Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 08:32 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,412,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfICould View Post
ONE date makes the difference between relationship material and not?
Totally ridiculous, exactly, IfICould....

Moogsy, not all men are so close minded as you to think because a woman is a sexual being she isn't worth anything else. In fact, ALL of my long term relationships have all started by sleeping together on the first date. THEY chased after ME once I was done with them and then begged me for a commitment. Ironic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:48 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,678,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I did not say that. Loose morals are not "cool" for a man or a woman in my opinion. In a perfect world we would wait until marriage for sex. That is what God wants us to do. Most of us fall short, as I said no one is perfect. However if the standard is two or three dates then something is dramatically wrong with societies moral compass. I may be guilty of being old fashioned, but come on we need some standards.
How about if we all make our own standards, and stop trying to shame people for doing something which is not shameful at all? Morality should be reserved for things which actually matter, such as being kind to others, not wronging others, etc.

I'm not worried about what an imaginary deity might want. What a waste of time.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:53 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,749,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I haven't seen the term hanky panky since The Newlywed Game with Bob Eubanks.
As euphemisms go, quite respectable. At least they didn't try to go raw with the verbiage, like a lyrics to a rap song.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:18 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,682,372 times
^^^^^^ I prefer the world when there was class and manners.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:45 PM

9,500 posts, read 10,876,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
How about if we all make our own standards, and stop trying to shame people for doing something which is not shameful at all? Morality should be reserved for things which actually matter, such as being kind to others, not wronging others, etc.

I'm not worried about what an imaginary deity might want. What a waste of time.

Just 30 years ago very few would question the moral standards regarding pre marital sexual relations. Now everything is up for question, and anything goes. Something else that would not have happened even 20 years ago is the shear number of people who question the existence of God. I really cannot stand the 21rst century or its values. Clearly the millennial generation has embraced a whole new set of values that I just don't get and all I am doing is offending people like you. That is not what I am trying to do and it seems counterproductive so Ill just let it go. Have a nice day.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:50 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,678,561 times
Quote:
Just 30 years ago very few would question the moral standards regarding pre marital sexual relations. Now everything is up for question, and anything goes. Something else that would not have happened even 20 years ago is the shear number of people who question the existence of God. I really cannot stand the 21rst century or its values. Clearly the millennial generation has embraced a whole new set of values that I just don't get and all I am doing is offending people like you. That is not what I am trying to do and it seems counterproductive so Ill just let it go. Have a nice day.
I'm 48, so not a millennial.

You have a nice day, too.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:51 PM

321 posts, read 294,431 times
Quote:

Oh geeze. 30 years ago was 1985. There was no paying attention to "moral standards" regarding pre marital sex. Heck, that was gone in 1975. This has nothing to do with millennials, or gen Y, or even gen X, the hippies blew that out of the water (the little that was left).

Old 03-04-2015, 03:00 PM

9,587 posts, read 5,880,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustelid1971 View Post
Oh geeze. 30 years ago was 1985. There was no paying attention to "moral standards" regarding pre marital sex. Heck, that was gone in 1975. This has nothing to do with millennials, or gen Y, or even gen X, the hippies blew that out of the water (the little that was left).
Very true.

The Boomers introduced "free love" to the mainstream in the 60s, and the rest is history. However, what began as a great and necessary movement in many ways (i.e. more relaxed sexual attitudes and practices, more open discussion about sexuality, etc), has become almost as intolerant of sexual "differences" as the established culture was in the 1950s.

Today, if you're not having sex within 3 or 4 dates, you're seen as sexually "repressed/frigid/prudish/uptight," if not asexual. Not surprisingly, those pejoratives are almost always directed at women who have the audacity to deviate from the widely accepted norm and prefer to get to know a man a little before having sex with him. It's the 1950s all over again, only upside down.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:07 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,221,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Very true.

The Boomers introduced "free love" to the mainstream in the 60s, and the rest is history. However, what began as a great and necessary movement in many ways (i.e. more relaxed sexual attitudes and practices, more open discussion about sexuality, etc), has become almost as intolerant of sexual "differences" as the established culture was in the 1950s.

Today, if you're not having sex within 3 or 4 dates, you're seen as sexually "repressed/frigid/prudish/uptight," if not asexual. Not surprisingly, those pejoratives are almost always directed at women who have the audacity to deviate from the widely accepted norm and prefer to get to know a man a little before having sex with him. It's the 1950s all over again, only upside down.
Agreed here. In addition, if you wanna wait for sex you are also branded as playing games, being manipulative, have daddy/mommy issues, or a believer in fairytales.

Back in older days waiting was respectful. Now, it's considered shameful and immature, and being a virgin past 18 is considered weird, late, frigid, and with essay and studies going around saying that being a virgin up to a certain point causes mental or physical damage. Then, if you're a man that doesn't want a woman that's slept around alot, you'll be called sexist and stuck up and accused of thinking women shouldn't be sexual or should be repressed.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,261,857 times
3. And then I bite. Oh wait… No, that's how many licks for a Tootsie Pop…

I never gave this any thought. It happens when it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships