Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 08:29 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
My point being even if she did not expect me to pay for stuff if someone likes to travel that is not going to change just because she met me, so either I would be spending alot of time alone or I would have to travel with her, and no woman is gonna want to pay her boyfriends way so I would be going broke trying to keep up.

And I have trouble spending large sums of money on things I have nothing to show for after the money is spent.
For some reason, this made me think of the Total Recall movies, where the main character spent money just for the memories of experiences, without actually experiencing anything. So, not only did they not have anything to show for after spending their money, they didn't even get to have the experience, itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 08:42 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Snapchat filters. I hate Snapchat with a passion. IMO, it's hard to tell what the person even looks like.

Anything with "just ask" or "just looking for friends."

Pregnant or children under 5. Older children can be fun and reasoned with. I'd never date someone with a baby.

Not having a job without a good reason. I probably wouldn't date someone who has remained in really low end jobs in their mid 20s or older.

Intelligence. Usually that correlates with formal education, but not always.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
1. I prefer to date within my race.

2. I drink heavily.

3. ANY answer that demonstrates a serious conservative leaning, like BC is wrong...

Old 03-15-2018, 12:38 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post

FIRST DATE
Never been on one

But, you have two kids tho?

Oh, ladies, if you're using "a friend" to write your profiles and this is the result, pick better...because I'm not forcing myself to be around this!
If such a description is already a dealbreaker for you, you won't have much to choose from.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:57 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Nothing to show for it? Ok, so, you don't value experiences? This makes sense for a dating criteria with a person. I, personally, don't care about stuff much at all. I care about having experiences. That is what I want to spend money on. Putting it into things does nothing for me. It's just stuff. I would want to date someone that values that as well.
I value experiences also, if I'm going to spend large amounts of money I want years of experiences out of the money spent. spent a lot on my bikes they will last for years I have fun riding them every other night.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:11 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Not having a job without a good reason. I probably wouldn't date someone who has remained in really low end jobs in their mid 20s or older.
What if it was because they enjoyed their job and lived a frugal lifestyle?

Old 03-15-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Somebody who is older and still has not managed to climb up the ladder or doesn't want to shows lack of ambition and lack of motivation.
Both are not very attractive to the other gender. Not many are ok with dating someone who is always broke with no outlook to do better.

They cannot go on vacation with you. They can't go to (nice) restaurants. They always complain because of the bills they have to pay and hardly make it. They will not be able to support you OR THEMSELVES if you or they get sick and out of work, they most likely will never be able to afford a (nice) place, they will have to work until they die while you retire, and they will not ever be able to start a family. They will always drive a crappy car that causes issues or no car at all. So in the end, you always end up paying for them if you don't want to be stuck with them at the bottom because they failed to succeed in life. Not attractive to most people.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:32 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Somebody who is older and still has not managed to climb up the ladder or doesn't want to shows lack of ambition and lack of motivation.
Both are not very attractive to the other gender. Not many are ok with dating someone who is always broke with no outlook to do better.

They cannot go on vacation with you. They can't go to nice restaurants. They always complain because of the bills they have to pay. They will not be able to support you OR THEMSELVES if you or they get sick and out of work, they most likely will never be able to afford a (nice) place, they will have to work until they die while you retire, and they will not ever be able to start a family. They will always drive a crappy car that causes issues or no car at all. So in the end, you always end up paying for them if you don't want to be stuck with them at the bottom because they failed to succeed in life. Not attractive to most people.
Hmmmm....not all people who are less than ambitious, fit this description.

I agree that a person should be comfortably meeting ends and supporting themselves at the same lifestyle level that a compatible partner is content living at, though, and I also think that their priorities such as whether they value travel and "experiences" more, or material possessions more, or just don't want to spend and prefer to save up, or what...should be aligned.

A very frugal person and a frivolous spender won't be very happy together.

I've known people who sat comfortably in a barely-above-minimum wage "worker bee" role, and did not WANT to be part of management, and stuck with a company a very long time, and ended up making acceptable money, if not a fortune...and to me, that's fine. They were supporting themselves well enough before I came along, they don't look like they're going to become a burden to me, and they are stable, not job-hoppers. People who have somewhat frequent periods of unemployment, especially if they don't have savings, and/or they have debt...they worry me more than the guy who worked the same boring worker-bee job for 15 years.

Now if a dude was like, "Well I've been working at Burger King for the last 3 months, finally getting caught up on my overdue power bill" yeah, I'm out. No more need be said.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:33 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
I'm not talking staff level employees. I'm talking Walmart greeters, cashiers, that sort of thing.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Hmmmm....not all people who are less than ambitious, fit this description.

I agree that a person should be comfortably meeting ends and supporting themselves at the same lifestyle level that a compatible partner is content living at, though, and I also think that their priorities such as whether they value travel and "experiences" more, or material possessions more, or just don't want to spend and prefer to save up, or what...should be aligned.

A very frugal person and a frivolous spender won't be very happy together.

I've known people who sat comfortably in a barely-above-minimum wage "worker bee" role, and did not WANT to be part of management, and stuck with a company a very long time, and ended up making acceptable money, if not a fortune...and to me, that's fine. They were supporting themselves well enough before I came along, they don't look like they're going to become a burden to me, and they are stable, not job-hoppers. People who have somewhat frequent periods of unemployment, especially if they don't have savings, and/or they have debt...they worry me more than the guy who worked the same boring worker-bee job for 15 years.

Now if a dude was like, "Well I've been working at Burger King for the last 3 months, finally getting caught up on my overdue power bill" yeah, I'm out. No more need be said.
I think we misunderstand each other but mean the same

Well, this is the experience I personally made in the past:

Not meeting up because he had no money for gas. Not texting because he couldn't afford a better phone plan. Not being able to meet for dinner because the paycheck was late. Having to get picked up because no money for car repair.

I am not talking about expensive restaurants and expensive trips and material posessions or mangement jobs. I am pretty frugal myself and hardly go to restaurants.

I am talking about people with minimum wage jobs well into their 30s like walmart greeting jobs (like someone else already mentioned), etc. who don't put any effort in to do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships