Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 01:31 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,070,158 times

Advertisements

No more personal politics, please. You can post that you would not date someone whose politics aren't in line with yours, but this is not the forum to be specific about which political camp you identify with.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:36 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Experiences are much better to spend $$ on than things, IMO.

Travel is always worth it, IMO.

10 years from now, what will you cherish more, the memories you made traveling or a pair of shoes, video game, computer... some material item you bought.

it's also a very common misconception that it's expensive to travel. It isn't.
I would say...it can be.

I've done trips that were really quite costly, I have to admit.

But over all of my years, I've seen material things come and go, lose their usefulness, I've had life catastrophes that deprived me of much of what I owned, I've given away heaps of stuff to charity, and at times I've felt burdened by what possessions I've got. I've moved many times, and that's when I slim down my haul and yet there is still so, so much...sometimes feels like too much...

Even the useful things are frustrating when they're not working properly.

But the events I've done that have given me photos and lasting memories, those I treasure. I love being able to look at pictures and videos of certain events and times and think, "Yeah. I was there." And there is this awesome feeling of liberation and independence that you can get from traveling alone, making friends along the way here and there, perhaps. Meeting up with good people you rarely see at a destination.

I love my home, both the overall geographical location, and my own dwelling. Truly, I do. But I also really love to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 02:30 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I would say...it can be.

I've done trips that were really quite costly, I have to admit.

But over all of my years, I've seen material things come and go, lose their usefulness, I've had life catastrophes that deprived me of much of what I owned, I've given away heaps of stuff to charity, and at times I've felt burdened by what possessions I've got. I've moved many times, and that's when I slim down my haul and yet there is still so, so much...sometimes feels like too much...

Even the useful things are frustrating when they're not working properly.

But the events I've done that have given me photos and lasting memories, those I treasure. I love being able to look at pictures and videos of certain events and times and think, "Yeah. I was there." And there is this awesome feeling of liberation and independence that you can get from traveling alone, making friends along the way here and there, perhaps. Meeting up with good people you rarely see at a destination.

I love my home, both the overall geographical location, and my own dwelling. Truly, I do. But I also really love to travel.
This sent shivers down my spine. Yes, this is exactly right.

Material items get misplaced, break, become unusable... you will always have your memories and experiences (well unless you get like dementia or something but you know what I mean)

Not everyone likes to travel, and hey that's cool... but to me memories and experience mean so much more.

Trips don't have to be costly. There ARE ways to do trips on the cheap.

I think this poster would have a great time with a woman on a trip if he opened his mind to it.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:58 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,578 times
Quote:
Experiences are much better to spend $$ on than things, IMO.

Travel is always worth it, IMO.

10 years from now, what will you cherish more, the memories you made traveling or a pair of shoes, video game, computer... some material item you bought.

it's also a very common misconception that it's expensive to travel. It isn't.
I agree with everything you said. Material things mean nothing to me, it’s all about experiences. I can honestly say I have never regretted any trip I have taken in my life. Can’t say the same about some items I have bought.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:12 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
There's a few for me in no particular order:

1. Still in college (mind you I constantly found women still in school in their late 20s to mid 30s)
2. No job
3. No career
4. Kids
5. Obviously too into the bar scene (every other picture is in a bar)

Old 03-17-2018, 06:30 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Somebody who is older and still has not managed to climb up the ladder or doesn't want to shows lack of ambition and lack of motivation.
Both are not very attractive to the other gender. Not many are ok with dating someone who is always broke with no outlook to do better.
Speak for yourself. Getting off the corporate money ride can be VERY attractive. They may not be attractive to YOU, but you can't speak for the rest of us.

Quote:
They cannot go on vacation with you. They can't go to (nice) restaurants. They always complain because of the bills they have to pay and hardly make it. They will not be able to support you OR THEMSELVES if you or they get sick and out of work, they most likely will never be able to afford a (nice) place, they will have to work until they die while you retire, and they will not ever be able to start a family. They will always drive a crappy car that causes issues or no car at all. So in the end, you always end up paying for them if you don't want to be stuck with them at the bottom because they failed to succeed in life. Not attractive to most people.
LOL. Or you one can share their lifestyle goals. That is what profiles are for. To see if you are compatible.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:51 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
So...you have tried OLD?
No, I think online dating is stupid.

Never will try it.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:36 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,645,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Meaning say you come across a dating profile that draws you in, they seem to have many things in common with you, same likes, interests, political views, taste in music/movies, similar hobbies etc etc..

There photos seem up to date and you find them attractive etc etc
Every thing seems perfect until you run across one thing that ruins it in your eyes,
something mentioned in their about me: (usually mentioned somewhere towards the end).

Or something in their stats that is a deal breaker for you.

Or something in the settings of some or most of their photos gives you pause.

A few examples for me are:

1. if I see in there stats they are looking for "just friends" or "casual dating/just dating nothing serious/no commitment( different sites/apps word it differently)"

2. if I see in their stats they have a job/career that traditionally does not allow much time for a relationship, typically jobs that keep them away a lot where they either have to do a lot of traveling or just plain long hours. I prefer women who clock out after 8 hours so we can hang out more.

3. If I see in their stats they have young children at home.

4. If every other photo in their profile is them in a bar getting toasted(not the girl you take home to mom).

5. If every other photo is of here in front of a different exotic landmark(and the timestamps span only a few years most recent being a few months ago), I'm thinking this girl will have me broke or sitting home alone most of the time. (I've traveled a lot also but my timestamps would average 5 - 10 years apart as an adult. and since I was a military brat growing up most would be childhood photos lol).
As a Catholic guy, I learned the hard way that most Catholic women prefer Non-Catholics by far. So, even though I am Catholic, I actually go out-of-my-way to avoid Catholic women due to general pattern of dating outside the religion for them (e.g. Selena Gomez - has she ever had a Catholic boyfriend? Not recently).

My only successful dating was with blonde southern belles from the "Deep South" Bible Belt of Protestants. Go figure. The unorthodox angle works. I still remember the look of surprise when people saw us as a couple - the Brown Catholic from AZ and his southern white Protestant girlfriend in the Deep South eating at Chick-fil-A with Paramore music playing in the background. I would have never guessed it would come to that.

To be fair, there are Catholic women who actually date Catholic guys, but they are far and few in between. Trying to date one is like saying "so you're telling me there's a chance" - LOL. It's best just to get out of Dodge fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s

Old 03-24-2018, 02:40 AM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Auto skip criteria:
Kids
-Bragging about having a car and a job
-Putting a height requirement for men
-Putting future (insert nursing job or other decent paying job here)
-Saying a man needs to make her laugh
-“I’m not on here much, follow my Instagram”
-Too many tattoos
-women who say they don’t message first
-women who whine about men not messaging them first and say they’ll unmatch you
-Any talk of Jesus or religion
-Any stuck up or cocky attitude about being hot
-No pictures of the body, just the face (fat people love this strategy)
-A profile with pictures of other women who all happen to be hotter than the one in the profile
-Only 1 picture
-still in school (they likely dropped out)

In reality it doesn’t matter, because the vast majority will skip you. Or reply once and never respond again. So you really have no choice than to just swipe right on everyone and see what happens.

Quote:
I'm engaged so I'm not on dating sites but I think people who travel are some of the best people. They are very worldly. They have great stories to tell and great photos and have some amazing experiences.
Not necessarily. These people are generally only in your area for a short time and have a stuck up attitude from all their travels. They expect you to be a free tour guide for them when they land in your city. And they’re usually not interested in you since they’ve been to numerous countries and can date anyone and won’t be in your city again for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I .[*] People who freely admit that they are in it only for the money, etc. At least they are honest.
Hookers? Who is getting paid to be on tinder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I look for reasons to connect, not to not connect, with people.
Makes no difference, the reasons to not connect will only become more annoying and apparent the further on the relationship goes. Unless you are willing to compromise but everyone has certain standards they are not willing to compromise (smoking, religion, obesity, unemployed, etc)

Last edited by Rocko20; 03-24-2018 at 03:01 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 07:17 AM

639 posts, read 376,654 times
1) coming off with an attitude

2) doesn't take care of themselves

Eliminates 95% of them available on OLD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships