Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 07:45 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,857,762 times

Advertisements

Feminism’s Terrible Blunder « Don’t Marry

Exerpt:

"Some time ago (15 years?) the Wall Street Journal had one of those human interest stories they run regularly. I wish I could dig it up to get the details exactly right, but I well remember the salient points: The story was about a woman, never married, who had risen to the top of some fairly big company. As I recall, it wasn’t Fortune 500 size, but it was big and she had done a great job at directing the company’s growth and making it successful. In the process, she herself had amassed a seven-figure net worth, with an annual income of a half-million or so.
She was 46, as I recall, and couldn’t find a suitable man to date and marry. The article chronicled her attempts to rectify this situation, including her hiring an expensive service in NYC that specialized in matching up busy executives with suitable mates.
The service matched her up with some men, but none were much interested."

Letters in response......

"one guy nailed the situation dead-center. He said the woman was failing to see the basic economic principle of comparative advantage, on which all successful trade, commerce, and business is based. He wrote that he was surprised such a financially savvy person was apparently oblivious to what was so obvious to him.
Comparative advantage means you are most valuable to someone who needs what you have, because without you, they can’t have it."

Then....

"The letter-writer’s point was that the woman executive in the article was failing to grasp this economic fact. The male executives weren’t “afraid of strong women,” they weren’t interested because this woman didn’t offer them anything they didn’t already have."

Old 01-23-2010, 07:47 PM

160 posts, read 454,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post

lol...J/K...a lot of what you say here is very true...however I think she was looking for a 40+ year old partner anyway so fertility may not be much of a factor.
AMEN Solytaire....no 40+ year old man is interested in starting over again....and neither are we. Our kids are grown and out of the house! Fertility is the LAST thing on our mind!

Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 PM

160 posts, read 454,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
On the other hand, what's with all the head games? If you like somebody, man or woman, show interest. Put some "sweat" in the game. Why is everyone so passive? Showing interest is not pursuing and it does not make you weak. To the OP, if he gave you his number I would say balls in your court. If you like him call him.

Robee77....since I initially wrote this thread, there have been many responses. I do see both sides, and if a guy gives me his number next time....I definately will think twice.

Funny thing is, after all this. I was in a gas station 30 miles from home yesterday, and the guy behind the counter recognized me from when I stopped in there over 2 months ago, and asked me out. I didn't even remember the guy. He wasn't my type, HOWEVER, after reading so many mens comments on here who were treated poorly and shot down by a woman, I made a point to treat him with respect and kindness.

Bottom line is....if a guy is interested, he WILL pursue.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:51 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llratke View Post
Robee77....since I initially wrote this thread, there have been many responses. I do see both sides, and if a guy gives me his number next time....I definately will think twice.

Funny thing is, after all this. I was in a gas station 30 miles from home yesterday, and the guy behind the counter recognized me from when I stopped in there over 2 months ago, and asked me out. I didn't even remember the guy. He wasn't my type, HOWEVER, after reading so many mens comments on here who were treated poorly and shot down by a woman, I made a point to treat him with respect and kindness.

Bottom line is....if a guy is interested, he WILL pursue.
I think any person can get conditioned to negative stimuli, so if a man gets blown out of the sky harshly all the time for taking a chance, often time he will not bother any more.

I've had a lot of women get up on me and go hot and heavy trying to make a move on me and if I'm not interested I think there is a way of being firm yet decent and polite.

Basically I think the world would go around a lot better if people were a bit nicer to one another.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,857,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think any person can get conditioned to negative stimuli, so if a man gets blown out of the sky harshly all the time for taking a chance, often time he will not bother any more.

I've had a lot of women get up on me and go hot and heavy trying to make a move on me and if I'm not interested I think there is a way of being firm yet decent and polite.

Basically I think the world would go around a lot better if people were a bit nicer to one another.
Lots of luck trying to get teens to take this approach. The following problems:

- good people not getting married.
- teen pregnancy and single motherhood.
- high rate of STDs.
- needing many years of post secondary education to make something of yourself.
- drugs and steroid use.

all stem from the dog eat dog world that is the modern public secondary school. Few can overcome every issue on all fronts. I suppose that if the first one is the only one a person misses on, they are pretty successful in life.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:24 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
I suppose that if the first one is the only one a person misses on, they are pretty successful in life.
Except they will die a spinster or a lonely old man

Old 01-24-2010, 02:32 PM

437 posts, read 675,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Older women can have children too. As long as all the parts are still there.
Not true. She can have a uterus, ovaries, etc.... but if she lacks eggs, she's out of luck.

The facts are:

1. the older a woman becomes, the less fertile she is.
2. eventually, she will be unable to conceive, period.

Yes, fertility treatment can help. Or you can try implanting embryoes in her, etc... but these treatments are expensive and quite hit and miss. Why go through all of that to give a 45 year old a chance to have a kid, with the high risk it entails for birth defects, when you can just impregnant a 22 year old?

This above is hardwired into men at a primal level which is why the hot 22 year old is in much more demand than a 45 year old woman, even one who is quite attractive. A 45 year old man is naturally drawn to the younger woman over the older one even though his chances are better with the older one since the demand is so much more for the younger and thus he faces greater competition.

Even if he has no desire for children, his attraction switches still flip more for the younger woman, thus leaving the older one in the cold.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
dear OP
per profile, you look pretty young.
probably not old enough to have seen 40 years of change.
last 40 years, we "domesticated" men
women, on the other hand, were encouraged to be "assertive" aka aggressive.
and that my friend is why those not domesticated, AA and mexican, are starting to look mighty good.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
These reasons may be relevant (and for arguments sake be true) for men (maybe like you) who are determined to never get married or have kids. However men still do get married, have children and pursue/show active interest in younger women regardless of these reasons.

My post simply reflected my opinion that men are just less likely to actively pursue women over a certain age and therefore women over that age need to be more pro-active.

Personally, I think it sucks, but such is life..
Yes, some men will still go after women because they are interested in children and marriage. However, the reasons I noted are why so many men do not pursue to the extent they once did. Also, the older men who might be a companion to the OP (I tihnk that is Robee70) having gone through the gristle mill that is the corrupt family court, may chose to never pursue women again.

Most men who go after a woman of a certain age are:

1. younger men seeking easier prey (yes, I'm blunt)
2. older men who have may have signifcant life experiences.

#1 many women do not want for that long term committment because those men often lack the status and money that a woman seeks. Also, those men don't want a long term relationship, just pump and dump.

As for #2, you first have to remove the men whom are married. After that, you have men who were:
1. divorced and thus often financially destroyed
2. confirmed bachelors whom have either given up on women or have upped their game so they can go for younger women.
3. men whom never dated successfully and are ill suited for a relationship. Most women aren't interested in "training" them.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Have to consult with the oldest woman to have a child....find out if her child was perfectly healthy or not.
Ask her as well how much the fertility treatments cost. And how often they had to try before succeeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships