Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:58 PM

72 posts, read 226,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Why?
Yea I wonder why too, I'm 23 and I was born in 1985 and I'm getting married in October. Should I not get married to the man I love too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 01:00 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,478 times
I got married at age 40 and nobody EVER insinuated that I was gay, not ever.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:52 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,862 times
I can relate. In the provincial Southeast, the dating pool is cleared out faster than a Sunday brunch buffet by the church crowd LOL..That means it's almost more like be married by 25,or even 22 (!) not 30...whew thank God I am more progressive than that..but it is a pain that all my peers have gone and done the American Dream and I have no one to do anything with, even other women... But at the same time I have yet to see what they will look like down the road.
I am 30 and single. I felt a lot more worried about it back in the day....
I remember feeling "desperate" at 27..because that's like "approaching" 30....and my last relationship, which was over six months ago...I admit I pushed for a commitment, at 29, but then I realized that I'd gotten this old-why should I settle? I just need to get out of whacko Georgia and see what "normal" people do all day...Where I live is no parameters believe me.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:30 PM

24 posts, read 75,023 times
i say american want to get married by the the age of 30 becaue american insecure. all american insecure and must get marrioed by age of 30. in my country stay single and have fun until mid 30 or not marry at all.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:25 PM

330 posts, read 1,314,314 times
30? Please.....!!!! I am 43 and never been married. Not even engaged or near it. No one says anything to me or asks me questions about my single status. Maybe because I live in LA County, CA and it is more progressive here than the midwest or southern states. I really don't know. I would have loved to have gotten married in my 20's or 30's. It didn't happen and there is nothing I can do about the past. It feels strange when I hear some of my classmates are already grandparents and I never got to be a mother. Or, when I see people I used to babysit when they were small children with their spouses and children of their own. There are advantages to being single. I can come and go when I want. I do as I please. I am responsible for no one else but myself. My sister settled for a man because she can't stand to be single. They were incompatible and had nothing in common. They divorced 4 years later and share joint custody of their 5 year old daughter. It has not gone well and they don't get along or communicate with each other. He is constantly sabotaging my sister and her plans. She has to live close by her exhusband. If she chooses to move, she will have to wait another 13 years. I have some single friends that are a doctor, school counselor and a teacher. They travel, go on vacations and weekend getaways all of the time. They are enjoying life and pursuing the fruits of their labor instead of being tied down to a husband and kids. Singlehood is not looked down on or seen as a mental flaw like in previous generations.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:33 PM

973 posts, read 3,305,191 times
I thought we were called "spinsters, old maids or dried up ol' prunes????" LOL

I heard the same thing before I got married when I was 30. I'll tell anyone who listens that I'm glad I waited and lived my own life before getting married.

Now I find out I was gay, too? Bummer!

Old 10-05-2008, 07:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Hey Gizmobizmo,
Cool name. Are you really gay ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
I thought we were called "spinsters, old maids or dried up ol' prunes????" LOL

I heard the same thing before I got married when I was 30. I'll tell anyone who listens that I'm glad I waited and lived my own life before getting married.

Now I find out I was gay, too? Bummer!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:00 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bby07 View Post
But the real question I'm asking is are we supposed to end up married with babies and a job and a home to call our own? And why are people considered gay if they're not married by a certain age?
They aren't. Good grief. How old are you? 12?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:17 AM

973 posts, read 3,305,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Hey Gizmobizmo,
Cool name. Are you really gay ?
LOL
No, I'm not gay.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:15 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Show me how many people that married very young or in their early twenties that are still married compared to those that waited to experience life, gain maturity and have a better idea of who they are and what they really want in a partner. I consider people that wait to get married in their thirties bright. How can you help when you meet the right person at the right time in your life to get married and it is in your thirties instead of twenties? To label someone is just stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships