Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,809,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
And I believe you when you say leaving her would not be your intention. I am just saying a lot of women might not believe you. It is just too risky for them to take on faith that you mean what you say.
He could get a cohabitation agreement--it might provide some reassurance and stability. It ends up being a lot like a marriage, but there are some differences. But again, he really should check into his paternal rights and what the advantages and disadvantages are of marriage, co-habitation, paternal rights if not married, etc. He should also check with his employer as well for medical insurance and such for potential children. If the woman he has kids with has to leave work due to a difficult pregnancy, not only will she be uninsured, so will the babies (and if the woman has a difficult pregnancy, there is a good chance there might be health issues with a child as well). Although I suppose he could pay for something though the state now with the new health insurance mandates.

Anyway, again my point is do your research first. Maybe even talk with a family lawyer first. It might cost a few hundred bucks, but could save heart ache in the end.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:50 PM

718 posts, read 600,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Shackleford View Post
Right.......unless you're the man.
Here's one of the men that got burned by divorce

Old 04-21-2014, 12:54 PM

718 posts, read 600,272 times
Quote:
"Find a woman to go along with this.."?!?!?! You do realize that 50% of children are born out of wedlock, do you not?

Sheesh...
Really? I had no idea I must be living my life under a rock. Thanks for pointing that out

Old 04-21-2014, 01:03 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,748,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'm not a big fan of marriage, most men I know have been burned by it and it wrecks of negativity. Not saying all marriages are a bust, but when they do go bust (and a good percentage do) it is emotionally draining.

With that said, I want to have children. Perhaps in the next 2-3 years, up until this point I was running around avoiding LTRs and now I kind of want to get into one, with the right woman for me of course.

Will it be difficult to find a woman that wants to have children without marriage? This does not mean I will just have children with her and then leave her. It means raising a family, living together, being together exclusively and growing old together. Can this be accomplished without a piece of paper?
Quote:
I wouldn't do that to a woman, it's not fair. I wouldn't string her along and eventually get her pregnant all with the idea of never marrying her after I told her I would.

That whole lesbian mother/agreement is just not for me.

Yes, divorce.

I'm not so sure I believe in monogamous relationships, even once married.
So, which do you want, OP?

First you tell us you want a lifelong exclusive commitment (I.e., monogamy). Then you back pedal and say you don't believe in monogamy.

Also, FYI, I know an awful lot of polyamorous folks who are married. It's possible to be married and also ethically non-monogamous.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
Here's an idea...try it. If it is a major priority that you father offspring, and an equally major priotity that you not marry the mother of said progeny, go ahead...hop to it. Give it a whirl. You posed the question in your original post, "Will it be difficult to find a woman who will buy into this arrangement?" You got quite a few answers of, "Yes, probably," and didn't seem to like that. So, hey, go for it...see for yourself if it's a proposition easily accomplished. Because, really, if it's something you want, what other choice have you got? But arguing about whether or not it's FAIR that it might be hard to find a like minded co reproducer for a dozen or more pages is just dumb.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:15 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
So, which do you want, OP?

First you tell us you want a lifelong exclusive commitment (I.e., monogamy). Then you back pedal and say you don't believe in monogamy.

Also, FYI, I know an awful lot of polyamorous folks who are married. It's possible to be married and also ethically non-monogamous.
What if she wants to not be monogamous? No back pedaling there, at that point it wouldn't be monogamy.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
You can have kids without being married. If you're single you'll have to figure out a way ahead of time to handle every single thing that comes up, and if you are in a relationship, you have to count on the fact that your partner may walk out at anytime and therefore once again, repeat step above. It can be done and though it's not always ideal, it works. More people are single or at least unmarried than ever before and it's going to keep being that way. All marriage is anyway is a piece of paper that makes it harder for a partner to walk out.
Quote:
Precisely,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Being married does not make anyone any more stable than being single.
Which is it, marriage makes it tougher to walk out or not? If it's tougher to walk out, that means fewer breakups and therefore more stability.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,678,186 times
Quote:
Wouldn't that be sick to do to children?
It certainly is. But it happens all the time.

Quote:
I have seen it happen before, but women seem to get custody and then teach their
kids that their father is worthless and never wants to see them, while in
reality the father wants to but the ex has some court order on it to where he
can't. This discussion belongs in a different thread though.
Well, I mentioned these things because you were talking about having kids out of wedlock, and I'm giving you an example of why that's not a good idea.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,678,186 times
Quote:
Wow, what another ringing endorsement of marriage.
"If you don't, she'll cut you out of your children's lives."
Yup. I'm a real strong advocate of marriage.

Quote:
And on a related note, what a great commentary on our disgustingly biased
"family" court system.
Yes. I'd rather get into a fight with Bones Jones than go through a divorce.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:41 PM

54 posts, read 42,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
And I believe you when you say leaving her would not be your intention. I am just saying a lot of women might not believe you. It is just too risky for them to take on faith that you mean what you say.
Why should OP take on faith that his hypothetical future SO won't leave HIM once she has the divorce mutually-assured-destruction switch in her control??

Your post is the epitome of the way our culture operates: woman=good, man=bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships