Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:06 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Actually the CDC's stats claim "only" about 33% (2004) are overweight or obese. Certainly it seems like more...
For real???

Well...the OP still has a one in three chance.

Is that adults only or is it the entire population including children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,969,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Actually the CDC's stats claim "only" about 33% (2004) are overweight or obese. Certainly it seems like more...

What's considered "obese" is really ridiculous anymore. I'm 5'9" 190 lbs, I do not look fat in the least....I look average.....and according to my BMI, I am bordering on being considered "obese." I wish people would stop being hung up on weight....this is what forces people into eating disorders and gives people inferiority complexes. I do not understand why people are so hung up on looks. Its not as if skinny equals healthy anyways.

Anyways, I would rather look at the Lane Bryant catalog over Victoria's Secret any day.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:17 AM

730 posts, read 2,254,993 times
I'm pretty sure that full figured women are seeking the same qualities in a partner that other humans are

Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,345,786 times
I really wasn't aware that fat women were seeking something other than what thin women are seeking.
Most women that I know of (over 40 anyway) want honesty, love and to be treated as a partner and not a doormat.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:57 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,275 times
Fat people/thin people - all the same inside - wanting love, respect, friendship.

Just one point - being overweight is unhealthy. Being obese is dangerous. It isn't about bit butts or bbw it's about our hearts and our joints under strain from being overweight.

I think we all need to eat healthier and aim to be within a normal weight range - there are so many risks to obesity. If you love someone surely you want them to live as long as possible and enjoy life. It is more difficult to enjoy life as a fat/very fat person than a slim person. Also, fat people are prone to all sorts of diseases that will shorten their life, including heart disease. So, if you have a partner who is overweight/obese encourage them to be healthier so that you will have them with you for longer and so you can enjoy a healthier life together. End of sermon!!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Fat people/thin people - all the same inside - wanting love, respect, friendship.

Just one point - being overweight is unhealthy. Being obese is dangerous. It isn't about bit butts or bbw it's about our hearts and our joints under strain from being overweight.

I think we all need to eat healthier and aim to be within a normal weight range - there are so many risks to obesity. If you love someone surely you want them to live as long as possible and enjoy life. It is more difficult to enjoy life as a fat/very fat person than a slim person. Also, fat people are prone to all sorts of diseases that will shorten their life, including heart disease. So, if you have a partner who is overweight/obese encourage them to be healthier so that you will have them with you for longer and so you can enjoy a healthier life together. End of sermon!!

Being skinny does not equal being healthy either. How about all of the thin people who starve themselves, go on wacky diets, smoke cigarettes, etc, to stay thin? Not to mention all of the bulimia and other eating disorders brought on by a culture that glamorizes "Barbie" and rail-thin supermodels. Stop pushing the same old bullcrap that being "overweight" is bad and being skinny is good.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:32 AM

287 posts, read 897,399 times
The heading for your post is too general...I'm an over-weight woman (who is working on losing weight tho I do love all of my curves!) and I want what everyone else wants - to be happy with a person I care for and/or someone I find attractive. Just because a woman is overweight doesn't mean looks don't matter to them or they're going to date whoever asks them 'cause we're tired of sitting by the telephone! Men, if you like your women on the larger size kick convention and don't worry about what others think of you!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:52 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,577 times
Quote:
I agree. However, this is the only point in your post with which I agree.

Quote:
I'm overweight by all generally accepted medical charts, and I eat about three times the amount of food that a normal adult man eats. My intake is generally "bad" food... I don't particularly care for vegetables. Give me 50 buffalo wings any day.

And yet, I was recently checked out at the doctor's office and I had blood work done... the results came back to show that I couldn't be healthier if I wanted to be. I work out regularly, and I'm constantly on the move. Just remember... most people don't burn out- they rust out.

My dad is 63 and has been quite fat for almost all of his life. He's still tough as a mule and his only actual health problem is a tiny twinge (which may be arthritis) in his lower back which he feels occasionally. That being said, it doesn't stop him from doing all kinds of yard work and house work... so it can't be that bad.

My mom is 58 and has been rather thin her whole life. She's got a fat file of health problems... including, but not limited to, osteoporosis, arthritis, high cholesterol, etc. Osteoporosis is common in thin women... I read studies about this... the scientists and doctors concluded that fat women, who need stronger bones to carry all of that weight, seem to fend off osteoporosis purely because their bodies have become tough from carrying that weight around for many years.

If being fat is so bad for your joints, why is it that my thin mom started getting arthritis at age 25 and my fat dad made it to 60 without any hint of arthritis or joint problems?

Quote:
I think we all need to eat healthier and aim to be within a normal weight range - there are so many risks to obesity. If you love someone surely you want them to live as long as possible and enjoy life.
I agree with the last part. I had an obese great aunt who lived to be 98. Both of my wife's grandmothers are obese and they're both currently 87 years old. I play music at nursing homes all the time and I've realized over the years that the fat elderly people are healthier than the thin ones. Living as long as possible and enjoying life seem to be most affected by one's mindset and level of activity... not necessarily by one's weight.

Quote:
It is more difficult to enjoy life as a fat/very fat person than a slim person.
Oh really? I, and many other fat people, would disagree with you. I enjoy life as much as I can given my circumstances... and I always have been that way, though the last time I was ever "slim" was in December of 1990 after having been terribly sick for two weeks.

Quote:
Also, fat people are prone to all sorts of diseases that will shorten their life, including heart disease.
Again, this isn't necessarily related to being fat as much as it is related to living an unhealthy life. One can be fit and fat.

Quote:
So, if you have a partner who is overweight/obese encourage them to be healthier so that you will have them with you for longer and so you can enjoy a healthier life together. End of sermon!!
I think that everyone should be encouraged to be healthier, regardless of their weight. There are plenty of thin people who smoke like chimneys and drink like fish, and do who knows what else, who need to shape up. It's not all about being fat.

Last edited by NWPAguy; 05-19-2008 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-19-2008, 11:03 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Hmmmmmmm. This may not be the case in jennaflorrie's case--she came off nice enough--but I dislike the whole "overweight is unhealthy" thing because often, it is just an easy way out for people who want to be disgusted with a fat person, yet come off actually sounding humanitarian about it.

Anyone here who has turned down a date because the person was 30 pounds overweight, please tell me it was because you were worried about the person's health. If so, that's awesome! Since your concern is so genuine, I assume you remained friends with the person in order to follow up and give health tips.

But in most cases, I doubt it. You said "no," turned around and never looked back.

Let's be real, people. I don't see all the people so concerned about overweight people's "health" lining up to become nurses or doctors or, heaven forbid, suggesting non-weight-related things that could improve the overweight person's health right now, like yoga or daily walks.

And yes, it's true, very very true, that thin people can be just as unhealthy, if not more so. I can pretty much guarantee that what my bullemic sister-in-law is doing to her heart by daily self-induced vomiting is not less than what a person is doing to his or her heart by carrying around some extra pounds.

We are a physically sick nation, fat, thin or average. Not many of us eat all nonprocessed/raw foods and exercise in exactly the correct way. But the difference is, when you're fat, it's the world's right to "kindly" and "concernedly" point it out to you--whereas when your unhealthy habits don't show on the outside, not only aren't you picked on, you're actually commended for it...no matter what you did to get there.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

Anyone here who has turned down a date because the person was 30 pounds overweight
I've turned down dates with skinny girls before.... and no, not compeletely because they were skinny, but it didn't help that I find thin girls to be unattractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships