Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 09:37 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

So, I took my girlfriend to New Orleans for her birthday, she had never been and it was one of her "bucket list" items. I've been so many times but I took her there at her request to please her.

First night I was taking her for a night on the town, she was dressed in a very nice summer dress. We hired a lyft and the driver pulled up.

I let her in first and then I got into the car, the driver, a middle aged man in his 50's looked at her then looked at me and said "how in the heck did you wind up with her?" So I said cheekily "I got skills man". He then said "Ha! You either got money or are well hung. Which is it?" I said "Both!". He said "Whatever." I think I won that battle of the banter.

Time for round 2. He said that she needed to take me to Galatoire's, give me 3 sezeracs then ask for my credit card and go to Sacks 5th Ave. He also said that "Honey, if he isn't putting a ring on that finger fast, you better wisen up quickly and dump him. He's an idiot if he hasn't already proposed." She then said "He has a good point there, maybe we can shop for engagement rings tomorrow." He won round 2.

Of course she loves this whole banter because it is furthering her goals but is making me look bad because he persisted. I can't tell you what he said next because of the PG-13 rules of this forum.

Skip to another day. I was at the bar and my gf had to go to the bathroom. When she went a guy said "Man, how much did you pay for that call girl?" I said "she's not a call girl, she's my girlfriend." He said "you lucky sob".

Now I like banter as much as the next guy, but I feel there's limits to this kind of thing. My gf is so attractive that everywhere we go it draws attention. I know that the Big Sleazy is a place where anything goes but it was something that irritated me a bit and looking for some better lines when this happens. I also realize these men were jealous of me but I feel like I always have to be on the defense to guard against these attacks.

Any advice on how to handle these types of comments?

Old 07-06-2019, 09:46 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Admit that you enjoy the humble brag? You’re with her for her looks, so you “win” that one...although if someone mistook me for a “call girl” I guess I’d have to find a pocket to keep ‘my slapping hand’ in, not my goal. Ever.

Last edited by RbccL; 07-06-2019 at 09:54 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 09:47 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Put a ring on it, LOL.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:49 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Pffttt Lol ��

Old 07-06-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Admit that you enjoy the humble brag? You’re with her for her looks, so you “win” that one...although if someone mistook me got a “call girl” I guess I’d have to find a pocket to keep ‘my slapping hand’ in, not my goal. Ever.
I almost put my beer in his face but it was a great micro brew and that would've been a waste. The other idea I had was to hit him over the head with the bottle but I carefully considered that it would not look good to her because she's been around men that had anger management issues in the past and if I showed that, it would not be good. So I politely finished my beer, got the check, and told her we had to leave.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:56 PM

It’s like you’ve never been with a pretty woman. Act like you been there before.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
It’s like you’ve never been with a pretty woman. Act like you been there before.
I was fine by the end of each night after the alcohol kicked in. Loosened me up and I took the comments in stride.

I've had pretty women before but there's pretty and then there's this woman I'm with. She's not the "girl next door look" she's the "perfect woman look".

Old 07-06-2019, 10:00 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I almost put my beer in his face but it was a great micro brew and that would've been a waste. The other idea I had was to hit him over the head with the bottle but I carefully considered that it would not look good to her because she's been around men that had anger management issues in the past and if I showed that, it would not be good. So I politely finished my beer, got the check, and told her we had to leave.
Well, at least the guys at the Big Easy weren’t shouting: “Show me your T***!” for the beads that night, or you woulda been reminded about how you won’t pay for the plastic surgery, because this trip is her present. Right?

Old 07-06-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I was fine by the end of each night after the alcohol kicked in. Loosened me up and I took the comments in stride.

I've had pretty women before but there's pretty and then there's this woman I'm with. She's not the "girl next door look" she's the "perfect woman look".
I gotta see this smoking hottie. Post a pic.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:07 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Admit that you enjoy the humble brag?
There's nothing humble about it.

OP, it comes with the territory. I think you handled yourself well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships