Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 12:47 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,112,957 times

Advertisements

What is with the bars on the window? Is the Dallas area that dangerous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 12:50 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,814,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I grew up in the area, and you tend to see it more in Hispanic communities. Even very safe ones. It might be a cultural thing.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:59 PM

102,310 posts, read 108,476,230 times
I still don't understand the bit about defining normal, healthy vision as undesirable and dysfunctional, while valuing impaired vision that works best at night and in low-light conditions.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:04 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,814,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I still don't understand the bit about defining normal, healthy vision as undesirable and dysfunctional, while valuing impaired vision that works best at night and in low-light conditions.
There are many issues here that have nothing to do with income, as I believe has been gently pointed out throughout the thread.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:55 PM

29,783 posts, read 34,559,377 times
Quote:
How would it make your vision worse? You just said it's possible to have it corrected. It sounds like you've normalized living in the dark, and are defining normal, healthy vision that allows people to live normal lives as dysfunctional.
I had mild photophobia while my doctor was trying to figure out a contacts/allergy/dry eye situation, and she said that it's usually always treatable. It's a symptom of various conditions, and once you treat those conditions it goes away.

And while I know people have been giving the OP crap about his house, just the outside gives me pause. It's not a very welcoming sight. Maybe I read/watch way too much true crime, but I can just imagine pulling up outside and thinking, "oh, this is a trick. This is the part where I get mugged."

Old 10-08-2017, 02:58 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,112,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I grew up in the area, and you tend to see it more in Hispanic communities. Even very safe ones. It might be a cultural thing.

Interesting. Thanks. Would freak me out some. Only time I lived in a place with them was a first floor Chicago apartment and disliked them immensely.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:28 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,124,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
my mother lives in a rather nice middle class neighborhood and she has burglar bars also, and an alarm service, and so do many of her neighbors but like most of her neighbors her and my dad(passed away) did not grow up in such a neighborhood first generation into the middle class, most of the older blacks retired from military/post office/government contractor and UAW jobs who moved into that area in the late 70's and early 80's .

And also security systems, and burglar bars can't stop someone who really wants in but what they will do is make the average burglar pick the next house that does not have bars as most of them want to get in and out ASAP.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:35 PM

52,406 posts, read 52,925,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I've been scouting out areas to live in the ABQ area online and I've noticed more bars on windows than I'm comfortable with. Even so called nice areas there a lot of homes that have bars on the windows. I was informed by people in the ABQ forum is that due to the fact that a lot of people have evap coolers instead of or in addition to AC that when you run them they require that windows be left open to operate properly.

I don't know if that is true or not, took it on face value. Here in So Cal you only see bars on windows in what are clearly known as crappy areas. Compton, Inglewood, south central LA, those places that most people know are bad areas.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:01 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,124,230 times
Quote:
Because I don't view my vision as impaired if anything I view yours as impaired because you can't see things that I can see easily. (that's not meant as an insult just an observation) I can put on 2 dollar shades to see like you, you would need expensive light amp goggles to see like me, and only at short distance.

And no I don't see in nightvision like on specops games, its more like if you turn the light and contrast up on your TV. in complete darkness I'm just as blind as you but ad just a little light I see fine where other people are pumping into chit.

If you have ever had your eyed dilated that's close to how I see but without the blurriness.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:00 PM

102,310 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Because I don't view my vision as impaired if anything I view yours as impaired because you can't see things that I can see easily. (that's not meant as an insult just an observation) I can put on 2 dollar shades to see like you, you would need expensive light amp goggles to see like me, and only at short distance.

And no I don't see in nightvision like on specops games, its more like if you turn the light and contrast up on your TV. in complete darkness I'm just as blind as you but ad just a little light I see fine where other people are pumping into chit.

If you have ever had your eyed dilated that's close to how I see but without the blurriness.
This is exactly what I mean. This odd view. It's not normal to think this way. But if you're willing to accept the consequences of your choices, and explain to potential love interests that you prefer to not to treat your vision issue, and prefer to live in somewhat cave-like conditions, and live somewhat as a night owl, and that you're looking for a woman who's ok with that, well---good luck to you. That's your choice. But don't come to us telling us that your challenge in the dating realm relates to difficulties finding women who are ok with a low-key guy who doesn't have a lot of money to spend. That is not remotely you main issue, no matter how you choose to dress it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships