Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:25 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I've turned down dates with skinny girls before.... and no, not compeletely because they were skinny, but it didn't help that I find thin girls to be unattractive.
Oh, it surely works both ways, and in my mind--mine only, you have your preferences and that's fine--it's no less inherently judgmental to refuse to go out with a thin girl primarily for being thin, than it is to refuse to go out with a fat girl primarily for being fat.

But I'm assuming you didn't couch your lack of interest in "well, I was afraid she wasn't healthy". That's the point I was making...that it's an easy-out for people who dislike overweight people, claiming it's a health issue.

ETA: Then again, it's possible that you did think she was unhealthy...as I said, I'm not saying every person in the world does this. Just certainly the majority. Not a lot of people worry about a thin person's "health" in what he or she does to get to that weight, or asks, or even wonders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 11:30 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
it's no less inherently judgmental to refuse to go out with a thin girl primarily for being thin,
Crap... I'm a baaaaaaaaaaad boy.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:37 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
I agree. However, this is the only point in your post with which I agree.

I'm overweight by all generally accepted medical charts, and I eat about three times the amount of food that a normal adult man eats. My intake is generally "bad" food... I don't particularly care for vegetables. Give me 50 buffalo wings any day.

And yet, I was recently checked out at the doctor's office and I had blood work done... the results came back to show that I couldn't be healthier if I wanted to be. I work out regularly, and I'm constantly on the move. Just remember... most people don't burn out- they rust out.

My dad is 63 and has been quite fat for almost all of his life. He's still tough as a mule and his only actual health problem is a tiny twinge (which may be arthritis) in his lower back which he feels occasionally. That being said, it doesn't stop him from doing all kinds of yard work and house work... so it can't be that bad.

My mom is 58 and has been rather thin her whole life. She's got a fat file of health problems... including, but not limited to, osteoporosis, arthritis, high cholesterol, etc. Osteoporosis is common in thin women... I read studies about this... the scientists and doctors concluded that fat women, who need stronger bones to carry all of that weight, seem to fend off osteoporosis purely because their bodies have become tough from carrying that weight around for many years.

If being fat is so bad for your joints, why is it that my thin mom started getting arthritis at age 25 and my fat dad made it to 60 without any hint of arthritis or joint problems?

I agree with the last part. I had an obese great aunt who lived to be 98. Both of my wife's grandmothers are obese and they're both currently 87 years old. I play music at nursing homes all the time and I've realized over the years that the fat elderly people are healthier than the thin ones. Living as long as possible and enjoying life seem to be most affected by one's mindset and level of activity... not necessarily by one's weight.

Oh really? I, and many other fat people, would disagree with you. I enjoy life as much as I can given my circumstances... and I always have been that way, though the last time I was ever "slim" was in December of 1990 after having been terribly sick for two weeks.

Again, this isn't necessarily related to being fat as much as it is related to living an unhealthy life. One can be fit and fat.

I think that everyone should be encouraged to be healthier, regardless of their weight. There are plenty of thin people who smoke like chimneys and drink like fish, and do who knows what else, who need to shape up. It's not all about being fat.

I have been slim and I have been overweight and very overweight - so I am not hating fat people having been there! But, I am a nurse and can tell you that there are many obese in hospital, who think that they can just pop a pill and reverse the years of damage they have done to their bodies by overeating.

Eating too much food is an addiction, smoking is an addiction - all of these are bad for us physically. Being too thin can be bad for us yes, I think personally it's the TYPE of food we put into our bodies. We need to eat less fast food and more slow types!!!

Fat people enjoy life - but it is harder to move around if you are obese. And clothes look better on you if you have a waist!!

Just my opinon. But saying to obese people - you just stay the way you are - if you love them, is like digging their grave for them.

The human body was not designed to carry massive weight. Our heart will stay the same - but have to deal with a larger frame to pump blood around. Our joints don't stay the same - a hugely overweight person still has to stand on the same size knee joints that they would have if they were smaller.

America has gotten too fat. Maybe it's time we were all honest, and did something about it and took personal responsibility for our own health.

Love to everyone who is fat, thin or inbetween.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:45 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,359 times
I get along with women better than anyone else I know, I don't know why they always ask my opinion but I can say this. I would never get involved with an overweight women. No overweight women really thinks shes beautiful, thats some crap that their "group" feeds us. Any self confident guy I know is attracted to the same type. Any guy married to an overweight women did so because they failed with women that took care of themselves and had a choice. If you have something to offer you get to choose, not the other way around. No guy fantasizes about some human sloth.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:50 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post

Fat people enjoy life - but it is harder to move around if you are obese. And clothes look better on you if you have a waist!!.
Thay also look better if you have curves....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
The human body was not designed to carry massive weight.
Ribs were also not mean to be showing from the outside...

Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Thay also look better if you have curves....

Ribs were also not mean to be showing from the outside...

Again - I am not talking about extremes. Too skinny can be just as bad as too fat! I am talking about a healthy weight, a bit of fat on the bones just not too much! I would not be attracted to a fat man. But personaltiy is the most important thing. I would want my partner - if he was fat - to be slimmer (NOT skinny), for his own sake and longetivity.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Any guy married to an overweight women did so because they failed with women that took care of themselves and had a choice. If you have something to offer you get to choose, not the other way around. No guy fantasizes about some human sloth.
Sorry jackass. I'm just not attracted to skinny beanpoles. People that are too worried about diets and gym memberships are a snooze to me. Give me a real woman who is not self-absorbed and snooty anyday.

I did choose....I've dumped multiple skinny girls. Their personalities weren't the best....and there's just something unattractive about A-cups (and B-cups), ribs, a lack of curves, and single-digit sizes to me.

Have nice shallow life.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:56 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
For real???

Well...the OP still has a one in three chance.

Is that adults only or is it the entire population including children?
I believe it included only adults, but they have separate stats for children in several age ranges, all of which average about 18%.

Of course, it all depends whose stats you use. Some, like the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) claim the US leads the world with 64.5% (2004). The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) of the National Institutes of Health, which is the Federal Government's lead agency responsible for biomedical research on nutrition and obesity, claims 60% of US adults 20 and older are overweight, while 25% are also obese.

Big differences.

I usually stick with CDC numbers for trends since they seem to reflect reality better than most others.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:58 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I get along with women better than anyone else I know, I don't know why they always ask my opinion but I can say this. I would never get involved with an overweight women. No overweight women really thinks shes beautiful, thats some crap that their "group" feeds us. Any self confident guy I know is attracted to the same type. Any guy married to an overweight women did so because they failed with women that took care of themselves and had a choice. If you have something to offer you get to choose, not the other way around. No guy fantasizes about some human sloth.
Dude, how about you be careful with your generalities? If you're aiming to p!$$ people off, this is the way to do it.

It isn't true that NO overweight woman believes she's beautiful. MOST of them don't believe that they're beautiful, and the main reason for that is because society tells them they're not.

Self-confident guys are indeed attracted to self-confident girls. I can attest to that. However, not all self-confident girls are thin.

I am married to an overweight woman and that's my own choice, due to many factors including but not limited to the fact that I think she's beautiful. It was NOT because I failed with other women who were thinner and cared more about themselves. As a matter of fact, I dated a girl in college who wasn't that big (size 13 but on a very muscular frame)... she was on the synchronized swim team for four years and routinely built sets on the set crew. I dumped her (not the other way around) because she had no clue how to treat a man... not because she wasn't taking care of herself. She did eat the right foods.

In high school, I had a girlfriend who was a dancer... 115 pounds at 5'5". I dumped her because she was a loser... and when she wanted to get back together with me, I refused. I don't call that "failure".

The 5'3", 93-pound girl I dated was categorically unattractive to me... although, being thin, surely she "took care of herself" (by your definition).

For 17 months, I dated a girl who was 5'8" and never weighed more than 163 pounds. She could jump on a trampoline with the best of 'em, hike for hours, run around on the basketball court, etc. We had many problems but I will admit that I was never crazy about her size. She was "only" a size 10 and she thought she looked fat in a picture of herself at 140 pounds. That's a psychosis, obviously brought on by society.

I dated a girl who was 5'11" and somewhere around a size 14 on a very broad build. She was a runner, logging 3-5 miles per day, usually... and she was in training for a half-marathon when I knew her. She could run further than I could at that time, and she ate all the right foods. A condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome made it difficult for her to be "thin"... and most people with PCOS are an awful lot bigger than size 14. I dumped her because we were incompatible.

So, you see, I had choices... thin choices as well as fat choices. Don't assume that just because a man chooses to marry a fat woman, he had no other choice. I had TONS of other choices in my life... because, as you said, I had something to offer. I chose the woman I wanted... not the only woman I could get.

By the way, some people LIKE being fat. You may not understand that, but it's true.

Last edited by NWPAguy; 05-19-2008 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-19-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Dude, how about you be careful with your generalities? If you're aiming to p!$$ people off, this is the way to do it.

It isn't true that NO overweight woman believes she's beautiful. MOST of them don't believe that they're beautiful, and the main reason for that is because society tells them they're not.

Self-confident guys are indeed attracted to self-confident girls. I can attest to that. However, not all self-confident girls are thin.

I am married to an overweight woman and that's my own choice, due to many factors including but not limited to the fact that I think she's beautiful. It was NOT because I failed with other women who were thinner and cared more about themselves. As a matter of fact, I dated a girl in college who wasn't that big (size 13 but on a very muscular frame)... she was on the synchronized swim team for four years and routinely built sets on the set crew. I dumped her (not the other way around) because she had no clue how to treat a man... not because she wasn't taking care of herself. She did eat the right foods.

In high school, I had a girlfriend who was a dancer... 115 pounds at 5'5". I dumped her because she was a loser... and when she wanted to get back together with me, I refused. I don't call that "failure".

The 5'3", 93-pound girl I dated was categorically unattractive to me... although, being thin, surely she "took care of herself" (by your definition).

For 17 months, I dated a girl who was 5'8" and never weighed more than 163 pounds. She could jump on a trampoline with the best of 'em, hike for hours, run around on the basketball court, etc. We had many problems but I will admit that I was never crazy about her size. She was "only" a size 10 and she thought she looked fat in a picture of herself at 140 pounds. That's a psychosis, obviously brought on by society.

I dated a girl who was 5'11" and somewhere around a size 14 on a very broad build. She was a runner, logging 3-5 miles per day, usually... and she was in training for a half-marathon when I knew her. She could run further than I could at that time, and she ate all the right foods. A condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome made it difficult for her to be "thin"... and most people with PCOS are an awful lot bigger than size 14. I dumped her because we were incompatible.

So, you see, I had choices... thin choices as well as fat choices. Don't assume that just because a man chooses to marry a fat woman, he had no other choice. I had TONS of other choices in my life... because, as you said, I had something to offer. I chose the woman I wanted... not the only woman I could get.

By the way, some people LIKE being fat. You may not understand that, but it's true.
Excellent post. I'd give you positive rep, but I have to "spead it around" before I can give you any more rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships