Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:47 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
We don't know if he'll cheat again. People often take each other for granted in marriage. Something like this could be a wake up call.

I feel that way too.

No we don't know if he'll cheat again, the crux of what I'm saying is why should she have to stick around to find that out? She doesn't. "A wake up call" would be telling your partner that things are not going the way you want them to, a serious talk. Not going out and screwing another woman. He has used this other woman for his purpose and has used the wife for another purpose, so who gives a crap how 'very sorry' he is about the whole thing after the fact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
No we don't know if he'll cheat again, the crux of what I'm saying is why should she have to stick around to find that out? She doesn't. "A wake up call" would be telling your partner that things are not going the way you want them to, a serious talk. Not going out and screwing another woman. He has used this other woman for his purpose and has used the wife for another purpose, so who gives a crap how 'very sorry' he is about the whole thing after the fact?
Yeah I'm sure it will be scary for her to stick around and she'll hope for the best. As for him, I think some people don't realize that things are not going great in their marriage. It's a difficult thing to acknowledge, mostly because they know that fixing it would be risky and tough for both of them. It's just easier to deny and bury your head in the sand. Then suddenly they're hit with it in the worst way possible and then they HAVE to fix it and deal with it.

Last edited by srjth; 11-16-2012 at 01:32 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 01:33 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,764 times
Quote:
Her being 60 doesn't mean she's dead nor does it mean she's relegated to stay with a cheater. If I was 85 I would leave a man that cheated on me, period. I don't get that mentality.
People who have been married this long don't think like that. They overlook their partner's faults just out of comfort and fear of being alone.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
People who have been married this long don't think like that. They overlook their partner's faults just out of comfort and fear of being alone.

Well then being married for a long time must mean their ability to see a load of bullsh*t diminishes over the years too.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Yeah I'm sure it will be scary for her to stick around and she'll hope for the best. As for him, I think some people don't realize that things are not going great in their marriage. It's a difficult thing to acknowledge, mostly because they know that fixing it would be risky and tough for both of them. It's just easier to deny and bury your head in the sand. Then suddenly they're hit with it in the worst way possible and then they HAVE to fix it and deal with it.

I agree that people don't recognize that things aren't on the up and up in the marriage, but you know if you're not happy with how things are going. If you have to consider getting into bed with someone else -- that's a clue.... Just b/c this man wasn't getting what he wanted out of the marriage why does that give him free reign to take the problem outside of the relationship thus creating a whole new problem? Then turn around and expect forgiveness. Who operates like that? IMO, the man doesn't give a crap about the wife once he cheats, I don't know how anyone could say he does.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
Right.

Quote:
Well then being married for a long time must mean their ability to see a load of bullsh*t diminishes over the years too.
I'm sure it does but there will be pain for her whether she leaves or stays.

Quote:
I agree that people don't recognize that things aren't on the up and up in the marriage, but you know if you're not happy with how things are going. If you have to consider getting into bed with someone else -- that's a clue.... Just b/c this man wasn't getting what he wanted out of the marriage why does that give him free reign to take the problem outside of the relationship thus creating a whole new problem? Then turn around and expect forgiveness. Who operates like that? IMO, the man doesn't give a crap about the wife once he cheats, I don't know how anyone could say he does.
He definitely wasn't thinking clearly. Once emotions and lust gets involved people stop thinking clearly. I'm not saying this as an excuse for his behavior, it's all tragic to me, but perhaps during the affair, it might have felt sort of like a drug addiction to him. He knew it was bad but couldn't stop. He and the mistress should have never continued working together after they ended the affair 4 months ago. Neither of them were strong enough for that.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:15 PM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,782 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Being married for a long time does mean you overlook a lot of bs...of course, this is the ultimate so I can't speak to how one should react. Some people are able to forgive and move past it. I'm not going to judge her if she chooses to stay with him...love is a very powerful thing. And the longer you're married, the stronger it gets...no matter what awful thing he did.

I have a feeling with her strength, she will power through it. It doesn't have to be a death sentence to their marriage.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:17 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,764 times
Quote:
It does, obviously. Otherwise my parents and most people their age would have divorced in the first month of marriage.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
Women always marry these types of guys and get mad when the exact logical things that will happen happens. Petraeus looks very youthful for his age and is a health nut and can still do one arm pushups according to the New Yorker. His wife shouldn't have let herself go like that, I wouldn't want to give it to only Cindy Crawford year after year, much less an old lady. I had a gf for 2 years who is hot enough to be a movie star but I seriously got tired of giving it to her by the end and would think about less attractive women Id rather sleep with. I remember when Hugh Grant slept with that gross hooker when he was with Elizabeth Hurley, women and guys who didn't get any had no idea why he did this but I understand completely.

Petraeus deserves some blame for being stupid by marrying young, most military guys do that then get a piece on the side. I guess she was a naive young girl when she met him but getting married that young is stupid in the first place. I'm not getting married until at least my mid 50s and has to be a woman younger than 30.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'm not getting married until at least my mid 50s and has to be a woman younger than 30.
Good luck with that. Didn't you just say it's stupid to get married in your 20's? But you want your wife to be stupid enough to do that?

We REALLY need a sarcasm emoticon. I assume (I hope) that's what that line of yours was....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships