Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 01:44 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
That might work. Chanukah is coming up next month, after all. If nothing else, you'll get to eat some latkes with sour cream and paprika; good stuff. As for me, my Meetups were way better than any of my Jewish groups. Insularity was nonexistent there. I made several good friends in my Meetup groups. A handful of groups turned out to be duds as well. Unfortunately, Meetup didn't start going mainstream until 2011. Perhaps you can give it a shot, and see how it turns out.

True, true. I don't begrudge people who are traditional-minded when it comes to relationships. I just have a beef with the imbalance of power that's in most of today's committed relationships, along with having to negotiate for it all the time. And perhaps that anti-LTR post was excessive; where's the "eating crow" emoticon? Even so, I prefer to abstain.
I'm agreeing with you in some aspects.

I see it, myself. If anything, it is the traditional minded (men) that seem to be suffering the most in this current system (women are hurt in a different way).

I myself am...that, but not out of bitterness towards women, but more because I'm interested in what I can do by myself before some poor lady snatches me up.

I'm of the camp of "enjoying what you have" when you are single. My experience tells me that I should be pursuing something (other than a woman). Women love a man on a mission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 02:20 PM

651 posts, read 408,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I got ghosted by 3 girls in October. I was DONE with pursuing women at that time when on Halloween the girl who is my girlfriend and I have a convo on how busted dating is today and here we are. No sooner that I decided to stop looking, an awesome match came along.
This is awesome, but.. arent you a little too soon with girlfriend designation. Kinda reminded me that recent Curb Your Enthusiasm episode

But it is great you guys are going out and that the future is looking good.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:27 PM

651 posts, read 408,135 times
Have I given up on love? Pretty much. I never had a relationship with anyone without having to lower the standards. But that never got me anywhere obviously. As of right now, I have no expectations. I will try to live a good social life and be good to myself. If I ever get to know someone worthwhile I will marry them. But it certainly will not happen on Cupid, POF and etc.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:35 PM

442 posts, read 1,078,322 times
I haven't bothered in many years. It doesn't bother me at all never being married.

I simply never put men in the center of my life unlike most women. I never wanted children, either. That was out. I had no intention of living like my mother and sisters did. I never wanted to be a domestic servant.

I was done by my mid-thirties. I focused on other areas of my life, such as education, work, and my many hobbies.

You don't need a relationship to be happy.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:57 PM

639 posts, read 376,762 times
True love is sacrifice, giving, and focusing on pleasing the other person with no expectations of return favors.

I don't think it exists much in our day and age. The age of Meism.

I wouldn't say "given up". Not waiting around for it.

Used to believe in the concept of a "soul mate". That concept is lost though. Just look at the divorce rate. People getting married two or three times routinely now.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:10 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,585,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Very few people have Asperger's I think it's one of those things that people diagnose themselves with as an excuse for all of their problems in life or something.

and yeah doctors are way too gung ho about diagnosing people with the condition, so they can start pumping them full of pills.

Being scared to ask a girl out has nothing to do with Asperger's that's just you being a big wuss.
Aspergers doesn't prevent anyone from asking a girl out, it prevents them from reading body language and subtle signals correctly.

So when your date does something obviously flirty, you have no idea, and when you want to signal "I like you", your body language says "death to infidels" or something...
Also difficulties knowing when is your turn to speak, leading to more awkward silences and accidental interruptions in the conversation...

It's basically like everyone else speaks Chinese in body langue or something, and you only know English.

There is also the problem about getting stuck on details, which might be a lesser problem in terms of dating but may become noticeable after a while...

Old 11-22-2017, 08:33 PM

104 posts, read 96,797 times
I gave up about 10 years ago. I'm physically unattractive, unable to do anything about it, and I have found that men are very hung up on looks. They won't even consider a woman who isn't pretty. "There has to be physical attraction!" they cry, but they expect women to love their flawed selves just the way they are. I'm done with trying to please men.

I live a life where I do what I want, when I want, and no one is holding me back. Sure it would be nice sometimes to be held and kissed, but it's not worth the misery of a relationship for me, and I'm not a one-night-stand kind of person.

I became a lot happier once I stopped caring what other people think of me and started focusing on doing things I find rewarding and meaningful. Art, creative writing and such. If, against all odds, some interested person came along, they would have to be pretty damn special to make me want to let them into my life.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:36 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
I lost my best friend/fiance one year ago (she died of kidney failure). For an entire year, I felt lost and I didn't date at all or ask any woman out. Then I met my current girlfriend who's absolutely adorable.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:15 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senmurv View Post
I gave up about 10 years ago. I'm physically unattractive, unable to do anything about it, and I have found that men are very hung up on looks. They won't even consider a woman who isn't pretty. "There has to be physical attraction!" they cry, but they expect women to love their flawed selves just the way they are. I'm done with trying to please men.

I live a life where I do what I want, when I want, and no one is holding me back. Sure it would be nice sometimes to be held and kissed, but it's not worth the misery of a relationship for me, and I'm not a one-night-stand kind of person.

I became a lot happier once I stopped caring what other people think of me and started focusing on doing things I find rewarding and meaningful. Art, creative writing and such. If, against all odds, some interested person came along, they would have to be pretty damn special to make me want to let them into my life.
I feel for you. I am very happy you found something rewarding. And I guarantee you there is at least something attractive about you. If nothing else, you are engaging in activities you enjoy.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:47 PM

104 posts, read 96,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I feel for you. I am very happy you found something rewarding. And I guarantee you there is at least something attractive about you. If nothing else, you are engaging in activities you enjoy.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships