Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 08:13 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

I would totally ask out a guy if I thought he was worth it.

So would a lot of women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 08:40 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,268,755 times
If I was naturally successful with knowing how to approach and talk to girls in order to initiate/escalate with them in my late teens and early 20's then I probably wouldn't be bitter and resentful over the social norm, status-quo that men have to do the pursuing and asking out

Old 04-01-2014, 11:11 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
If I was naturally successful with knowing how to approach and talk to girls in order to initiate/escalate with them in my late teens and early 20's then I probably wouldn't be bitter and resentful over the social norm, status-quo that men have to do the pursuing and asking out
Speaking as someone who is "successful" (adopt your own definition) with approaching and talking to women, I can tell you that it doesn't magically whisk away the resentment over the societal expectation. In some ways, it makes it worse, because you can feel like you're contributing to it.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Speaking as someone who is "successful" (adopt your own definition) with approaching and talking to women, I can tell you that it doesn't magically whisk away the resentment over the societal expectation. In some ways, it makes it worse, because you can feel like you're contributing to it.
successful as in you are able to get them, actually get them to be your girlfriend and get them to have sex with you and obviously that comes with approaching and talking, conversation is essential and imperative a guys success with attracting women

Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
successful as in you are able to get them, actually get them to be your girlfriend and get them to have sex with you and obviously that comes with approaching and talking, conversation is essential and imperative a guys success with attracting women
I'm not sure what you meant by this post, but I can currently do all of these things, and my last post still applies.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you meant by this post, but I can currently do all of these things, and my last post still applies.
well you asked me what my definition what success with women is, so I answered, but I bet you have always been successful with women or you just started having success at an early age, like in your teens or early twenties

Old 04-01-2014, 03:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I asked my ex-boyfriend out. He was a cute busboy working at the restaurant where I was celebrating my birthday with friends. We dated for almost six years. I dated three guys after him, one whom I asked out, and two I approached because I already knew they were interested. I married the third one.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I asked my ex-boyfriend out. He was a cute busboy working at the restaurant where I was celebrating my birthday with friends. We dated for almost six years. I dated three guys after him, one whom I asked out, and two I approached because I already knew they were interested. I married the third one.
6 years? that's considered successful, very long term, but god bless you woman!!!!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
well you asked me what my definition what success with women is, so I answered, but I bet you have always been successful with women or you just started having success at an early age, like in your teens or early twenties
I didn't really (to either statement). I told you to adopt your own definition of "successful", because it's not necessarily the same as everyone else's. But as I mentioned before, according to your definition, I would be "successful". And I was the OPPOSITE of such in my teens.

You also suggested that if you were more successful yourself, you'd be less bitter about the societal norms and expectations of men in the dating world, and I'm telling you that that's not necessarily the case, either.

I couldn't get a date to save my soul when I was younger. Now that I can, I still strongly resent those norms which you spoke of earlier. Perhaps even more so, because those exact norms are what contribute to my success.

As a guy, I have two options regarding finding a date:

1) Find women I'm interested in, and pursue them
2) Wait for a woman to pursue me

You already know how well option #2 works. So I'm left with option #1. And it works. But by nature of it working, I'm contributing to it REMAINING a norm. Enter the resentment.

Sure, I could take a moral stand about it and say "You know what? I'm sick of the fact that men have to do the pursuing and I'm just gonna stop" in the interest of "change". And in a magical, fairy tale world....other men would do the same and things would actually change eventually.

But I'll tell you what would ACTUALLY happen. Other guys would step in and ask those same women out, and I'd be dateless. And they'd be successful in doing so, because I'd just be leaving women out there, waiting for some other ******* to ask them out.

And so I do it. That doesn't mean I don't resent it, but I'd resent being dateless even more.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I didn't really (to either statement). I told you to adopt your own definition of "successful", because it's not necessarily the same as everyone else's. But as I mentioned before, according to your definition, I would be "successful". And I was the OPPOSITE of such in my teens.

You also suggested that if you were more successful yourself, you'd be less bitter about the societal norms and expectations of men in the dating world, and I'm telling you that that's not necessarily the case, either.

I couldn't get a date to save my soul when I was younger. Now that I can, I still strongly resent those norms which you spoke of earlier. Perhaps even more so, because those exact norms are what contribute to my success.

As a guy, I have two options regarding finding a date:

1) Find women I'm interested in, and pursue them
2) Wait for a woman to pursue me

You already know how well option #2 works. So I'm left with option #1. And it works. But by nature of it working, I'm contributing to it REMAINING a norm. Enter the resentment.

Sure, I could take a moral stand about it and say "You know what? I'm sick of the fact that men have to do the pursuing and I'm just gonna stop" in the interest of "change". And in a magical, fairy tale world....other men would do the same and things would actually change eventually.

But I'll tell you what would ACTUALLY happen. Other guys would step in and ask those same women out, and I'd be dateless. And they'd be successful in doing so, because I'd just be leaving women out there, waiting for some other ******* to ask them out.

And so I do it. That doesn't mean I don't resent it, but I'd resent being dateless even more.
The way I see it, is I do it because I have to, not because I want to, as in I know I have no choice to but to be assertive and take action and approach if I want to get a girlfriend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships