Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,661 times

Advertisements

how do we call the money we give to people we are dating? In church i offering, court is fines divorce is alimony

Old 01-18-2014, 07:24 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,110,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclyde View Post
When you first start dating I think it's horrible idea to give woman money to pay their bills or for beauty reasons. She technically hasn't "earned" it and she knows it. So she won't generally appreciate the gesture. That is just my opinion. But let's say you have been dating her for a couple of months and she starts dropping hints of bills being due.

What's the general rule of thumb for giving your girlfriend money?
I haven't read all of the responses.

I am a woman and I say you shouldn't have to give her money. If she has problems with money, give her the number of a credit counseling service. My credit union also offers help with money management. If she can't take care of herself with the income she has, she needs to find another or second job, or she needs to not live beyond her means. This is a huge red flag, IMHO, for you.

Once you start giving her money, she will expect it. She won't have any incentive to try to help herself. And what kind of resentment will that build in YOU, thinking that all you are there for is opening your wallet?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,110,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horebfm View Post
how do we call the money we give to people we are dating? In church i offering, court is fines divorce is alimony
After sex it is prostitution

Old 01-18-2014, 07:34 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,604,625 times
Quote:
Honestly thanks. I was starting to think I was being a cheapskate.
No, not at all. It sounds like she's looking for a sugar daddy more than a boyfriend. Perhaps she's had one in the past and/or is just testing to see if you're willing to be one. Paying the other person's bills isn't any more a part of a normal dating relationship than it is a normal friendship. In other words, it's something you might do to help someone out in a dire situation on rare occasion, but should never be expected.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
If being attractive doesn't entitle a woman to be spoiled, what does??
Nothing. A spoiled entitlement mentality by definition refers to someone believing they are owed something they haven't earned. No one is ever entitled to be spoiled.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I see nothing wrong with taking care of a woman from day one, it's our job.
Uh, no. It's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I like a girl, she's broke, and all my bills are paid, I'm going to take her to get herself fixed up. And the thing is, if I'm paying, I get to chose (to some degree) what I like to see her in to boot so I'm telling her to get her nails painted "candy apple red", or whatever, because that's what color I like to see her in.
It sounds to me like you prefer to date women with significantly less money than you so that you can make payments to maintain some control over them. If you're paying someone to be your girlfriend, she's not a girlfriend; she's a sugar baby or more bluntly a prostitute.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:50 AM

Ugh, I just realized this is a zombie thread. I saw January and apparently forgot that this is no longer 2013. Sorry everybody. I ^&*(#$* hate zombie threads.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 AM

17 posts, read 26,218 times
I don't understand why so many people here have problems with lending a boyfriend/girlfriend money.

I'm not one of them- And I'm female. If my boyfriend needs money to pay a bill or to pay something else (of course not random stuff like 'I need a new Playstation'), I will give it to him because I know him, I trust him and he will pay me back as soon as possible. As a matter of fact, he has never asked me for money but I would lend it to him without a problem. My boyfriend has lend me money a few times back when I had some job issues. Also no big deal, because I paid him back asap. I think in a relationship it is normal to do these things when it's needed.

BUT obviously I would never just pay my boyfriend's bills, nor would I ask him for money to pay mine or get my hair done. That's ridiculous.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:09 AM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
When you first start dating I think it's horrible idea to give woman money to pay their bills or for beauty reasons. She technically hasn't "earned" it and she knows it.
What?

I never took money to pay bills.
And what do you mean by beauty reasons? Are you wanting to pay for implants or something?
And how the heck will she "earn" your money? You make her sound like a hooker!

ETA: SORRY! Zombie thread.....

Old 01-18-2014, 09:29 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,742,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
NEVER

Date a woman who has a job and can care for herself. If you don't then you're a fool and a sucker.
150% agree with this comment. (150% is like taking a 10 gallon trash bag and over stuffing it with 5 more gallons of trash)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships