Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 06:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Advertisements

In minutes, the Nashville Predators will play for their first-ever Stanley Cup, and everyone here is FREAKING OUT LOL. I am SOOOO nervous.

This is a fun article about the unlikely popularity of a hockey team in a Southern capital city:

https://theringer.com/2017-nhl-playo...s-7916800c7426
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 06:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
On my way to put flags out Friday, an SUV lost one of the kayaks from the roof in front of me. I was at least smart enough to "expect the unexpected" as they say, and avoided a real mess.

But damnit, I missed the service yesterday. I ended up going back today & ran in MG's riding buddy/best friend, so it turned out good at any rate.

I spent the rest of the weekend doggy-sitting a big ferocious rotty. (He only gets up for treats. He is not interested in ANYthing else.)

Awww, I LOVE rottweilers!!! 😍

Old 05-29-2017, 10:53 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Rottweiler's are big solid beefy dogs that I wouldn't want any part of if I were on the wrong side of one of those bad boys. Big strong beasts those dogs are. Beautiful animals, but man, they're scary at times too.

Anyone else struggle with using certain words, for example when a 3 dollar word would really fit the bill I often find myself using plainer language to communicate my ideas, not that I'm that smart, but sometimes I think it's easier to use more plain language so that people don't have to stop and look up what those nice three dollar words mean. Some posters use language that is unnecessarily flowery or heady and I get it but then I think to myself that in order to get our points across that maybe we should dumb things down a bit, just for simplicity sake, and again, not spending time looking up words.

I'm not the brightest guy in the room but I'm not the dumbest and sometimes when I see posts that are long and windy with a lot of esoteric terms (good one, btw) I find it somewhat annoying to have to spend time looking up things. I do like to learn new words and all, but sometimes things should just be light and "fun" and things don't always need to be an ah ha moment or a learning thing.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:07 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Rottweiler's are big solid beefy dogs that I wouldn't want any part of if I were on the wrong side of one of those bad boys. Big strong beasts those dogs are. Beautiful animals, but man, they're scary at times too.

Anyone else struggle with using certain words, for example when a 3 dollar word would really fit the bill I often find myself using plainer language to communicate my ideas, not that I'm that smart, but sometimes I think it's easier to use more plain language so that people don't have to stop and look up what those nice three dollar words mean. Some posters use language that is unnecessarily flowery or heady and I get it but then I think to myself that in order to get our points across that maybe we should dumb things down a bit, just for simplicity sake, and again, not spending time looking up words.

I'm not the brightest guy in the room but I'm not the dumbest and sometimes when I see posts that are long and windy with a lot of esoteric terms (good one, btw) I find it somewhat annoying to have to spend time looking up things. I do like to learn new words and all, but sometimes things should just be light and "fun" and things don't always need to be an ah ha moment or a learning thing.
There used to be a regular poster on CD-R and every other word he used was an SAT word. That, paired with his prolixity, made his posts the ones I'd just skip reading altogether.

Prolixity - using way more words to say something than are actually necessary.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
There used to be a regular poster on CD-R and every other word he used was an SAT word. That, paired with his prolixity, made his posts the ones I'd just skip reading altogether.

Prolixity - using way more words to say something than are actually necessary.
Yes. I agree, that is far more annoying to me than SAT words as you've called them. I read some people's post and I think, jeezus, you could have literally said the same thing with 30 to 40 percent less words.

I get that sometimes a concept or idea needs a certain level of setup to get to where you're understanding them but more often than not it's just posters who feel the need to bloviate far more than is really required to reach an exchange of ideas.

I have this weird almost to the point of being a phobia where I worry about boring people when I tell stories. We've all been subjected to the long winded person that drones on and on when telling you something.... well, I don't wanna be that guy.

Part of what I was talking about is that sometimes the big words can encapsulate an idea better but I don't wanna use the heady terms unnecessarily. I guess the two ideas sorta fight each other, plain simple language with more words or use bigger words and at times possibly be less windy????

Old 05-29-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Yes. I agree, that is far more annoying to me than SAT words as you've called them. I read some people's post and I think, jeezus, you could have literally said the same thing with 30 to 40 percent less words.

I get that sometimes a concept or idea needs a certain level of setup to get to where you're understanding them but more often than not it's just posters who feel the need to bloviate far more than is really required to reach an exchange of ideas.

I have this weird almost to the point of being a phobia where I worry about boring people when I tell stories. We've all been subjected to the long winded person that drones on and on when telling you something.... well, I don't wanna be that guy.

Part of what I was talking about is that sometimes the big words can encapsulate an idea better but I don't wanna use the heady terms unnecessarily. I guess the two ideas sorta fight each other, plain simple language with more words or use bigger words and at times possibly be less windy????
Two words for you - succinct, and concise. Follow these and you can't go wrong.

Self-editing is an art form - I haven't mastered it but I'm always trying to improve my form.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Two words for you - succinct, and concise. Follow these and you can't go wrong.

Self-editing is an art form - I haven't mastered it but I'm always trying to improve my form.
Yep. I sometimes read my posts and they aren't laid out as well as they could be and for the most part it's just laziness. I'm actually half way decent when I really spend the time to edit my posts. I am a little lazy at times and it does show.

I'm working on it too, but as I said it's mostly just my laziness and my need to just punch out an idea quickly and sometimes it is a littler looser than it should be.

IDK. I really don't like boring people so that is an influence as well. I sometimes look at new first time posters and you open up a thread and it's just a big massive wall of words without paragraphing and I just don't even bother to read it.

if you're going to do that to the reader than the heck with you, I ain't partaking.......

Old 05-30-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Yep. I sometimes read my posts and they aren't laid out as well as they could be and for the most part it's just laziness. I'm actually half way decent when I really spend the time to edit my posts. I am a little lazy at times and it does show.

I'm working on it too, but as I said it's mostly just my laziness and my need to just punch out an idea quickly and sometimes it is a littler looser than it should be.

IDK. I really don't like boring people so that is an influence as well. I sometimes look at new first time posters and you open up a thread and it's just a big massive wall of words without paragraphing and I just don't even bother to read it.

if you're going to do that to the reader than the heck with you, I ain't partaking.......
I skip over wall of text posts, especially from one hit wonders. Especially charming is when they begin, 'to cut a long story short...' and then they go on to write every single thing that ever happened between them and their partner: each shoulder shrug, every smirk and eye roll, some even copy every word from a chain of their text message exchange (which usually is completely banal). These people are entirely oblivious to the world around them, they actually believe they are the lead role in the melodrama that is their life, and everyone around them (or online) is a member of their loyal fan club and can't wait to hear every trite facet of their dull and meaningless lives. Poor things.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:01 AM

Sriracha sauce is the best....

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ce&FORM=HDRSC2

Put that stuff on just about anything. I'd eat a rubber tire with some of that sauce drizzled on it.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Sriracha sauce is the best....

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ce&FORM=HDRSC2

Put that stuff on just about anything. I'd eat a rubber tire with some of that sauce drizzled on it.
Mix it with Kewpie mayo, and you have the base for spicy anything in sushi - add chopped raw scallops, and you have a spicy scallop filling/topping. Mix it with chopped surimi, you have the base for a spicy California roll. Versatile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships