Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:51 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,679,521 times

Advertisements

I would be very interested in thoughts from the floor regarding my last post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 01:54 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well if they're unemployed, it makes good sense to look for a companion that is working. Obviously it works for some, what better way to get a free place to live, someone buying food and paying the bills.
Should have said, lazy, unambitious , unemployed person.
Because they would be a leech and if the supportive person is smart they would see it before they got drained.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I can only see a FAT or UGLY women supporting a unemployed man
I don't know. I worked with a 48 year old woman who had 2 full time jobs. She wasn't really too bad - but not great either but she had a 25 year old husband who didn't work. He was from another country - green card marriage I think and she ended up having to work two jobs when his 2 sisters with their kids, and mother moved over to join him in his nice home, none of them able to work.

I know a guy who was 50 and in a similar situation but reversed. His common law wife was 26 with 3 kids and her sister, niece and aunt and uncle moved in, and he ended up deep in debt and lost his house. He wasn't bad looking, but she was only so-so but young.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I would be very interested in thoughts from the floor regarding my last post!
All you have to do is have a nice house, nice car and extra money for beer (maybe plenty) and food and you should have no trouble finding some kind of man.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:01 PM

416 posts, read 698,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
No wonder you have so much trouble getting dates. You have no clue about women at all, and certainly not those over 40....many times those fresh young chicks are competing with US.
For one night stands maybe...

Old 04-03-2010, 02:01 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,273,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I can only see a FAT or UGLY women supporting a unemployed man
That statement has so much wrong with it, and shows such a basic lack of understanding of the ups and downs of life, that I don't know where to start.

Let's hope that if any woman ever deigns to marry you, that you never, ever, EVER get laid off.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Using my phone, so this is a brief place holder for later.

I'm thinking that at 40 and beyond, one needs to be able to answer a couple of basic questions in order to have a succesful relationship: who are you? What are you about?

Who you are isn't answered by your job, by your recreational activites, by parental status, by race or by age. It's not an easy question, really. It didn't matter in ones 20s or 30s, bt it matters more as you get older. When you are 30, "I just like hanging you with so and so" is enough, but it is t anymore.

Sure, a lot of people - especially men because they can, but women do it too - avoid the issue by dating younger. I have occasionally dabbled with younger men, and it absolutley is a real benefit to dating htem. It's easier. There's no unspoken question "who are you" to answer. Men really benefit from this, because they can show their accomplishments to a younger woman; she's not yet reached he stage where she's wondering who you are as it relates to personal character.

At this point though it is very glaring when a person can't answer the question; and we know it even if he question isn't asked.
Depends of the goals of those seeking the relationship.
Some of all ages prefer a casual companionship which alleviates the need for such questions.

IMHO the answers to both your questions would be one of two thing.

Different people would all answer them in a similar fashion because they seem to point towards basic aspects of honesty, respect, and communication that are the center points of a stable and mature human.

Outside those types of principles there seems no clear answer.
Because if a person is not defined by all the possible things they have done/not done and will choose/not choose to do what is left but the above.

Similar to the Koan riddles that it is rumored ancient martial and enlightenment masters were fond of....
Ex .... "What is the sound of one hand clapping."

there is really no answer, just teaches one perspective.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:04 PM

416 posts, read 698,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
That statement has so much wrong with it, and shows such a basic lack of understanding of the ups and downs of life, that I don't know where to start.

Let's hope that if any woman ever deigns to marry you, that you never, ever, EVER get laid off.
I like the use of 2 evers, with the second one in CAPS lol

Other than that, you missed his point. I think he's talking about the beginning of a relationship, not one in which the relationship is formed and the guy has a bad break.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
Oh, and about me. I'm 28 years old, I have a moderate learning disability, I'm on disability payments for that moderate learning disability but I'm pursuing my associates degree in Information Technology. I have 11% body fat percentage (Ranges anywhere from 8% to 13% at times), I have a black belt and a green belt in two different styles of Taekwondo, I enjoy mountain biking, snowboarding, cooking, foreign languages, doing things with my hands, rock climbing and weightlifting. Honest to god, an older woman like you wouldn't be able to keep up with me (My current can't keep up with me), especially since you seem as though you spend money on baubles instead of things that actually bring lasting fun, entertainment and joy. You probably will bore me to death.
BTW, which two styles of TKD do you study?

Old 04-03-2010, 02:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

My point is if you are already together and lose your job then that's a different situation. I'm talking about not having a job and trying to go on dates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships