the assumption men ask girls out but not vice versa. Ive never asked a girl out. its something we both typically probe if interested. Bottom line, find a guy who puts up with your expecations. its not the end of the world. But to start throwing the "youre not a real man" card because some guys arent willing to let you have things your way..

thats retarded. grow up. Move on. Plenty of fish out there. To each their own

Old 10-15-2012, 08:58 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Certainly there are no obligations and a lot of online dates are one shot deals anyway. I'd just say that if the guy wants to see her again, it would be in his best interest to pay if he would've done the same if they had met offline. It just sets a better tone, but I do agree that it should be an inexpensive date.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 AM

601 posts, read 759,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Certainly there are no obligations and a lot of online dates are one shot deals anyway. I'd just say that if the guy wants to see her again, it would be in his best interest to pay if he would've done the same if they had met offline. It just sets a better tone, but I do agree that it should be an inexpensive date.
different people different values. not sure why girls get all butt hurt. go find the guy you want. We're obviously not what you need

Old 10-15-2012, 09:10 AM

150 posts, read 305,865 times
Quote:
I totally agree. Plus, if I was going out with someone I didn't know at all - I'd rather do something low pressure. I wouldn't want to have to sit through an entire meal if it was obvious that we weren't going to hit it off! Actually - I think coffee or just a walk in the park or something would be ideal.

^Best thing written on this thread. Its about chemistry and being with someone whose company you enjoy,right? Not about who's getting laid and who's getting a free dinner.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
I always go dutch on a first date. (I'm female.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.