Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 05:14 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,193,244 times

Advertisements

Measuring success of a man is subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 05:45 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
It's been over a year since this thread started and I still feel the same way. I have no interest in owning a house!! I guess there is something abnormal about me. I don't want responsibility, committment...just want to be able to get up and move some place else without strings attached. My spouse feels the same way.

I guess I can only handle one committment at a time. And I guess I'm not a good investor.

And of course I still feel the same way about expectations for a 30 something to own a house - and that it's a foolish one.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:55 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,193,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
It's been over a year since this thread started and I still feel the same way. I have no interest in owning a house!! I guess there is something abnormal about me. I don't want responsibility, committment...just want to be able to get up and move some place else without strings attached. My spouse feels the same way.

I guess I can only handle one committment at a time. And I guess I'm not a good investor.

And of course I still feel the same way about expectations for a 30 something to own a house - and that it's a foolish one.
Agree. I have no interest in owning a house either for a number of reasons. When I decide to retire around year 2045, I'll buy a small cheap place with my wife in Turkey or Montenegro or somewhere like that.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,857,762 times
They'd settle for a Lamborghini since it's usually worth more than a house, but they are afraid that when they tell him to get out - they're filing for divorce - he might drive off and deliberately run into a tree!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:51 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
My thoughts are that if a gal feels she has the right to quiz a guy about his financial situation, i.e., purchasing a house...then the guy has just as much right to ask her the same question.

I don't know the gal who asked the question and obviously can't read her mind....however, how do we know that she is not irresponsible, deeply in debt and looking for someone to bail her out. Perhaps in her mindset, if he is buying a house, then he must have money.

Several posters have indicated their preference is to not buy a house...and that does not indicate whether or not they are financially responsible or a stable person.

When a couple is just dating and nowhere's near the point of getting serious, I don't see where either one has to reveal anything about their personal finances. However, when it comes to wanting to share the rest of your life with someone (and the legalities of marriage), then obviously both need to be made aware of the other's financial situation.

If someone asked me right off the bat 'why I didn't own a home', I would ask 'why they want to know'.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:24 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,343 times
30 years old , have a house, it is not a Serious problem..

Old 10-21-2010, 11:21 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I think asking a guy why he is still in an apartment might be a fair question. A young person who owns a house appears to have his head on straight, while an older person who does not, appears to have some kind of problem, or he may have a good reason. My oldest son made a down payment on his first home when he was 19 years old, and had just graduated from high school. Not everyone is able to do that, because many young people would rather party or buy toys. Not everyone thinks the same. I can see where that might help a woman determine if a guy was good husband material.
I completely disagree. (It does show that your son is very mature and responsible, however, which are good traits.) Most young people don't want the added responsibility of owning a home, as it restricts their options. In this type of economy, it's easier to relocate for a job than to deal with a mortgage.

From a personal standpoint, I wouldn't want to be involved with a man that already owns his own home. I'd find it somewhat controlling, unless he were planning to stay single. If he's owned it for a while; he may also be set in his ways. If we were to decided to get marry, there's a good chance he won't want to move since he's invested in it already, or due to complications of selling, etc. I'd be moving in, changing the dynamics of "his" house when I'm trying to make myself feel "at home" also. Instead of it being "our" house, I'd be a stranger until we strike a compromise. I'd rather buy our first home together than deal with that. I'm sure others think differently, but that's my take.

There are other ways to determine what most woman may consider "husband material": Maturity, his treatment toward family, how he relates to children (if you want them), selflessness (which is important for both partners), Demonstrating (financial and overall) responsibility in other ways, etc. Owning a house, while a bonus for him, shouldn't be a prerequisite.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:

I think what a lot of people (including me) have tried to say is that "No, I don't own a home" can be a reasonable, respectable answer. It's the reason why not that is key. There's a big difference between "I could own a home but I enjoy moving and seeing different places" and "I don't own a home because I haven't figured out how to budget my money."

Old 10-22-2010, 10:53 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,407,619 times
Quote:

It took me a year to sell my house. I wanted out of the neighborhood so bad it wasn't funny. It was one of those neighborhoods where everybody just foreclosed...and the builders built a bunch of houses...and it was just a ghost town. And I actually pay much more in rent than I did in mortgage.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Also, "I'm waiting to get married to buy a house" is an answer I think most women would approve of, including the golddiggers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships