Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 04:27 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
What I'm trying to do is to cut a potentially detrimental relationship off BEFORE I catch feelings and fall in love with someone who I ain't compatible with.
I understand that - and I get the whole not wanting children thing. But just make sure that you are just looking for reasons to avoid dating/love/relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 04:35 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
But by approaching things with such a clinical outlook, without using emotion, you also could be overlooking some amazing people.
Just because a person is amazing doesn't mean you have to date them. I've met plenty of amazing women over the last week but I didn't want to date them.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:55 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
What I'm trying to do is to cut a potentially detrimental relationship off BEFORE I catch feelings and fall in love with someone who I ain't compatible with.
I call this "Thinking with the big head" and consider it a good thing. If people abuse you for this, consider the source of the comment, and blow it off!

Some people like Diss and I have what I call "single-point deal breakers" - child-free is one we happen to share. Some posters here apparently don't have these, and are apparently willing to "give it a try" with someone who is appealing enough, even though they will probably have an incompatibility down the road that can't be overcome.

Live Long and Prosper, Diss!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:01 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Just because a person is amazing doesn't mean you have to date them. I've met plenty of amazing women over the last week but I didn't want to date them.
Speaking of logic, that's quite a logical leap you made. Where did I say you HAVE to date someone who you think is amazing?

Old 11-05-2015, 05:02 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I call this "Thinking with the big head" and consider it a good thing. If people abuse you for this, consider the source of the comment, and blow it off!

Some people like Diss and I have what I call "single-point deal breakers" - child-free is one we happen to share. Some posters here apparently don't have these, and are apparently willing to "give it a try" with someone who is appealing enough, even though they will probably have an incompatibility down the road that can't be overcome.

Live Long and Prosper, Diss!
Yes but you have dated, correct?

Old 11-05-2015, 05:20 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Just you wait, Diss...when you meet that special someone....your logic will be lost somewhere between your heart and knees, Lol

I'm sure, most everyone here that's been in a relationship has done some really stupid things, if not down right asinine (I know I have)

Old 11-05-2015, 05:32 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
I got screamed at yesterday for stating I would consider it a major lack of logic for someone who has a stance to get involved with someone who had a staunchly different take of the stance. The stance was having children, not exactly a what's for dinner question that can be negotiated? Sorry, not sorry, I would definitely say getting involved with someone who might want children when you DEFINITELY don't want children shows a lack of critical thinking and logic. People tried to come at me with you'll logic yourself to the singles ward of the nursing home, call me when you selected a partner on logic,etc.

My point is logic should not be cast aside when choosing who to date and more importantly who NOT to date. If you as a childfree person want to get involved with someone who wants kids? Fine, but you have no right to complain when you get dumped or are forced to make a tough decision of whether to have kids to keep them or not when you could have avoided that noise by not getting involved with someone who had a different take than you on such a crucial issue.

Alright CD, commence on telling me I'm nothing because I've never been in a substantial romantic relationship. Ain't nothing I've never heard before.
This isn't even about logic, it's about fundamentals. Being on the same page kids/no kids-wise, and also money management-wise are essential to a successful long-term relationship/marriage/partnership. Anyone who would scream at you for that is really out of touch, and asking for a failed relationship.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Just you wait, Diss...when you meet that special someone....your logic will be lost somewhere between your heart and knees, Lol
True. Many of us are waiting for that day to arrive in the OP's life. But he's right that in order for things to work out long term, both people need to be on the same page on this issue. That's just basic.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:40 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
True. Many of us are waiting for that day to arrive in the OP's life. But he's right that in order for things to work out long term, both people need to be on the same page on this issue. That's just basic.
Yes - but if you are so convinced that almost every woman wants children that you pretty much swear off dating altogether - that's not necessarily a healthy thing.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Yes - but if you are so convinced that almost every woman wants children that you pretty much swear off dating altogether - that's not necessarily a healthy thing.
True. I didn't read the whole thread. If that's where the OP is coming from, he needs to relax. I wonder if the OP is making any progress dealing with his dad issues. He was getting some kind of counseling for awhile....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships