Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 08:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
If I’m to take him at his word, or even put myself in OP’s position I simply tell him to stop the car and I 1) order another car and 2) report him to his employer. That’s how adults respond to these things.
Absolutely.

Adults don't get pulled into 7th-grade locker room conversations with mouthy ride share drivers. Real men recognize when situations are inappropriate and deal with them like adults. Driver was WAY out of line and should have been reported.

Of course, recognizing when a situation is wrong for him isn't the OP's strong suit.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:38 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
IMO, you'd come across as uptight and insecure. Not a good look.
Disagree.

There's nothing uptight or insecure about his response. If someone is disrespecting you/someone you care about or "talking trash" as you put it, a person doesn't have to sit there and take it. Or waste time arguing or getting into a pissing contest. That's stupid. And for some leaving the situation is the best way to diffuse it and keep it from escalating. Also reporting someone to their superior is also a more mature way to handle it. This is one of those situations where you have to pick your battles wisely. Some things are just not worth wasting energy on.

But we can agree to disagree.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:45 PM

155 posts, read 119,148 times
OP I think you did fine. Don’t let the haters get you down.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:45 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:

If not being baited into an argument with a service industry worker seems insecure to you I guess you and I probably don’t have a whole lot further to discuss.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:59 PM

17,729 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
If I’m to take him at his word, or even put myself in OP’s position I simply tell him to stop the car and I 1) order another car and 2) report him to his employer. That’s how adults respond to these things.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Disagree.

There's nothing uptight or insecure about his response. If someone is disrespecting you/someone you care about or "talking trash" as you put it, a person doesn't have to sit there and take it. Or waste time arguing or getting into a pissing contest. That's stupid. And for some leaving the situation is the best way to diffuse it and keep it from escalating. Also reporting someone to their superior is also a more mature way to handle it. This is one of those situations where you have to pick your battles wisely. Some things are just not worth wasting energy on.

But we can agree to disagree.
It sounds to me like the driver was just playfully bustin' his chops, not getting aggressive. The OP didn't really appreciate it, but he threw back a few zingers and all was fine. It wasn't a battle.

The same situation in a rowdy bar could have been a problem though.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
It sounds to me like the driver was just playfully bustin' his chops, not getting aggressive. The OP didn't really appreciate it, but he threw back a few zingers and all was fine. It wasn't a battle.
In which case I go back to the first post I made in this thread:

Quote:
Didn’t you mention elsewhere you’re in your mid-40s? If so here’s how you “handle” these comments: ignore. At your age winning at banter should be something you’ve outgrown. Unless you’re willing to just have fun and not let anything get under your skin. That you presented this (rather dubious) discussion tells me you lack that kind of maturity. Work on your mental and emotional maturity, OP. That’s how you handle these things.
Either ignore or decide going in that whatever you hear someone say you are not going to let it bother you.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:

It sounds to me like the driver was just playfully bustin' his chops...
Well of course he was "playful" about it. Because what he actually did was ogle the girl, insult the OP AND comment on his penis in front of "the lady." All while they are a captive audience inside his vehicle, an experience the OP is PAYING FOR, mind you.

Driver then (accurately) pegs her as a gold-digger and plays into that stereotype. Which she, of course, latches on to.

The saddest part is the OP thinks he "won" part of this interaction.

In fact, now that I think about it, I find it really hard to believe that in these days of dashcams and douchebags, any Lyft driver (especially in a place like New Orleans) would be stupid enough to say the things this guy said. It all sounds scripted.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:14 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Well of course he was "playful" about it. Because what he actually did was ogle the girl, insult the OP AND comment on his penis in front of "the lady." All while they are a captive audience inside his vehicle, an experience the OP is PAYING FOR, mind you.

Driver then (accurately) pegs her as a gold-digger and plays into that stereotype. Which she, of course, latches on to.

The saddest part is the OP thinks he "won" part of this interaction.

In fact, now that I think about it, I find it really hard to believe that in these days of dashcams and douchebags, any Lyft driver (especially in a place like New Orleans) would be stupid enough to say the things this guy said. It all sounds made up.
I don’t buy a Lyft /Uber drivers talking smack to passengers. I call BS!

I don’t think any of this ever happened.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

I don’t think any of this ever happened.
Seconded!

Old 07-07-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

Right?

I'm trying to imagine a grown man actually saying, "... or you're well hung ..." to another man.

The people I know from New Orleans are MUCH more literary than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.